Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions you should be asking at your interview
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Questions you should be asking at your interview Reply with quote

Are you asking the right questions during your interviews? Here are some to bring up based on your particular hiring situation (in no particular order):

1. Who is the actual employer for this position?

2. Will my spouse and children be able to join me? If so, what assistance do you provide in helping me bring my family?

3. Will I be issued an employment visa in order to enter KSA from (the US, UK, Canada...)?
[Note: You may be told you'll be brought over initially on a business visit visa but will then be sent to Bahrain for the employment visa. Some companies follow through, while others will string you along.]

4. I'm presently in [X country]. Will I be able to have my visa processed here or do I have to return to (the US, UK, Canada...)?

5. Do any of my employment verification letters from previous employers need to be authenticated? If so, what's that process?

6. Does this position include employer-provided housing or will I be given an allowance? Is employer-provided housing shared?

7. How soon will I receive my first pay after I start working?

8. How many hours a week are teachers required to be on campus?

9. Will my visa costs be fully reimbursed?

Others will have questions to add.

Last edited by nomad soul on Wed May 04, 2016 12:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
sicklyman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disappointed to see you didn't include

Quote:
Why am I applying for a job in Saudi?

So many omit to ask this question first...
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sicklyman wrote:
disappointed to see you didn't include

Quote:
Why am I applying for a job in Saudi?

So many omit to ask this question first...

That's a question to ask yourself before firing off that CV! Razz
gregory999

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10. Do you hold my passport?

11. Can I bring my dog, Bandit? If so, what is the process?

12. Can I bring my cat, Kiki?

13. Do I have my own office, or is it a shared one?

14. Who will be my line manager?

15. How many employees have left your institution during last year?
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I sane ?

(Studies by scot47 indicate that 35% of EFL teachers in KSA have severe psychoses.
gregory999

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Am I sane ?

I don't think so.
You need to see your GP as soon as possible, before it is late! Laughing
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregory999 wrote:
scot47 wrote:
Am I sane ?

I don't think so.
You need to see your GP as soon as possible, before it is late! Laughing

Mental illness is no joke! Laughing Laughing Laughing
2buckets

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the first question you should ask is:

Are you going to answer truthfully?

Good luck!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16. When will you be making a hiring decision?
Makkah

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

17. Health insurance coverage.
18. Contract renewal process.
19. Probation period.
20. Emergency leave.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:28 am    Post subject: Summer Vacation Pay Reply with quote

Makkah wrote:
17. Health insurance coverage.
18. Contract renewal process.
19. Probation period.
20. Emergency leave.

21. Summer Vacation Salary:
a. Before vacation
b. During Vacation
c. After you return from vacation
22. Final summer vacation salary
a. Included in exit packet
b. Not included in exit packet
hash

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realistically, almost NONE of the questions suggested above should be asked at an interview - certainly not at the first interview. Here's why:

1- Asking too many questions is a signal to many would be employers that the applicant is going to be "trouble" down the line. It's a major turn-off and decreases greatly your chances of being offered the job. (This is such an obvious fact that I feel silly even mentioning it....yet I'm always surprised how it almost always comes as a "shock" to people when it's pointed out to them).

Even such basic facts as "salary" cannot be answered definitely at the interview level......the interviewer can't be expected to know this in detail.

2- Most people who conduct an interview on behalf of a company know very little of the "administrative" side of things such as "emergency leave" policy. They may have their own opinions based on their own experiences, but that doesn't mean that's "company policy" or that what happened to one person will apply to you.

3- At least in my experience in KSA, the INTERVIEWER tends to be someone in your dept. who is a supervisor or a director.....someone who can fill you in on things relevant to the dept......but that's all, except in general terms. Most of these individuals aren't even the ultimate hiring authority and asking them WHEN you can expect to hear from them will simply bring a shrug meaning "I don't know".

4- Even asking such seemingly "relevant" questions such as "How many students will I have in class" is useless. There is no set upper or lower number in any institution I've ever worked in. As in so many things, the only realistic answer would be: "it depends".

5- By the time one gets to the interview stage, chances are brochures and other information paraphernalia have been sent to the applicant. At this point, you might want to ask a question or two that has not been broached and that's important to you.

But having a "list" of 10 or more questions and marching into the interview room aggressively as you noisily pull out your "question sheet" from your pocket is, in a word, stupid.

6- Remember: the interview is really a forum wherein you display and present your best points in order to convince the employer to hire you. Your intent should be to convince the employer that hiring you would be a good move on their part.....that you can really contribute to the "mission" of the unit enthusiastically.

Asking a bunch on inane, ferret-like questions will get you nowhere.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hash wrote:
Realistically, almost NONE of the questions suggested above should be asked at an interview - certainly not at the first interview.

Asking a bunch on inane, ferret-like questions will get you nowhere.

No one is expected to ask every question on the list; that's unrealistic since interviewers generally cover these topics, which is why I said "based on one's particular hiring situation." But if the interviewer fails to mention xyz, then there's no harm in asking, within reason, during a first or second interview.
mashkif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hash wrote:
Realistically, almost NONE of the questions suggested above should be asked at an interview - certainly not at the first interview. Here's why:

1- Asking too many questions is a signal to many would be employers that the applicant is going to be "trouble" down the line. It's a major turn-off and decreases greatly your chances of being offered the job. (This is such an obvious fact that I feel silly even mentioning it....yet I'm always surprised how it almost always comes as a "shock" to people when it's pointed out to them).[...]

You are so right.

I can't believe some of the questions posted here. Unless they were meant facetiously, it's a great insight into the psyche of many current and former English "teachers" frequenting these boards and explains so, so very much.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mashkif wrote:
I can't believe some of the questions posted here. Unless they were meant facetiously, it's a great insight into the psyche of many current and former English "teachers" frequenting these boards and explains so, so very much.

I expected some asinine questions given what gets posted within these forums. No surprise there -- it's the norm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: