Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will taking CELTA get me a job with a survivable wage?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PedestrianPickel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:51 am    Post subject: Will taking CELTA get me a job with a survivable wage? Reply with quote

Hey there!

I didn't know what else to write besides 'survivable wage' to keep the title short enough. I am a 23 year old Canadian female with loads of traveling experience, especially in Asia. You could call me one of those young, wandering souls who never went to university but got her own 'global degree' instead. I've taught in a bit in northern India, Morocco, I'm a board member with an English Education NGO in Nepal, and also teach ESL for 4 hours per week as a volunteer gig here in Canada. I decided recently that I was going to build up my tool box, and also try and make a basic living off of it while traveling....and take a CELTA!

I'm a simple person- I need very basic things to be happy, like enough money to get by with a bit extra. My question is, by getting certified in CELTA, will I be able to meet these basic needs through a teaching position abroad? I know that countries like South Korea and Japan require an undergraduate for you to get a job. I'm open to all the rest, though! Also, will my previous volunteering experience sway my employers even a little bit?

Thanks very much for reading! Viva the wandering world! Smile
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the pool of (legal) teaching opportunities is shrinking for job seekers who lack at least a BA. You're limited to the Americas, non-EU Europe, and Germany. Wages will be mediocre and won't allow for much in the way of savings nor extensive travel.

Seriously consider completing a bachelor's degree --- preferably one related to TESOL --- if you plan to make TEFL a career.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto. You can legally work in central/eastern Europe without a degree, but CELTA is an entry level qual here, your volunteer stuff won't count, and as the majority of STUDENTS in this region have a BA degree at least (often more), your credibility as a teacher will be questioned.
PedestrianPickel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Asia will 100% be closed off to me?
I've seen postings in some countries like Indonesia that don't require a BA, also heard of a few others from people who have gone abroad to teach ( like my volunteer coordinator).

Private tutoring or smaller international schools? Private English schools/ clubs?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asia expert Suphanburi will likely pop on this thread and can tell you about current and/or impending requirements for Asia.

There were more options 5+ years ago for job seekers without degrees. But some countries now require teachers to hold a BA regardless if they're a local or foreigner. Visa regulations can and do change, which is why a degree would be a smart investment if TEFL is your career path.
PedestrianPickel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to hear as much advice as possible, thanks guys!
Also, does anyone know if a CELTA certificate ever 'expires'?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PedestrianPickel wrote:
Also, does anyone know if a CELTA certificate ever 'expires'?

The CELTA is an entry-level cert and has no expiration date. Ditto for the SIT TESOL and Trinity CertTESOL.
PedestrianPickel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so now for the most basic question of all.
Is it worth it for me to do the CELTA?
I'd love to acquire new skills on being an ESL teacher, and I suppose it will get get me one step closer to living and teaching abroad, even if it's a baby step and I'll have to look into degrees a little more?

The quick replies are MUCH appreciated Smile
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to teach, the CELTA is useful for you-and your prospective students. It doesn't overcome lack of a degree in countries where one is legally required, but it is of value.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PedestrianPickel wrote:
So Asia will 100% be closed off to me?
I've seen postings in some countries like Indonesia that don't require a BA, also heard of a few others from people who have gone abroad to teach ( like my volunteer coordinator).

Private tutoring or smaller international schools? Private English schools/ clubs?

As of Jan 2016 and the advent of AEC all of east Asia now,
if you are referring to "legal work as a teacher" (defined as having a proper visa and work permit)
NOW (unlike even last year in some countries)
requires a minimum education to a bachelor degree level as part of the visa application process.

No degree = no visa and no chance of legal work as a teacher (paid, unpaid, volunteer, public schools, private schools,. language centers, etc.)

That said, illegal work abounds (especially for younger, female teachers) but it is not without risk. It's not like you can complain if you don't get paid.
If you are caught working illegally you risk detention in an immigration center prior to your being deported (often at YOUR expense).

The CELTA will make you a better teacher but it won't make you legal (in east Asia).

nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PedestrianPickel wrote:
Is it worth it for me to do the CELTA?

I'd love to acquire new skills on being an ESL teacher, and I suppose it will get get me one step closer to living and teaching abroad, even if it's a baby step and I'll have to look into degrees a little more?

Option 1: Teach with just a CELTA but be quite limited to where you can legally work. Pay won't be all that great nor can you count on opportunities for advancement.

Option 2: Get a TEFL-related BA to teach more places in the world, including Asia.

Option 3: Get a degree in Education/Elementary Education or in a subject area (e.g., math, English arts, social sciences, science, etc.); complete certification/licensure to teach your subject; get a couple of years' experience in a Canadian public school; and then head abroad to just about any country of your choice to teach children in a top international or western-accredited private school. Very doable given your young age.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just to put a bit of perspective on the 4-6 years getting your B.Ed, teaching certification and experience:

An EFL teacher without a degree will not be legal in SE Asia. They can probably earn up to CAD$1000 with no job security and always at risk.
A CELTA won't replace the lack of a degree.

An EFL teacher with BA degree (legal teacher) and will earn about 30-40k thb (CAD$1150-1500) in Thailand.
In places like Korea they can earn up to CAD$2500 + airfare, housing and severance allowance (public school jobs also come with medical and pension).

The CELTA will make you a better teacher and help you stay employed but won't add much to your salary. A TEFL cert (like a CELTA) IS needed if you want to work in a public school.

A certified teacher in an international school will start at $2500 (in countries like Thailand) and work up to $5000 PLUS a generous benefits package in many countries in east or SE Asia.

In Thailand (where EFL teachers earn about $1200) I currently earn about CAD$5000/month along with 14 weeks annual vacation, housing, medical. etc.

PedestrianPickel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A certified teacher in an international school will start at $2500 (in countries like Thailand) and work up to $5000 PLUS a generous benefits package in many countries in east or SE Asia.

In Thailand (where EFL teachers earn about $1200) I currently earn about CAD$5000/month along with 14 weeks annual vacation, housing, medical. etc.

So, you've got your BA of Education, then you taught in your home country for some time (1-2 years?) before moving abroad? Or you are from Thailand?

Thanks again!
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PedestrianPickel wrote:
Quote:

So, you've got your BA of Education, then you taught in your home country for some time (1-2 years?) before moving abroad? Or you are from Thailand?

Thanks again!

I am a displaced Canuk.

PedestrianPickel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha is that right EH??!
A Canadian as well.

May I ask your qualifications? BA in Education with a lust for the Orient?!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: