Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Expats to pay 3 % of salary for visa
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:57 am    Post subject: Expats to pay 3 % of salary for visa Reply with quote

This is on top of the already existing unpaid overtime during the week and on weekends, airfares not being reimbursed, last month's salary when leaving not paid and the planned introduction of income tax and VAT next year.

http://timesofoman.com/article/80713/Oman/Government/Proposal-to-charge-3-of-expatriate-worker-salary-as-visa-fee-in-Oman

Last edited by Whatever will be on Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:41 am; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The title is not accurate. It is a proposal and has been proposed before and not implemented. In education, the employers has thus far always paid any visa fees anyway.

Income Tax and VAT has also only been "proposed."

Other situations listed apparently describe poster's employer and aren't standard. The standard rule in the Gulf is to pick your employer carefully.

VS
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh huh. Not a lot generally happens in Oman and, if you are going to run a daily newspaper, you've got to fill it up with something. Anyway, when I first got here, I used to pay way too much attention to all the various 'proposals' that I read in the newspaper. Many of the same proposals appear to get proposed multiple times and nothing appears to ever come of them. Chances are it will be the same with this latest brainwave.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current massive government debt and continued low oil price need to be addressed and ways to generate money have to be found.

Upsetting the locals is avoided, so any revenue that can be generated will need to come primarily from ex-pats.

The VAT, income tax, tax on remittances and other measures are ideas to fix the national debt. Not each and everyone will be introduced straight away, but if not enough money comes from oil, money has to come from somewhere else.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear what you are saying, Whatever will be, and I agree that they will probably have to do something. However, what that 'something' will be and when it will occur, who knows? If I had to bet, I'd wager that they will start with introducing taxes/charges on overseas remittances, but, that's just my hunch. That idea has been discussed before and it is currently just one of the many 'proposals' that have been reported on and that has gone nowhere. As to working out which of the proposals they will dust off and implement, (if and when that does happen), is, IMHO, frankly anyone's guess Confused.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. The extent, timing and name of the financial penalties will be as clear as mud.

My guess is that it will be sudden and steep, much as the recent pay cut experienced by fellow teachers employed under MOM.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever will be wrote:

My guess is that it will be sudden and steep, much as the recent pay cut experienced by fellow teachers employed under MOM.

I haven't heard. If you don't mind sharing, what's happened?
Tazz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard 'rumblings' of a substantial reduction in basic salary and housing allowance for MOM direct hires starting September-next academic year.... Confused
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Tazz. If that is the case, then that's bad news, to say the least. It will be interesting to see if there is a knock-on effect, or similar cuts, with the Ministry of Higher Education. I suspect that there very well might be Confused.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These rumbles are being heard everywhere in the Gulf, not just Oman. The price of oil is affecting all of them. I would expect salaries to be pretty much frozen or lowered... and benefits will continue to be cut.

VS
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
These rumbles are being heard everywhere in the Gulf, not just Oman. The price of oil is affecting all of them. I would expect salaries to be pretty much frozen or lowered... and benefits will continue to be cut.

Yep, I've been following the Saudi board recently with interest. Plenty seems to be going on there.

We are not there yet, but, if it gets to the stage where financially Western teachers are really not that much better off in the Gulf than they would be by working in places like China, Vietnam, Taiwan etc. then, quite frankly, who is going to come here? Some, for various reasons would, but, most Western teachers I know certainly wouldn't. Oman is arguably more appealing than a lot of places in the GCC, but, I'm sorry, if you want me to TEFL in the KSA or Kuwait, then I'd need to see some serious cash. What else do they have [or ever had] to offer? Anyway, it's shaping up to be a pretty interesting time to be here.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you read this blog, but is is supposedly written by a young Omani woman in Salalah. She has a post from February about new directives from the government for cost cutting. Again, how much will actually be enacted is always the question, but it looks rather serious:

http://dhofarigucci.blogspot.com/
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, well now...there is still plenty of money!

Especially for important things such as flying 100 Omani horses, all of their entourage and all of their stuff to London to prance around. Rolling Eyes

http://www.ibtimes.com/queen-elizabeth-iis-90th-birthday-royal-cavalry-sultanate-oman-perform-2345921
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't seen that blog before VS, but, I just had a quick read and it looks interesting. Many thanks!

Last edited by 1st Sgt Welsh on Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Salary and benefit slashing Reply with quote

"Employment and Salary Trends in the Gulf 2016" by Gulf Talents is a very good analysis of the current state of play.
https://www.scribd.com/doc/306585700/Employment-and-Salary-Trends-in-the-Gulf-2016-pdf

January 31, 2016
http://timesofoman.com/article/76580/Oman/Companies-in-Oman-start-repatriating-expatriates-home-from-highly-paid-positions

February1, 2016
http://www.gulfbusiness.com/articles/country/oman/oman-cuts-expat-bosses-as-oil-austerity-hits/

March 8, 2016
http://www.internationalfinancemagazine.com/article/Tough-times-for-expats-in-Oman.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: