Site Search:
 
Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MOE English Teachers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Golden Beach



Joined: 09 Jun 2016
Posts: 22

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the worst teaching experience.......in the world.

With apologies to Heineken and Jeremy Clarkson.

Anyone having a good time and not just counting money?

It's hell and I die a little more every day.

But I've saved 10 grand.

Your choice. You'll sweat for it though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nomad soul



Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 10829
Location: The real world

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golden Beach wrote:
Probably the worst teaching experience.......in the world.
....
It's hell and I die a little more every day.

But I've saved 10 grand.

Your choice. You'll sweat for it though.

That's why you shouldn't focus on just the money and lifestyle. Folks were warned last spring:

veiledsentiments wrote:
Students vary from nightmarish to worse. Support from management varies from OK to non-existent.
....
To say that the kids arrive undisciplined is a major understatement. They - especially the boys - have never heard the word no. By High School, the closest comparison is probably the most violent inner city school of the US or UK. (though they are rarely armed at least) And the students usually set the rules and run the show.

Better have damned good classroom management skills. They are mostly not bad kids, but getting them corralled and working isn't for the meek.

Personally there isn't enough money to get me to do this. The change from dealing with secondary school to university is amazing according to teachers I know who have done both. I too never had any problem with tertiary level students... male or female. Just be warned...

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marierose



Joined: 27 Jan 2017
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golden Beach wrote:
Probably the worst teaching experience.......in the world.

With apologies to Heineken and Jeremy Clarkson.

Anyone having a good time and not just counting money?

It's hell and I die a little more every day.

But I've saved 10 grand.

Your choice. You'll sweat for it though.


Absolutely the worst is right!! what a toxic environment!! I'll be done 2 years, I am barely feeling a pulse anymore. So many have left, it's a revolving door. If one doesn't leave on ones own, the MOE will fire you probably lol. Horrible, horrible people! Sector specialists as they are called, I wonder if most are bipolar? The westerners in upper management sure as hell don't have qualifications to be running an education program. Apparently, the top guy is on 65k per month! While specialist are on 35k, teachers 21. Big decrepency is it not? Lead teachers who's wives are in their countries are sleeping with other lead taachers. Total joke! I could go on and on. It's all so pathetic. YOu've got Lead Teachers who are nothing more than bullies. They also have limited qualifications, have no cultural experience in this part of the world, and are given power...wtf?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marierose



Joined: 27 Jan 2017
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: why oh why Reply with quote

Medical insurance was suppose to be renewed first of January. Few have received their new insurance, most are without. The new card expires in April!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marierose



Joined: 27 Jan 2017
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: MOE, the REALITY Reply with quote

I'll be finishing up my contract soon and can't wait to get out of this horrible situation. Hope to leave with 1/4 of my sanity!
The reality: was first advertised as Advetti jobs in college. Arrived to interview after flying to a city outside of where I lived to be told half hour before the interview it was for MOE and not Adveti as advertised and that it wasn't Mentoring job but English teaching. To say people were livid would be an understatement. I bit the bullet and came over. BIG MISTAKE!

Lead teachers (originally called project teachers) are given a lot of power, in fact they can even get teachers fired or transferred for no other reason than they just don't like you. Many (most actually) are unqualified and have never taught in the ME before, much less a school but in 'hagwons' in places like Korea, China, etc. Horrible people who are power tripping! As a teacher one needs to go thru them, then Sector heads (also horrible people), then there's management over them whom you are NOT ALLOWED to contact unless emergency.
Many teachers and Lt's have been fired for no other reason than for asking why the students are so bad, no discipline in the schools, to where's our medical insurance?!
This program has attracted the most heartless people one can imagine. Total a-holes!)
Avoid these jobs at all cost! This can cause you your sanity! Beware!
21k is nothing. you will pay for housing, car, etc etc. Not worth it! you are selling your soul to the devil!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sammysez



Joined: 20 Nov 2016
Posts: 91

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: MOE background checks Reply with quote

Does anyone KNOW for sure what type of background checks MOE does? and how far back they go?

I was employed here 20 years ago with a contract service for MOE.
I didn't know if this shows up on a background check or not. We had quite a few runners, to say the least, in the job. And it sounds very similar to what I am reading here, as you were counting the minutes until the contract was over.

I'd prefer to not put it down, basically it was so long ago, and it was a fiasco, as described by others here, BUT will it show up on some computer report??

Speaking to other English teachers, things have changed quite a bit. I heard UAE is now doing police background checks and verifying college degrees along with not accepting online degrees. What do you KNOW??
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
veiledsentiments



Joined: 20 Feb 2003
Posts: 17498
Location: USA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: MOE background checks Reply with quote

sammysez wrote:
Speaking to other English teachers, things have changed quite a bit. I heard UAE is now doing police background checks and verifying college degrees along with not accepting online degrees. What do you KNOW??

They did a background/security check when I was hired in '92, so that is nothing new. They also verified my degrees, though the current process is different.

Since the reorganization of the education Ministries (MoE & MoHE) into one, no online degrees are accepted. (in the past the MoHE did accept them, but no longer)

I believe we discussed your issue on another thread. I doubt that you will get different answers here... no one can give you an absolute answer, but I assume that you have a new passport, so...

VS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marierose



Joined: 27 Jan 2017
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: MOE background checks Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
sammysez wrote:
Speaking to other English teachers, things have changed quite a bit. I heard UAE is now doing police background checks and verifying college degrees along with not accepting online degrees. What do you KNOW??

They did a background/security check when I was hired in '92, so that is nothing new. They also verified my degrees, though the current process is different.

Since the reorganization of the education Ministries (MoE & MoHE) into one, no online degrees are accepted. (in the past the MoHE did accept them, but no longer)

I believe we discussed your issue on another thread. I doubt that you will get different answers here... no one can give you an absolute answer, but I assume that you have a new passport, so...

That's right, all is attested by MOE, cost a lot of money by the time you get this and that stamped. Totally ridiculous. This is MOE, and one needs to go thru them now to be employed in pretty much any teaching job in the UAE.
Police checks, yes. You need to have it done in your country. And I don't know you're story, if you left with a loan, you'd definitely be showing up once you got to the airport. Just cause one has a new passport, doesn't mean they can't find you. Good luck!

VS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sammysez



Joined: 20 Nov 2016
Posts: 91

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused about some of the postings for MOE.

Are these K-12 teaching positions only? Or also vocational schools similar to a high school/jr. college??

Who are the contracts thru or direct hires?
I'm assuming a lot of recruiting agencies, anybody know which ones by name and location?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
veiledsentiments



Joined: 20 Feb 2003
Posts: 17498
Location: USA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teachaway is one of their contractors for the MOE K-12 (your contract would be with them). I suggest going to their website to see what sort of positions they are hiring for in the Emirates.

VS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BritishTeacher1985



Joined: 30 Apr 2014
Posts: 28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I also had an invite for the position of English Teacher with the MOE earlier today but have had to decline for now. Having recently attended an interview with Aramco (through a recruiter), I thought travelling with a family needs to consist of a better overall package. For me, the UAE positions appealed as they would usually cater for the family including school fees and a housing allowance. With a top end salary of 24k (that's wishful thinking!), I don't think this would be worth taking the risk, especially if comfortable and settled here.

Having read up on this area for quite some time (actively looking for past few years), I have come to realise that it is only really worth having a go if it's via direct hire, either with oil companies or Universities to make the daily stresses more manageable.

That's my take anyway. For single status folk, it's a different ball game I guess. For those travelling with a family, it's best not to get carried away with the initial tax free monthly figure as described on the adverts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chrisp728



Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 37

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BritishTeacher1985 wrote:
Hi all,

I also had an invite for the position of English Teacher with the MOE earlier today but have had to decline for now. Having recently attended an interview with Aramco (through a recruiter), I thought travelling with a family needs to consist of a better overall package. For me, the UAE positions appealed as they would usually cater for the family including school fees and a housing allowance. With a top end salary of 24k (that's wishful thinking!), I don't think this would be worth taking the risk, especially if comfortable and settled here.

Having read up on this area for quite some time (actively looking for past few years), I have come to realise that it is only really worth having a go if it's via direct hire, either with oil companies or Universities to make the daily stresses more manageable.

That's my take anyway. For single status folk, it's a different ball game I guess. For those travelling with a family, it's best not to get carried away with the initial tax free monthly figure as described on the adverts.



Hate to say it but I think in this day and age you might struggle to find an English teaching gig which provides family-size accommodation, private school fees, flights etc. I hear on the grapevine KFUPM in Saudi are still relatively generous.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BritishTeacher1985



Joined: 30 Apr 2014
Posts: 28

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisp728 wrote:
BritishTeacher1985 wrote:
Hi all,

I also had an invite for the position of English Teacher with the MOE earlier today but have had to decline for now. Having recently attended an interview with Aramco (through a recruiter), I thought travelling with a family needs to consist of a better overall package. For me, the UAE positions appealed as they would usually cater for the family including school fees and a housing allowance. With a top end salary of 24k (that's wishful thinking!), I don't think this would be worth taking the risk, especially if comfortable and settled here.

Having read up on this area for quite some time (actively looking for past few years), I have come to realise that it is only really worth having a go if it's via direct hire, either with oil companies or Universities to make the daily stresses more manageable.

That's my take anyway. For single status folk, it's a different ball game I guess. For those travelling with a family, it's best not to get carried away with the initial tax free monthly figure as described on the adverts.



Hate to say it but I think in this day and age you might struggle to find an English teaching gig which provides family-size accommodation, private school fees, flights etc. I hear on the grapevine KFUPM in Saudi are still relatively generous.



I agree, times have changed and the positions are not as appealing as before. Granted, if I were out of work etc, then my hands would be tied to an extent and a move would be more attractive, but with a family, it would be a naive move on my part. 5 years ago, I would've said different but as they say, with age, you grow wiser (well in some things) Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chrisp728



Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 37

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got QTS/PGCE and experience you might get such a package at an international school. But then you have to teach kids, put up with parents, meetings, extra activities, endless marking, all the other headaches of such places which mean you'd rarely see your own family so why bother bringing them Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BritishTeacher1985



Joined: 30 Apr 2014
Posts: 28

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisp728 wrote:
If you've got QTS/PGCE and experience you might get such a package at an international school. But then you have to teach kids, put up with parents, meetings, extra activities, endless marking, all the other headaches of such places which mean you'd rarely see your own family so why bother bringing them Laughing


Good point, I've got QTS so always useful to know there are positions available. For now, the little one starts school in September 2017 so I won't unsettle her and once she is bored in a couple of years time, perhaps I can reconsider a move abroad for a 'private education'.

Interesting times and I will keep my mind open...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2016 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Teaching Jobs in China
Teaching Jobs in China