Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Panama Papers: how to hide a billion dollars
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregory999

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: The Panama Papers: how to hide a billion dollars Reply with quote

If you are using offshore structures, then check if your name is listed in the Panama papers? Very Happy

The Panama Papers are an unprecedented leak of 11.5m files from the database of the world’s fourth biggest offshore law firm, Mossack Fonseca. The records were obtained from an anonymous source by the German newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung, which shared them with the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ). The ICIJ then shared them with a large network of international partners, including the Guardian and the BBC.

What do they reveal?
The documents show the myriad ways in which the rich can exploit secretive offshore tax regimes. Twelve national leaders are among 143 politicians, their families and close associates from around the world known to have been using offshore tax havens.

An offshore investment fund run by the father of British prime minister David Cameron avoided ever having to pay tax in Britain by hiring a small army of Bahamas residents to sign its paperwork. The fund has been registered with HM Revenue and Customs since its inception and has filed detailed tax returns every year.
http://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/apr/03/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-panama-papers
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the Daily Mail front page headline yesterday: "CAMERON DRAGGED INTO TAX HAVENS STORM".

Part and parcel of, more like!

Or how about, "Camoron dragged kicking and screaming into havens storm"? Razz

Last edited by fluffyhamster on Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better than the Daily Express headline " Walnuts Prevent Heart Disease".

Tax scandal? What tax scandal?
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Reading" newspapers like the Express depresses me. I bought one once, just for the TV guide published at the weekend, but threw away the paper itself. Not even fit for loo paper.
Knedliki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point scoring between the Mail and the Express. Like trying to decide which is your favourite kind of torture.

I bet there's a lot of people desperately hiding paper trails right now, including Cameron.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my defence, I don't actually read either!

I will be pretty surprised, and somewhat amused, if it turns out that Corbyn has millions stashed off-shore though.
Knedliki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Corbyn keeps his money in an old shoebox under the bed.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along with a receipt for the shoe box.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBC Radio did not want to ignore the story so they ran some pieces on how those villains in Pyongyang used tax havens to organise the nuclear trade.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be sure, the Panama Papers (which add up to 11m files covering 40 years of commercial and financial activity) almost certainly include evidence of international corruption and criminality. Indeed, one trail appears to lead to the door of Vladimir Putin's office and the scandal-hit governing body of world cup, FIFA, crops up more than a few times.

However, among the parade of despots and crooks (against many of whom investigations have already been launched) there will be plenty of companies and individuals who have chosen to manage their money offshore for legitimate reasons - and they will be well within their legal rights to do so.

The publication of the files was coordinated by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists who concede in their own disclaimer "there are legitimate uses for offshore companies, foundations and trusts' adding that those identified may not have' broken the law or otherwise acted improperly'.

Try telling that to the Twitter mob, for whom the distinction between illegal tax evasion and legitimate financial planning is seemingly non-existent. The fallout from the leak of the Panama Papers has barely even begun. Tax authorities around the world have requested access to the files. Doors will be kicked in. Meanwhile, lawful offshore operations - often vital to international commerce - should not be thrown out with the bath water.
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the state of most nations' finances nowadays, I wonder if there are that many legitimate (actual tax-paying, not only wealth-creating but also somewhat wealth-spreading) businesses left. The main entrepreneurial activity left in the UK for example seems to be endless spivvy unmandated wheezes to funnel national assets and taxpayer subsidy into private hands, and to bend over ever further and keep taking it hard from the biggest lobbyists. I read an interesting comment in the Guardian the other day that said that taken to its logical extreme, all this neoliberal~rightwing thinking will eventually result in failed states and the rule of private armies. But that's hardly an illogical extreme for mindsets apparently fixated on ever more unbridled robbery.
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eloquently put, fluffy.

Regards,
John
Phil_K

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think other people's financial affairs are our business. Some people just love to stir the brown-stuff, the rest of us are getting on with something useful in our lives, just wasting a bit of it having arguments with strangers on the Internet.
Knedliki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I see British society going down the toilet and then read about billions of pounds worth of tax evasion , I also think other people's finances are none of my business Confused
Phil_K

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knedliki wrote:
When I see British society going down the toilet and then read about billions of pounds worth of tax evasion , I also think other people's finances are none of my business Confused

What do you mean by "going down the toilet"? Tabloid quotes don't make for useful material for conversation. Be more specific.
Also, as I said, I don't pay too much detailed attention to these sensationalist reports - because I have a life - but I think you'll find a lot of what you call tax "evasion" is in fact tax "avoidance", which is a perfectly legitimate activity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: