Site Search:
 
Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why don't you invest?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Shakey



Joined: 29 Aug 2014
Posts: 199

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RustyShackleford wrote:
Managed to squirrel my way into a position without rent, utilities and still a fairly good salary and the company is gonna pay for my flight to Tokyo this year and my flight back to the states the next inshallah. :D

I guess living that MGTOW lifestyle means that living in Saudi Arabia is no big deal for you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shakey



Joined: 29 Aug 2014
Posts: 199

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rxk22 wrote:
I wouldn't call owning a house investing. Esp in Japan, as the house it's self loses value rapidly. It is more like owning an asset, like a car. When compared to renting, saves money in the long run.

Oh yeah. NEVER offshore your money.


Andrew Hallam, a Canadian English teacher in Singapore, wrote two books recently for expats who are interested in investing. The first one is Millionaire Teacher: The Nine Rules of Wealth You Should Have Learned in School, and the second one is titled, Global Expatriate's Guide to Investing. These two books, especially Millionaire Teacher, will set you straight on what you need to do in order to get started investing in low-cost ETFs.

One problem, however. Some discount brokerages, such as TD International in Luxembourg, refuse customers from Japan. I am not clear on the details, but the Japanese government has made it difficult for some discount brokers like TD to serve customers in Japan. TD does not want to hand over all of the information on their clients to the Japanese government. However, there are ways around this for some people living and working in Japan.

Andrew Hallam also has a website and Facebook page with a lot of good information for expats wishing to start investing.

Hallam's Website: https://andrewhallam.com/


Last edited by Shakey on Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lamarr



Joined: 27 Sep 2010
Posts: 190

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

izmigari wrote:
Quote:
The US Social Security only pays an avg of $16,000, really not enough to live off of.


While rxk22's plea to save is valid and, I believe, genuine, his number crunching does the OP and readers of this blog a disservice. In other words, it's too simplistic and, in so, misleading.


That wouldn't surprise me. He's already proven himself to be something of an ignoramus on another thread on martial arts, in which he rated himself as some sort of Bruce Lee wannabe, big-headed martial arts know-all, without having the first clue what he was talking about.

I suspect this thread is just the same.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RustyShackleford



Joined: 13 May 2013
Posts: 449

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakey wrote:
RustyShackleford wrote:
Managed to squirrel my way into a position without rent, utilities and still a fairly good salary and the company is gonna pay for my flight to Tokyo this year and my flight back to the states the next inshallah. Very Happy

I guess living that MGTOW lifestyle means that living in Saudi Arabia is no big deal for you.


As someone who absolutely hates the stupidity, pretension and general childishness of the MGTOW / MRA thing, I resent that statement.

If anything, I'm in exile in Saudi to get the hell back onto the general way. Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rxk22



Joined: 19 May 2010
Posts: 1629

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakey wrote:


Andrew Hallam, a Canadian English teacher in Singapore, wrote two books recently for expats who are interesting in investing. The first one is Millionaire Teacher: The Nine Rules of Wealth You Should Have Learned in School, and the second one is titled, Global Expatriate's Guide to Investing. These two books, especially Millionaire Teacher, will set you straight on what you need to do in order to get started investing in low-cost ETFs.

One problem, however. Some discount brokerages, such as TD International in Luxembourg, refuse customers from Japan. I am not clear on the details, but the Japanese government has made it difficult for some discount brokers like TD to serve customers in Japan. TD does not want to hand over all of the information on their clients to the Japanese government. However, there are ways around this for some people living and working in Japan.

Andrew Hallam also has a website and Facebook page with a lot of good information for expats wishing to start investing.

Hallam's Website: https://andrewhallam.com/


Good stuff. ETFs are fantastic, a you said low cost. Plus they get a lot of diversification that mutual funds have. All the while, you don't have to keep track of the market.

That is a great link thank you. I ended up using my own US bank for investing in my 401k and my Roth. I also use Sumitomo Mitsui here in Japan. The down side to buying Japanese equities is that you have to buy 100 at a time. If you buy a stock that costs 700 yen, it'll be 70,000yen when you buy 100. So it gets rough if you want to buy a higher priced stock like Toyota or Japan Tobacco.
I am sticking with US equities for the most part anyways. I still don't fully understand how the market forces and what not work here. For the most part, most of us shouldn't worry wither. Just ETF it and forget it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rxk22



Joined: 19 May 2010
Posts: 1629

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lamarr wrote:
izmigari wrote:


While rxk22's plea to save is valid and, I believe, genuine, his number crunching does the OP and readers of this blog a disservice. In other words, it's too simplistic and, in so, misleading.


That wouldn't surprise me. He's already proven himself to be something of an ignoramus on another thread on martial arts, in which he rated himself as some sort of Bruce Lee wannabe, big-headed martial arts know-all, without having the first clue what he was talking about.

I suspect this thread is just the same.


I guess if you can't land a jab in real life.

PM me when you've actually spared with someone outside of your closed system. Until then you are like an Eikaiwa student who has never spoken outside of the eikaiwa.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rxk22



Joined: 19 May 2010
Posts: 1629

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RustyShackleford wrote:


As someone who absolutely hates the stupidity, pretension and general childishness of the MGTOW / MRA thing, I resent that statement.

If anything, I'm in exile in Saudi to get the hell back onto the general way. Razz


Since Saudi has broken into the piggy bank, because of the oil rout, have you seen any signs of that? Esp for English teachers? Less benefits, no bonuses, pay raises and he such?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lamarr



Joined: 27 Sep 2010
Posts: 190

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rxk22 wrote:
Lamarr wrote:
izmigari wrote:


While rxk22's plea to save is valid and, I believe, genuine, his number crunching does the OP and readers of this blog a disservice. In other words, it's too simplistic and, in so, misleading.


That wouldn't surprise me. He's already proven himself to be something of an ignoramus on another thread on martial arts, in which he rated himself as some sort of Bruce Lee wannabe, big-headed martial arts know-all, without having the first clue what he was talking about.

I suspect this thread is just the same.


I guess if you can't land a jab in real life.

PM me when you've actually spared with someone outside of your closed system. Until then you are like an Eikaiwa student who has never spoken outside of the eikaiwa.


I don't do sparring. As I explained already, there's a difference between staged fighting that you do, where you can make yourself feel like a real man for a few moments by beating someone up, and kill or be killed situations where there aren't any rules.

Not surprising you still can't grasp that Bruce, all those blows to the head have obviously destroyed your brain cell.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RustyShackleford



Joined: 13 May 2013
Posts: 449

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rxk22 wrote:

Since Saudi has broken into the piggy bank, because of the oil rout, have you seen any signs of that? Esp for English teachers? Less benefits, no bonuses, pay raises and he such?


I got a pretty good gig actually - relatively high salary (+12,000SAR/3000USD paid vacation, health insurance, no rent, provided car, decent housing, and relatively sane coworkers to boot.

That all said, most jobs in the kingdom I see listed are now averaging that 12,000 SAR and, frankly, for that money, I'd rather go to Korea or Japan, although it's infinitely easier to save in Saudi thanks to a low cost of living and lack of anything fun to spend it on.

Gas prices are going up and there's talk of taxing things next year. That's when I intend on leaving anyways and I'm already on my way to being debt-free and starting the first real savings (and I suppose investing) of my adult life so, at least I'm gonna have mine before I go and start seriously thinking about where to settle down and what to do for my life.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
izmigari



Joined: 04 Feb 2016
Posts: 197
Location: Rubbing shoulders with the 8-Ball in the top left pocket

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I got a pretty good gig actually - relatively high salary (+12,000SAR/3000USD paid vacation, health insurance, no rent, provided car, decent housing, and relatively sane coworkers to boot.


Actually, Rusty, what you list above is what I discovered after my 1990-3 JET gig. I mentioned these "free" benes to the antagonistic rxk22, but since he wants the spotlight to himself, got a pummeling in return.

I wound up doing 16 years in "the khaleeg" (10 in Sowdy!) which set me up for my current semi-retirement in my current government ESL gig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RustyShackleford



Joined: 13 May 2013
Posts: 449

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah my JET stint wasn't much worse but I was a kid in a candy store trying every flavor with no worry for the future.

Things are different now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rxk22



Joined: 19 May 2010
Posts: 1629

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RustyShackleford wrote:

I got a pretty good gig actually - relatively high salary (+12,000SAR/3000USD paid vacation, health insurance, no rent, provided car, decent housing, and relatively sane coworkers to boot.

That all said, most jobs in the kingdom I see listed are now averaging that 12,000 SAR and, frankly, for that money, I'd rather go to Korea or Japan, although it's infinitely easier to save in Saudi thanks to a low cost of living and lack of anything fun to spend it on.

Gas prices are going up and there's talk of taxing things next year. That's when I intend on leaving anyways and I'm already on my way to being debt-free and starting the first real savings (and I suppose investing) of my adult life so, at least I'm gonna have mine before I go and start seriously thinking about where to settle down and what to do for my life.


Things in SA have to change. I'm not even talking about not having slaves and letting non-Muslims be full citizens. Things like taxes need to be collected, benefits for many will have to end, and gas can't be basically given away to the Saudi people.

Though if you still get free housing and the such, it makes saving much easier, as it essentially is adding to your salary.
Where do you thing you will wind up?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rxk22



Joined: 19 May 2010
Posts: 1629

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lamarr wrote:


I don't do sparring. As I explained already, there's a difference between staged fighting that you do, where you can make yourself feel like a real man for a few moments by beating someone up, and kill or be killed situations where there aren't any rules.

Not surprising you still can't grasp that Bruce, all those blows to the head have obviously destroyed your brain cell.


It is OK. I used to do TMAs and ran off the same assumptions that you did.

First, sparring doesn't have to be damaging. That is an old stereotype. You can use protective gear, which allows to to keep the intensity yet keeps you from getting injured. Though if you are going to compete or do Self Defense, you do need to get punched without gear on. Otherwise, how would you know how you will react to a physical blow? You can't know how you will react to an unknown scenario. Which leaves Aikido at a disadvantage.
With grappling you can go 100% without injury, as you aren't striking. You can spar hard in BJJ or wrestling and walk away without any injury. Saying that it is damaging is just a way Aikidoka justify not sparring. It is an excuse to hide behind.

Next, life or death? Of course MMA isn't the same as a street fight, but most elements will be found in it. You can realistically use MMA in a SD situation, as it has been tested in reality. Unlike Aikido, which is based off of tales of O-sensei being a bad mo-fo.
In this regard, old MMA, was called no rules barred. Old UFC event and Vale Tudo had few to no rules. You can't have you cake and eat it too dismissing the realism that old MMA showed. Yes, you can say it was barbaric, but it was as real as a life or death situation. Your kind only dismiss MMA because you don't understand it. Which is why it frightens you.

Why do you think Police officers and the military teach and encourage their people to do BJJ? Because it is a highly effective system that is heavily based in realism, and training with resisting partners.

Now, again, I will give you an out. If you say that AIkido is fun, and is more or less living history, that is OK. Otherwise you are unfortunately fooling yourself. Which your system propagates, due to the closed nature of your system, and the reverence of the O-sensei.
It would not hurt you in any way to drop by a Judo dojo or a BJJ school and spar. You won't get kicked in the head or anything silly like that.

BTW calling me Bruce just makes you look like a doddering old man, it's kinda funny.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lamarr



Joined: 27 Sep 2010
Posts: 190

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rxk22 wrote:
Lamarr wrote:


I don't do sparring. As I explained already, there's a difference between staged fighting that you do, where you can make yourself feel like a real man for a few moments by beating someone up, and kill or be killed situations where there aren't any rules.

Not surprising you still can't grasp that Bruce, all those blows to the head have obviously destroyed your brain cell.


It is OK. I used to do TMAs and ran off the same assumptions that you did.

First, sparring doesn't have to be damaging. That is an old stereotype. You can use protective gear, which allows to to keep the intensity yet keeps you from getting injured. Though if you are going to compete or do Self Defense, you do need to get punched without gear on. Otherwise, how would you know how you will react to a physical blow? You can't know how you will react to an unknown scenario. Which leaves Aikido at a disadvantage.
With grappling you can go 100% without injury, as you aren't striking. You can spar hard in BJJ or wrestling and walk away without any injury. Saying that it is damaging is just a way Aikidoka justify not sparring. It is an excuse to hide behind.

Next, life or death? Of course MMA isn't the same as a street fight, but most elements will be found in it. You can realistically use MMA in a SD situation, as it has been tested in reality. Unlike Aikido, which is based off of tales of O-sensei being a bad mo-fo.
In this regard, old MMA, was called no rules barred. Old UFC event and Vale Tudo had few to no rules. You can't have you cake and eat it too dismissing the realism that old MMA showed. Yes, you can say it was barbaric, but it was as real as a life or death situation. Your kind only dismiss MMA because you don't understand it. Which is why it frightens you.

Why do you think Police officers and the military teach and encourage their people to do BJJ? Because it is a highly effective system that is heavily based in realism, and training with resisting partners.

Now, again, I will give you an out. If you say that AIkido is fun, and is more or less living history, that is OK. Otherwise you are unfortunately fooling yourself. Which your system propagates, due to the closed nature of your system, and the reverence of the O-sensei.
It would not hurt you in any way to drop by a Judo dojo or a BJJ school and spar. You won't get kicked in the head or anything silly like that.

BTW calling me Bruce just makes you look like a doddering old man, it's kinda funny.


I didn't realize a few harmless comments could provoke such a long-winded reaction, never mind being called Bruce.

I think you're taking this all a tad too seriously kid. I suggest you join the army, go fight in a war and see how you do with that. If you make it back alive, let me know how it went.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rxk22



Joined: 19 May 2010
Posts: 1629

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice avoidance. At least Aikido makes you good at avoiding any and all arguments. When it gets tough, you just take your ball and go home.
Of course I take MAs seriously. Taking them lightly can lead to poor or in your case a complete lack of skills. If you give someone false confidence you are setting them up for not only failure, but possible serious injuries or even death.
So yes, you claiming you can teach self defense, when you can not, I take that seriously. So go ahead and pretend sage advice me, and take you rball home.

Read this, and this is why people like me speak out against LARping Martial Arts. http://www.karateforums.com/the-victim-of-a-mcdojo-speaks-out-vt2944.html

If you want to learn to swim, you have to get wet. you can not justify your way out of that. try as though you might. Breaking a sweat does not make a MAist a meathead, nice try though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2018 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Teaching Jobs in China
Teaching Jobs in China