Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Koc University

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eihpos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Koc University Reply with quote

Does Anyone have any information about working for Koc university? Is it competitive?
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Koc University Reply with quote

eihpos wrote:
Does Anyone have any information about working for Koc university? Is it competitive?

This is what their website says:
"English Language Center offers one-year contracts to be renewed on a yearly basis. Salary will be very competitive based on years of experience and qualifications. Benefits include housing, private health insurance and *roundtrip tickets to home country(*For non-local instructors only)."

The fact that they're going to pay for your accommodation is a major plus. It's a rich university. I would assume the salary's decent. It's going to be better than a public university for sure. And public universities and most private ones don't pay for your accommodation as far as I know.
misskismet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard good things.

Some government universities do have housing.

Rent is getting really expensive so free or subsidised housing is a huge bonus.
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

misskismet wrote:
I've heard good things.

Yes, if Koc University offers you a job, take it. I would. It's consider one of the better university jobs out there.
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="JohnRambo"]
misskismet wrote:
I've heard good things.

Yes, if Koc University offers you a job, take it. I would. It's consider one of the better university jobs out there. That said, if anyone has any university contacts for a hard-working guy who has an M.A. in TESOL and years of experience in South Korea and who currently teaches in Turkey, let a hard-working brother know. I'd really appreciate it. I want to work somewhere where I feel appreciated. The students and my colleagues appreciate me very much, but I'm not happy over here. I don't feel my university's honest one iota.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visited Koc University for a conference last year. It is a private university and the most expensive in the whole of Turkey so it has excellent facilities and laboratories.

It is still comparatively small with only about 5,000 students and a very high staff / student ratio of 14: 6. There are only about 8% of international students. The others are rich Turkish kids. They boast that 95% of the faculty have postgraduate degrees from the USA or Europe.

The majority of classes are taught in English, apart from Law and Nursing, yet despite all these obvious advantages over other Turkish universities, after more than 20 years, they are still only rated No 5 in Turkey and not that highly in the world.
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dedicated wrote:
I visited Koc University for a conference last year. It is a private university and the most expensive in the whole of Turkey so it has excellent facilities and laboratories.

It is still comparatively small with only about 5,000 students and a very high staff / student ratio of 14: 6. There are only about 8% of international students. The others are rich Turkish kids. They boast that 95% of the faculty have postgraduate degrees from the USA or Europe.

The majority of classes are taught in English, apart from Law and Nursing, yet despite all these obvious advantages over other Turkish universities, after more than 20 years, they are still only rated No 5 in Turkey and not that highly in the world.

It's not easy to land a job at Koc. It's one of the top universities. It's true that it's only #5, but there are many universities in Turkey, and Koc aspires to be one of the best, so getting a job there isn't going to be the easiest, IMHO. I have no experience working there nor do I know anyone who has worked there. However, the housing for their teachers looks quite nice from the outside. They have a very nice campus. They work their doctorate students to death.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: