Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salary of Dialog
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mingdynasty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Salary of Dialog Reply with quote

This company are offering 45000 rubles net per month plus free housing or 18000 roubles allowance. I checked and this is £500 per month. Why are the salaries so low in Russia then?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mingdynasty is a troll. Don't waste your time.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=113618

In this incarnation in the past 24 hours alone, he's posted in Poland, UAE, Japan, and now this board. He's not serious; he just wants to suck people into long conversations for his own amusement. He's been banned umpteen times already in 2016.
mingdynasty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: no Reply with quote

Just ignore the last poster

This company are offering 45000 rubles net per month plus free housing or 18000 roubles allowance. I checked and this is £500 per month. Why are the salaries so low in Russia then?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, if you are happy to waste time and energy on a troll, that's your choice Wink

My only motivation is to warn honest people that this isn't a genuine request for info from a real would-be teacher possibly going to Russia, as s/eh portrays him/herself.
mingdynasty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: no Reply with quote

Just ignore the last poster. I'm an honest poster seeking advice.

nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Bona fide troll seeking advice Reply with quote

mingdynasty wrote:

Because it ain't the Gulf.
maruss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Suggest you read the news about Russias economy etc... Reply with quote

No it's not much and you won't have a great life there earning that kind of money.....but many Russians earn far less, so use your imagination!
It's not the place to go right now so why not explre other options?
This is genuine good advice and well meant.
maruss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Just for comparison... Reply with quote

I know a qualified Russian girl around 30 who teaches English at government colleges in a small town in Moscow region:she gets around 38.000 roubles per month,sometimes a bit more,sometimes less,depending on the number of working days each month,bonuses etc.For this she is also expected to teach in another town about 25 kms away twice a week and make her own photocopies at home and do lesson preparation etc.They don't pay for the paper or her bus fares and she gives 10.000 roubles per month for her room and meals at a relatives place-they are retired and have very low pensions so need the extra cash from her.She is lucky compared with other people in the town who earn much less or are unemployed,so I will leave it to your imagination what quality of life and living standards they have there??
Believe you me there are far worse places- and not that far from Moscow!
So by comparison the job you saw advertised pays well-very much so by Russian standards,especially if it includes accomodation in Moscow but it is hard for a foreigner who hasn't experienced life there to understand what it is really like to live in Russia.Until a few years ago,people in cities lived quite well,especially what we would call the 'middle clases' and in Moscow these were around 40% of the people there-they had cars,modern appartments and could afford holidays abroad etc,even though basic commodities such as food was always expensive compared to their earnings.Things have now changed a lot and Russians cope by tightening their belts and buying only essentials-this is how they have learned to survive throughout all the economic and political upheavals and perhaps explains why they don't complain as much as we would in the west about things,until they reach breaking point,when all hell is let looose!
You can see the latest wikileaks revelations about Putin and co. who rule the place and frankly nobody there is surprised because they know how things have always been in Russia:either the Tsar and the aristo crats and then the rest of the people,then the Communist elite and the rest of the people....and since then the ruling mafia elite and the rest of the population!!By all means go and experience it-it's interesting,fascinating and life-changing trip.....but don't go expecting to make money or be welcomed with open arms because you won't be!In deed many people will wonder why you came when the majority of them would give anything to go and live and work abroad if they found a chance,even more so nowadays!Hope this helps!
Partizan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Just for comparison... Reply with quote

maruss wrote:
I know a qualified Russian girl around 30 who teaches English at government colleges in a small town in Moscow region:she gets around 38.000 roubles per month,sometimes a bit more,sometimes less,depending on the number of working days each month,bonuses etc.For this she is also expected to teach in another town about 25 kms away twice a week and make her own photocopies at home and do lesson preparation etc.They don't pay for the paper or her bus fares and she gives 10.000 roubles per month for her room and meals at a relatives place-they are retired and have very low pensions so need the extra cash from her.She is lucky compared with other people in the town who earn much less or are unemployed,so I will leave it to your imagination what quality of life and living standards they have there??
Believe you me there are far worse places- and not that far from Moscow!
So by comparison the job you saw advertised pays well-very much so by Russian standards,especially if it includes accomodation in Moscow but it is hard for a foreigner who hasn't experienced life there to understand what it is really like to live in Russia.Until a few years ago,people in cities lived quite well,especially what we would call the 'middle clases' and in Moscow these were around 40% of the people there-they had cars,modern appartments and could afford holidays abroad etc,even though basic commodities such as food was always expensive compared to their earnings.Things have now changed a lot and Russians cope by tightening their belts and buying only essentials-this is how they have learned to survive throughout all the economic and political upheavals and perhaps explains why they don't complain as much as we would in the west about things,until they reach breaking point,when all hell is let looose!
You can see the latest wikileaks revelations about Putin and co. who rule the place and frankly nobody there is surprised because they know how things have always been in Russia:either the Tsar and the aristo crats and then the rest of the people,then the Communist elite and the rest of the people....and since then the ruling mafia elite and the rest of the population!!By all means go and experience it-it's interesting,fascinating and life-changing trip.....but don't go expecting to make money or be welcomed with open arms because you won't be!In deed many people will wonder why you came when the majority of them would give anything to go and live and work abroad if they found a chance,even more so nowadays!Hope this helps!

+1

This post should serve as a wake up call to anyone thinking of moving to Russia to teach English in the current economic climate. The good 'ol days are well and truly over. Unless you have been living in Russia with already exisiting & well established contacts and/or get a job offer with a respected company paying 100k RUB and upwards, give it a miss. Hit the Gulf instead.
Sethis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to chip in, in defence of people looking at Russia, I had a Skype interview today for the following:

$34-36,000 per year, paid in Rubles but not linked to the exchange rate. Whatever the dollars are worth, that's the Rubles you get. Currently that's 190,000 per month.

Benefits:

* Paid government holidays and breaks.

* Medical insurance.

* Free school tuition for children of school age

* A one-way economy class ticket from home of record. A one-way economy class ticket to home of record at the end of the contractual period. An annual round trip economy class ticket will be provided during the summer vacation. It is further clarified that the teacher shall not be entitled to any further relocation cost reimbursement.

* Shipping allowance: One-time shipping allowance reimbursed in Rubles at the prevailing rate of up to $750 USD for you and your family.

* Settling In Allowance: A one-time settlement of 30,000 Rubles, upon submission of original proofs / invoices / bills.

* Free breakfast and lunch at school.

* Sick days are 5 per year and 3 personal days. If you exceed this number of absences, your pay will be deducted per your daily rate of pay.

* The school will provide a furnished apartment. Electricity, cable, Internet and any other recurring monthly charges and service charges for the apartment shall be borne by the teacher.

* Ongoing professional development.

* The school will reimburse the teachers for the Russian visa expenditures, against receipts, and provide all the necessary paper work for the Russian Work Visa.

I have spoken to a currently employed teacher at this school who is a friend of one of my friends, and he confirms that this is entirely true and valid. I do not work in Russia and have just finished my CELTA last month.

Of course I may not GET the job (I really fervently hope I do!!), but such jobs do exist, and they were willing to interview me despite my lack of Russian or school experience.

So while the overall picture may well look crappy, you can find things if you look hard enough.
maruss

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: sounds like a 'top-notch' job? Reply with quote

There are few of these but they naturally expect people with the highest credentials and experience etc. to pay them that kind of money,even more so nowadays.
If you know someone there who can vouch that they're genuine then obviously take it if they offer you a job and you definitely want to go there?
But still have your "eyes wide open!!'

Otherwise I would take Partizans advice.....100.000 roubles is considered a very good salary in Moscow nowadays for a Russian,but then they usually have their own accomodation etc.But with the exchange rate it is still not much if you aim to save any money to take home with you when you leave...
GF

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Sethis

That is not a language school you posted about. Not possible. It sounds more like an International School gig.
maruss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: That's what I was thinking.... Reply with quote

There are several in Moscow and they do pay very well....but you have to be really up to standard and you will earn every penny of what you earn,be sure of that!!Good luck if you get the job!
GF

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry maruss but I don't believe it for a second, not for a language school. International schools offer packages like this, language schools don't. Why would a language school offer 190,000 rubles a month, plus flat, plus shipping allowance, settling allowance, free education for children, etc. when they can offer 60,000 with almost no extras and get loads of applications?
maruss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Where is the job? Reply with quote

That's what I meant-it's almost certainly an International School and they do pay very well?But working a full school day at these places is completely different from teaching at a private language institute!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: