Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MOE English Teachers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
worldtraveller

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Runner but now returning? Reply with quote

Anybody else a RUNNER with this outfit AND then returned?

I notice this post has taken on a life of it's own, mainly because so many teachers, like myself, ended up running. I was with them several years ago, new passport and all...

I was only there a few weeks. Or do they just expect it with this job? I see from the posts nothing has changed.

Has anyone else returned to UAE after running?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the same employer? After a runner? IMHO not a chance...

VS
worldtraveller

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the same employer.

But the same country. It would not be on the passport.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many years is several?

Are both employers government?

If the new employer is a private school or university (not public/MoE), and you didn't leave any debts behind... and you are at the high end of "several," you may be OK.

But there are no guarantees. You might fail the security check.

VS
AV15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It hardly seems that bad to me. Seems like there's plenty of places for around 30-40k a year on dubizzle, even in Dubai. Your options expand even more if you're willing to share an apartment.

Spend 3k on your apartment a month and 7k on other stuff, you're still banking 11k a month for a job that only requires entry level quals (i.e. a CELTA+2 years).

Maybe you can save more in Saudi Arabia and have a nicer apartment, but then you have to live in Saudi Arabia. I'd rather a tiny studio in the UAE than a villa in Saudi, personally.
I-forgot

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second AV15. There are affordable places in Dubai. Try Silicon Oasis, International City and Motor City.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Lots of the cheap places aren't legal and your ll can dick you at any time. Live out of town and you need a car and then there's the parking and speeding fines. Moreover, these places for 4k are places I wouldn't want to live-horrible.

Definitely only for singles on that salary and even then you won't save 11k a month. No chance. Every time you fly it's like 3-5k, a beer is up to 60 a pint (paid that in Dubai a while back, Abu Dhabi average is about 40 after happy hour).

Go for a brunch and you'll do 500 easy...last time me and the missus did 1500.

Live like a hermit and be single and then maybe.
I-forgot

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1500AED for brunch for two?

Wow!

And I thought I had expensive tastes!

Where were you (if you don't mind saying) and as it worth it? Shocked
Shakhbut

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by Shakhbut on Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
AV15

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Lots of the cheap places aren't legal and your ll can dick you at any time. Live out of town and you need a car and then there's the parking and speeding fines. Moreover, these places for 4k are places I wouldn't want to live-horrible.

Definitely only for singles on that salary and even then you won't save 11k a month. No chance. Every time you fly it's like 3-5k, a beer is up to 60 a pint (paid that in Dubai a while back, Abu Dhabi average is about 40 after happy hour).

Go for a brunch and you'll do 500 easy...last time me and the missus did 1500.

Live like a hermit and be single and then maybe.

Live out of town and then you have cheaper accomodation, which cancels out the cost of a car. Speeding fines can be avoided by driving within the speed limit. You have to pay for flights abroad in your home country too, and the UAE is in the middle of some great travel destinations (both Europe and South East Asia aren't that far away).

252,000 AED (21000*12) is £53,200 a year. £53,200 takehome in the UK would put you in the top 6% of earners in the country (source: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/percentile-points-from-1-to-99-for-total-income-before-and-after-tax). It would certainly put you in the top 1% of teachers since the main pay scale does not go that high - to get that sort of takehome you'd need to be a headteacher in a really large school, probably in London.

You also get long school vacations to spend that cash, and a short working day. For a job that only requires a 1 month cert, a BA, and two years of drinking beer on a beach in Thailand I'm not seeing any issue with the salary here. As I say, PGCE qualified teachers in the UK get less - a lot less - and have a much more difficult job.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Great salary in the UK-not a lot here. It's a single person's salary. You won't save much of that. Certainly not in AD or Dubai.

I'm going to the beach with the missus tomorrw. Just to get on it is 150 AED. The last brunch I went to was in the Emirates Palace and it was the drinking after which did the real damage.

Anyhow, I don't think 21k is much HERE.
AV15

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Great salary in the UK-not a lot here. It's a single person's salary. You won't save much of that. Certainly not in AD or Dubai.

I'm going to the beach with the missus tomorrw. Just to get on it is 150 AED. The last brunch I went to was in the Emirates Palace and it was the drinking after which did the real damage.

Anyhow, I don't think 21k is much HERE.

But the qualifications required are strictly entry level, so it's not like one should expect a truly top tier salary anyway. We're not talking PhD level employees here. We're not even talking about those with a 1 year teaching licence or an MA. We're talking about those guys who got a CELTA, then headed off to spend 2 years in the country of their choice, likely occupying their free time drinking beer, chasing women, and sitting on the beach. Nothing wrong with those three activities of course, but the vast majority of TEFL'ers in that category aren't exactly bringing much to the table. 21k AED seems fairly reasonable under those circumstances.

Just looking at Numbeo, prices in Dubai are reckoned to be slightly less than London. Granted London is an expensive city too, but no one would seriously suggest you can't live there quite happily taking home £53k a year.

At the very least it sounds like a reasonable gig for someone with strict savings goals and the willingness to send every spare dirham home. What's the bare minimum in terms of costs, really? A 40k apartment, your groceries, and a crappy second hand car that you sell when you leave. It's not going to work out great if you're going to private beaches every weekend and buying 60 dirham beers, but those are choices, not neccessities.

Look how most Filipino and Indian workers overseas do it. They live in a pretty rubbish place and send all their money home where it buys them a lot more. I'm not suggesting to live 6 to a room like they do, but the principle of low cost living is sound.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:54 am    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

Go to the UAE and live like a hermit? Who does that? Saudi maybe......

Really shitty flat 40k (not AD), etisalat 650/month, electricity 200, food 2000 tops, car 1500 rental-noone disputes that.

However, the moment you step out the door to do the fun stuff, you spend fortunes.

How these guys gonna pay their rent up front?

I'm in the UAE btw, earn way more than that and save about 10k a month. I've been to 3 brunches in 2.5 years. Me and the wife spend 28,000 just flying home last year.

Go for it yes but go eyes wide open I say. Easy social life, less so in Northern Emirates, but unless you have iron will, you won't save as much as you think. Even if you don't drink alcohol, the coffees are 15-25.
AV15

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: hmmm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Go to the UAE and live like a hermit? Who does that? Saudi maybe......

Really shitty flat 40k (not AD), etisalat 650/month, electricity 200, food 2000 tops, car 1500 rental-noone disputes that.

However, the moment you step out the door to do the fun stuff, you spend fortunes.

How these guys gonna pay their rent up front?

I'm in the UAE btw, earn way more than that and save about 10k a month. I've been to 3 brunches in 2.5 years. Me and the wife spend 28,000 just flying home last year.

Go for it yes but go eyes wide open I say. Easy social life, less so in Northern Emirates, but unless you have iron will, you won't save as much as you think. Even if you don't drink alcohol, the coffees are 15-25.

Yes, you've got the choice between having a good time, or saving lots of money. I'd say that beats out Saudi, where you don't even get the choice of buying a few beers after a hard week, and you need permission from your employer to leave the country.

Having to choose between a good social life or saving money is hardly unique to the UAE mind you. Plenty of people in the West sacrifice a good time while they try and save up for the exorbitant house deposits needed to buy a place in Western Europe these days - and most of them won't be earning anything like a takehome of 21000 AED.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject: Life style choices Reply with quote

Ah, finally the ladies have it on this topic. There are STILL so many ladies' nights in Abu Dhabi and Dubai that a woman could have trouble not becoming an alcoholic in the sunny UAE. Bachelorettes be aware of this!

There are free beaches in the UAE, and a walk along the Corniche or the Mangroves is free for all. Free movies, free lectures, free art show openings, free concerts. Of course, not every event is free, but you make your choices.

There are lots of ways to spend money in the UAE, and lots of ways sit back and enjoy the sun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: