Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MOE English Teachers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StampLover

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: SPOT ON! Reply with quote

Golden Beach wrote:
Things are improving in some schools.....

You might be lucky and get a reasonable school. Or you might be in a shit school and it may improve while you are there, hell, you and your colleagues might even be the reason it's improving.

My advice is that if you teach boys here you have to have a good sense of humour, be able to make the students laugh/entertain them...and yourself.... make mirth from the mayhem......but always be ready to be scary when you need to.... and practise Zen meditation so you can flush away all the madness from the classroom.

Contact parents and threatening to works really well. As does giving out candy and telling students they are good boys (positive reinforcement) they all want to be good boys at a certain level... Coax, encourage and scare....all work well in different combinations.... but you have to know what you're doing and actually be a good teacher..... bad/boring teachers just won't be able to hack it and win anyone round.

If you can do that you might enjoy it.... I am actually having a great year now...... because I learned to enjoy the chaos and bring it into some order... and also because the good thing about this job is that you can leave it at the school gates....unless you're a lead-teacher I guess.... That's not something I would do personally....

SPOT ON!!! After 2 years here, the ones who cannot calm the F down are the ones who hate it. All these boys want is a little entertainment, fun, attention and candy. I can handle that. The people who are so focused on being "THE TEACHER" will continue to struggle. Get off your high horses and just talk to them. They are actually really great kids. I said kids not students.
sheikhitnow

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the Saudi Army officers I taught.
worldtraveller

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would add this here, not that I'm trying to encourage or discourage anyone from the position, but an FYI and then you can make your own decisions. Of course, the 16 pages of previous comments should be a good indication of what you will face.

In the 20 years these MOE teaching positions have been around, nothing seems to have changed. Basically it's amazing what you will do and go through for the money.

When I was at MOE in Sharjah it was basically a reform school. We had explosives thrown at us, constant tipping over of desks, no discipline, having to tug a war with students over your belongings, absenteeism, tardiness etc. Lies about the teachers. Runners. We had all teachers except one that left and then the replacements started leaving.

And the western director was no help only saying to use a "firm hand." In other words we're not losing this million dollar contract for anything.

I actually ended up having permanent hearing loss and damage because a student threw an explosive at my ear and the company would do nothing. Horrible, painful, ringing in my ears for days afterwards and yet nothing changed. Not only Sharjah but Dubai and not sure about other cities.

Amazing what we will do for the money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Page 16 of 16

Jump to: