Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brexit begins
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I send fraternal greetings to George Washington and his men ! I have no time for German George and the rest of his gang !

Scot47
now known as Jimmy Ninetoes
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is johnslat anyway ? has the Grim Reaper paid him a visit ? Let's hope not.
GF

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Where is johnslat anyway ? has the Grim Reaper paid him a visit ? Let's hope not.

He might still be in post-election shock. Many people are.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The IV drip of Bruce Springsteen. Some called it and some were shocked.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do we give him a collective prod ?
Hod

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to ask, did you vote to stay or leave?

The appalling behaviour continues. Those who voted leave are now being labelled as racists. What a disgraceful campaign of lies it's all been.

But people still trust politicians with their money and lives even after the biggest mess seen in most of our lifetimes. People in developing countries learned long ago to look after families and number one. It's only those in civilised countries who think the government will look after them.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a secret ballot here.
Hod

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:

What about grahamb?

I've been posting a lot more recently (sorry) partly because my stalker has been so quiet. I hope it continues.
GF

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
How do we give him a collective prod ?

He will probably stay away for a while. Trump is now officially the President of the United States. Johnslat went on and on about how Hillary had the race already in her pocket and how Trump had no chance. It's actually amazing how traumatized some pro-Hillary types have gotten. I've seen otherwise normal people degenerate to the point of almost needing to be sectioned.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod wrote:

The appalling behaviour continues. Those who voted leave are now being labelled as racists. What a disgraceful campaign of lies it's all been.

The campaigns on both sides were disgraceful. I have nothing positive to say about either camp.

However, while I don't believe that everyone who voted to leave is a racist, I do believe that most of the racists voted to leave. Certain elements of the leave campaign were more than happy to get into bed with them, and leverage their hatred, to get the desired result. In doing so, they have legitimised it and emboldened them.

Although I am as white and English as it is possible to be, my family is very mixed, and we have seen a huge (and I mean HUGE) increase in racism. I find it hard to believe that it's a coincidence. Especially since is often very explicitly and very vocally connected to the Brexit vote. I have relatives aged mid-20's and younger who have been completely blindsided. Of course, they have all faced occasional racist comments, etc. but not the routine abuse they are getting now, and more importantly, previously other people would have supported them, but suddenly no-one speaks up anymore.

It's put the clock back 40 years, and it breaks my heart that they are having to deal with crap that I thought we'd stamped out decades ago.

I can completely accept that this may not have been the intended consequence of many leave voters, but it was an entirely predictable consequence. Leave voters were the majority, and if most of them really aren't racist, they should be just as horrified at what is happening. As the majority, they are in the best possible position to stand up to this and to speak out, but the silence is deafening, and the situation continues to get worse.
Dr X

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GF wrote:
Trump is now officially the President of the United States.

King Henry VIII is revived. Smile
https://www.creators.com/read/jamie-stiehm/12/16/king-henry-viii-pays-us-a-royal-visit

HLJHLJ wrote:
Leave voters were the majority, and if most of them really aren't racist, they should be just as horrified at what is happening

Brexit is not the will of the British people – it never has been.
http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2016/10/24/brexit-is-not-the-will-of-the-british-people-it-never-has-been/
Hod

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this first interviewee.

https://www.facebook.com/Channel4News/videos/10153842562976939/

The lazy sloppy journalist must have had visions of promotion to a real job after picking that misguided old fool.

I would cite another reason for any apparent increase in racism, and that's Political Correctness. Every country has its fair share of racists. It's better if these people have their say rather than being silenced by PCness.

Abusing people in the street is never OK, that's just pathetic and cowardly, but if the reasons for people's racist minds were better understood, we could at least discuss it with them. Instead they've been silenced for years and have now chosen the EU referendum to let off steam.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For something as politically significant as exiting the EU, perhaps just one poll determining remaining or exiting is going to far and too fast. On the other hand come to think of it maybe it isn't going to far and too fast. Just looking at the British cities becoming packed with immigrants, many in the country just looking for free handouts and many who could care a less about the institutions and liberal beliefs of the country would make me want my country to exit, that is if I were British. They may be coming from countries that are hell holes, but it is their minds that are making it that way.

On the other side in the USA, I was glad to see "Clock Boy" lose his case in an American court of law. Now he and his family can stay in the area of the world that is the scion of reason and decency.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod wrote:

Abusing people in the street is never OK, that's just pathetic and cowardly, but if the reasons for people's racist minds were better understood, we could at least discuss it with them. Instead they've been silenced for years and have now chosen the EU referendum to let off steam.

I agree, However disliking immigration is not necessarily racist. Who wants people coming to the West in droves, when they are basically the people that have made their countries different in a bad way. What are those people also going to do to the West? What about the enclaves in Britain filled with people that sympathize with Sharia law. Understanding their minds and reason isn't going to change them. Many of these people are religious bigots. All they do is refuse to be clear and answer honestly about their beliefs. You can't reason with them. I have seen this stuff for years and years with people arriving from the Middle East into the US into our educational institutions. They simply come wanting things their way.
Hod

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Clock boy" was 14 at the time. I found that case ridiculous and tragic. It's also irrelevant in this thread as I really do believe no school in Europe would overreact in that daft and bizarre way.

The EU referendum wasn't about immigration.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 25 of 27

Jump to: