Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MOE English Teachers
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StampLover

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: MOE English Teachers Reply with quote

I have accepted an offer to work in a public HS in one of the Northern Emirates.

Anybody currently, working there? Advice? Info?

The project used to be ADVENTI (sp?) but now the offer is directly with the MOE.

Thanks!
leggeymountbatten

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also been offered an interview by a recruiter in the UK called Astute Education.
It is for an MOE job in the Emirates.

Does anyone also have any background on the recruiter or the MOE??
canadianUAE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leggeymountbatten wrote:
I have also been offered an interview by a recruiter in the UK called Astute Education.
It is for an MOE job in the Emirates.

Does anyone also have any background on the recruiter or the MOE??

Recruiter, i've not heard of...but MOE is Ministry of Education, UAE...the teaching positions were first advertised as Advetti jobs, which is a vocational, or tech college. Went for the interview to be told the job was changed to MOE, and teaching in gov't schools. The UAE is cutting back A LOT with one of those cut backs being the housing allowance.

I'm eager to go back as I called it my home for the last 11 years, so I'm willing (or not Wink to put up with whatever for a bit.

It wouldn't be easy to go over with a family as 21k is on the low side. If alone, one could do it, without saving much money. Of course it depends on how much one spends. Doable as a single, but one would have to be frugal to save.

One of the perks of living in the UAE is that it's close to travel to other destinations such as India, Egypt, etc. , which costs money. I think I got spoiled over there, so maybe I'm wrong in saying 21k is on the low side Wink
TheEasyLife

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also been offered an interview in Manchester this weekend.

Does anybody have any information regarding the schools we'll be teaching in? Are government high schools of a low or high quality?

The offer is 21,000 which is approximately 4 grand a month. That seems fairly reasonable to me!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From low to very low... students vary from nightmarish to worse. Support from management varies from OK to non-existent. This is based on posts that I have read here and elsewhere on the net.

If this is total pay and you have to pay rent and other major expenses out of it, the pay is worse than I was paid in the early 1990's. This is a very expensive country to live in...

Even if you are single, it would be hard to save much...

VS
canadianinuae

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: MOE Reply with quote

again, depends where you'll be living...and how frugal you are. Things have changed in the UAE and are continuiing to change, unfortunately not for the better.
In the Northern Emirates you'd be able to live ok, as a single. Abu Dhabi is different. Much more expensive, etc.
It's also true gov't school students can be quite a handful. YOu just can't go over expecting a whole lot from them. Some will be very good (maybe 3 out of 30 Wink others will be busy talking to each other or on their phones. If you go with an attitude of, "ill do what I can, and not get streseed", you'd probably survive lol
canadianinuae

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheEasyLife wrote:
I have also been offered an interview in Manchester this weekend.

Does anybody have any information regarding the schools we'll be teaching in? Are government high schools of a low or high quality?

The offer is 21,000 which is approximately 4 grand a month. That seems fairly reasonable to me!

The don't tell you the school until you actually get there. They did tell me where I'd be placed though..we shall see.
travelbug66

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unforutnately, like so many EFL positions today, this offer seems okay for a single person, so long as you are not working in Dubai, where all your money would be eaten up by rent. £4000 seems like pretty good money, but even as a single, factor in a £1000 for rent, and another £250 for a hire car, etc.
What is worrying, is the actual classroom situation you might find yourself in. Clearly, it is going to be very stressful.
All I can say to people, especially those young enough is go back home, retrain and do a normal job.
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: MOE English Teachers Reply with quote

Dear SL and TEL,

Sent you a PM

Last edited by peripatetic_soul on Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
travelbug66

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear PS,
I too would be interested in any info you have on public school in the UAE, I have an interview in London next week for the position.
As I said, the money is okay for me as I'm single, but it would be nice to know about the environment and students, etc.
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: MOE English Teachers Reply with quote

Hi, Travelbug66,

Per your request, see PM.

PS
travelbug66

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had information to make me very wary of accepting these positions in the public schools, I might still go for the interview, but from the sound of it, it could be a total nightmare to teach there. £60,000 a year sounds more like a decent amount to put up with what could be a hell of a year, if you last that long.
Just warning others - do not go expecting anything like a normal teaching environment.
Schools might be different, but you will have to really be patient, and have the ability to cope with a lot of stress.
In fact, I don't know now, whether I should attend the interview, it might be waste of £200 pounds travel and accommodation costs, and an even bigger waste to turn up there in August, and resign in a couple of weeks !!
Perhaps, I should try Vietnam !!
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject: MOE English Teachers Reply with quote

Travelbug,

If you have a current teacher's license and classroom experience, as outlined in the MOE advert, you could apply to international schools.

Vietnam generally doesn't pay well although as a single, you could manage. You could pose questions about teaching there at the Vietnam thread on Dave's.

If you have the credentials, why not shoot for China? One should consider the pollution index (some schools close due to "toxic" levels of pollution and often don surgical masks in cities where there are factories, e.g., Szechuan Province). Provinces in the far western region have pleasant weather and environment (e.g., Kunming) year round.

Before you make any great leap forward, it's best to do some research and communicate with others who have experience in a particular school or region. Good luck.

PS
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Skills:

I think you have to be honest with yourself about what you can handle and your skills. If you come to the Middle East expecting to make a name for yourself and do grand things at work, then you'll be sorely disappointed. To teach here one has to have patience, flexibility and team skills. It's not enough to have a teaching licence. Some great teachers come a cropper here and in the GCC region. Some teachers go on and on about behaviour but I've nevr found having a rapport with my trainees an issue. What is difficult is what goes on outside the classroom in the Mena area. Experience is key but to get that you have to stick it out for a while.

Housing:

I would not touch any job that didn't pay for housing unless the salary was incredible. Start up costs in the UAE (I'm here) mean 12 months rent in advance, various deposits and furniture. Single people can get away with the 'illegal' non-ADCP approved tawtheek housing but if you have family, the only way you'll get them the visa is to have the ADCP tawtheek-type contract. I've just done it myself and can tell you a studio in AD costs 100,000 Dirhams to set up in advance. So if they don't pay the housing, you're in a studio apartment from the beginning, which will take between 7 and 10k a month and you'll never get a visa for your partner. There's also the job security issue. What happens if you pay the motherload up front and then get canned?

I think the golden days have gone all over. Employers everywhere are paying less and less for more and more work. It's the old 'bucket of shyte versus bucket of money conundrum' and never has it been truer.
Tazz

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UAE interviews conducted by Astute are being held in AD-but curiously, there are no positions in government schools there. For those of us living and working in Oman-particularly in the interior, the salary looks pretty generous- the equivalent of over 2 thou OMR a month. Surely an apartment or studio in any Emirate outside of AD or Dubai is going to be significantly cheaper than 7-10.000 AED a month? Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: