Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this a good deal? School in Beijing.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jesso92

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a reason why this people dont just help teachers get a Z visa? I got a degree, and certification, whats the deal? Is it because I'm Mexican?
Big Worm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont usually log in, but the lack of awesome advice you are getting has prompted me.

Dont take those jobs. You wil be working illegaly, and that is stupid for that amount of money. Im guessing you wont be paying taxes on this job cuz its illegal, but they might try to withold anyway, pull whategver else, and you will have no recourse. Rent is exp3nsive here. sharing with a stranger is a nightmare.

7 or 8k will let you get by ok in beijing but its very easy to spend 2k a week here if you want to have a western lifestyle. Good luck buying cool stuff, travelling, getting sick or wanting to go home.

You are having problems becuase your visa doesnt qualify you for an English teaching visa. Try a different country.
jesso92

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Worm wrote:
I dont usually log in, but the lack of awesome advice you are getting has prompted me.

Dont take those jobs. You wil be working illegaly, and that is stupid for that amount of money. Im guessing you wont be paying taxes on this job cuz its illegal, but they might try to withold anyway, pull whategver else, and you will have no recourse. Rent is exp3nsive here. sharing with a stranger is a nightmare.

7 or 8k will let you get by ok in beijing but its very easy to spend 2k a week here if you want to have a western lifestyle. Good luck buying cool stuff, travelling, getting sick or wanting to go home.

You are having problems becuase your visa doesnt qualify you for an English teaching visa. Try a different country.

Well, I should give a bit of an update. I am not taking the Beijing job at all anymore, now is between Foshan and Dongguan, for both cities, 9k a month, free private accommodation. I dont mind eating mostly local food. But just that thing about the visa, is what gets me. Where do I find about the specifics? I'm trying to find a list of countries that aren't allowed to get a working visa for a teaching Job in china and Cant find something like it. Are we sure this is because I am a Mexican citizen?

I assume although illegal, it's pretty common for people to go there and teach on business visas. So what are the realistic consequences of doing it this way say... 6-8 months?
creeper1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I don't think there are many non-native speakers that post on Dave's. They are the only ones who could describe how they avoid problems and what employers treat them right.

I do know however that there are loads, and I do mean loads, of non native speakers teaching here.

Some find an employer and somehow that employer can get them a legit visa ( I don't know how that happens and I am guessing rules are bent)

There are also some that do regular trips to Hong Kong.
SH_Panda

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

creeper1 wrote:
You know I don't think there are many non-native speakers that post on Dave's. They are the only ones who could describe how they avoid problems and what employers treat them right.

I do know however that there are loads, and I do mean loads, of non native speakers teaching here.

Some find an employer and somehow that employer can get them a legit visa ( I don't know how that happens and I am guessing rules are bent)

There are also some that do regular trips to Hong Kong.

This is true.

In my small town alone there are several Flipinos, Africans, Russians and various others, all teaching English.

It's pretty crazy. They don't seem to care about getting caught. Some have been in China for years.
jesso92

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would you guys say could be potential precautions to take to avoid getting caught?
JamesD

Location: "As far as I'm concerned bacon comes from a magical happy place."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesso92 wrote:
What would you guys say could be potential precautions to take to avoid getting caught?

That's easy. Don't take a job without a Z visa. Beyond that there are no 'precautions' that offer any guarantee at all. None.

P.S. Wait a minute. Maybe there are some things you can do.
1. Hide in a back room any time you see anyone in a uniform or wearing a shoulder patch in the school.
2. Never tell anyone outside the school you are a teacher.
3. Never answer the door at your apartment.
4. Never teach private lessons.
5. Always keep enough cash available to be able to buy a last-minute ticket home.
6. Be prepared to abandon anything you have bought that you cannot put in a suitcase.

If you can do all of the above you are prepared to teach while on a business visa.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: