Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Tips for Finding ESL Jobs at American Universities
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhatter109

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Need Tips for Finding ESL Jobs at American Universities Reply with quote

Hi everybody,
I've come on here to see if anyone has any advice for finding jobs at American universities. I have a few questions below and I would really appreciate any tips you can give me. Just some background on who I am: I'm currently employed teaching ESL at a prep school in the USA (I have a nice current job with a boss who will give me a recommendation when applying, MA-TESOL, 5+ years experience teaching ESL). My current school contract will be ending in August, and I'm looking for a new setting, hopefully in a city (any city would be fine). So here are my questions:

1. Is it too early to start applying for university jobs that start in the Fall 2016? When is the "peak" time when schools are looking?

2. I've been looking for jobs on the official TESOL website, HigherEdJobs, and Indeed. Do you have any other places that I should be looking?

Please let me know if you have any tips. Our current lease and my job both will end in August, and I would feel a lot more comfortable if I knew exactly where I'll be going. But, I guess that is part of the ESL teachers life. lol
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The websites you mentioned are pretty much the best sources for university IEP and language school job openings. It's just that the market is tight and in some areas, enrollment of foreign students is sharply down. For example, Saudi Arabia, which sends more students to the US than any other country, recently cut back on those numbers. (Scroll down in this forum to the thread: Why international enrolment growth could soon slow.)

The best option is to head overseas to teach if you're looking for full-time work.
danmbob

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another site to look at is https://chroniclevitae.com/job_search/new

Last edited by danmbob on Sat May 06, 2017 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
taikibansei

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chronicle website that danmbob shared is probably best for finding TESOL work in the US. That said, with just an MA (and I'm assuming no publications/administrative experience), you're going to have a difficult time getting hired full-time from another state. The competition for these publicly advertised positions is just too strong--they will get 50+ (sometimes 100+) applications from equivalently qualified applicants.

This leaves you with the offerings within the state you're in now. If nothing's currently advertised, I'd suggest contacting (by email or phone) every university in your state which has an ESL program and asking if there are any adjunct positions available. Often, adjunct positions are not advertised. (Also, though very rarely, you can get lucky and stumble on a full-time contract position just before it does get advertised. )

I have done this before and had good luck with it.
rtm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll disagree slightly with taikibansei. In my experience, the state you are currently in has no bearing on whether you will be considered for a position. He is correct, though, that competition is stiff. The 50+ number he mentioned is, in my recent experience, a minimum. To receive 150+ applications is not uncommon. There are a lot of people out there with an MA in TESOL.

They do have to hire someone though, and although the chances for each individual job are small, they are even smaller if you don't apply. I'd suggest applying for every position you can find, and tailoring your materials to the specific needs of the programs you apply to (whether those needs are stated in the advertisement or not).

You are most definitely not too early to be applying for jobs starting in the fall. In fact, you are on the tail end of many searches. Search committees consist of faculty, many of whom are on 9-month contracts, and aren't necessarily around in the summer, so it's common for searches to finish up before the spring semester finishes (right around now). There will, of course, be some searches that run throughout the summer, but many have already finished.

The sites that have been mentioned are the ones where most of the ads are. I'd recommend you start sending out applications ASAP.
taikibansei

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTM, I think you and I (and maybe the OP) are all talking about different categories of jobs. As you suggest, the season for tenure-track (and the better administrative) university positions is winding down. (In fact, I'd say it's over.) However, the season for VAP and/or one-year contract positions is heating up, and will continue to heat up through the end of May. And from June (until the end of August) will come the main hiring season for adjuncts.

While you're right that hiring for tenured/tenure-track or the better administrative positions regularly crosses state lines, do you really find that many universities hire out-of-state for entry-level, one-year contract ESL faculty without special qualifications and extensive (10+ years) experience? Having been director of an ESL program at a university in the US (admittedly over fifteen years ago), I would think that rare--e.g., for non-tenure track hires, there normally would be no budget for travel expenses (for campus interviews) or moving expenses (if hired). Why would the schools do this when (as you write as well) 50-150 people--many local with similar qualifications--are applying? Still, maybe things have changed as you suggest.

To the OP, that Chronicle website danmbob shared also has an excellent forum where you can ask about this and other things pertaining to university hiring in the US:

http://chronicle.com/forums/

Many of the posters to that forum not only currently work at US universities but are involved in hiring. I'd ask there too.

Good luck!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taikibansei wrote:
The Chronicle website that danmbob shared is probably best for finding TESOL work in the US.

This leaves you with the offerings within the state you're in now. If nothing's currently advertised, I'd suggest contacting (by email or phone) every university in your state which has an ESL program and asking if there are any adjunct positions available. Often, adjunct positions are not advertised. (Also, though very rarely, you can get lucky and stumble on a full-time contract position just before it does get advertised. )

I suggest not limiting the job search to just The Chronicle; TESOL.org and higheredjobs.com are just as reliable. Adjunct and full-time positions for public universities and colleges tend to be posted on the state's employment site if not on the universities' websites. Also, instead of emailing and phoning university HR departments about possible upcoming positions, the OP should email his letter of interest and resume to the IEP director at each uni he's targeting.

The OP didn't mention if he's a member of his local TESOL affiliate, but it offers excellent opportunities to network with his peers about job opportunities that open up in his state. Ditto for Linkedin.
rtm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taikibansei wrote:
However, the season for VAP and/or one-year contract positions is heating up, and will continue to heat up through the end of May. And from June (until the end of August) will come the main hiring season for adjuncts.

Yes, but I don't think we're talking about VAP positions (which, you are right, generally come out around this time). I was referring to full-time, continuing lecturer/instructor positions. Our IEP did a search last year, and it finished around this time.

Quote:
While you're right that hiring for tenured/tenure-track or the better administrative positions regularly crosses state lines, do you really find that many universities hire out-of-state for entry-level, one-year contract ESL faculty without special qualifications and extensive (10+ years) experience? Having been director of an ESL program at a university in the US (admittedly over fifteen years ago), I would think that rare--e.g., for non-tenure track hires, there normally would be no budget for travel expenses (for campus interviews) or moving expenses (if hired).

Moving expenses are the applicant's issue. If there is anything provided at all, it's a set amount, and the applicant can choose to take it or leave it -- it's not the search committee's concern. For full-time, non-tenure track positions, there is no budget for travel expenses, so teaching demonstrations are often done via Skype. That might be a change since you were director.

Quote:
Why would the schools do this when (as you write as well) 50-150 people--many local with similar qualifications--are applying?

Because they want to hire the best applicant, not just someone local?

There are so few positions available across the country that people need to be willing to move to other states for a job.
madhatter109

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info everyone! I really appreciate your time and help - especially the chronicle vitae website, I didn't know about it! I've been lucky enough to have been working full time. It's a stable life - but, I'm just really bored with my current location and job. My school (coworkers, boss, admin) and I get along extremely well, but I'm just bored. I feel like Kevin Spacey in American Beauty, but I'm only in my early 30s. I thought about other times in my life when I was an adjunct making half the money I am now - and I was actually a lot happier. What I've realized from working full time and earning a decent living is that money really doesn't make you happy. It's certainly nice to have - but I'd rather be making less money in an interesting city than earning a lot of money in a place that is extremely boring. Life is just too short. Hopefully a full time job comes up in a city I'm interested in, but if it doesn't, an adjunct position wont be the end of the world.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madhatter109 wrote:
It's a stable life - but, I'm just really bored with my current location and job. My school (coworkers, boss, admin) and I get along extremely well, but I'm just bored. I feel like Kevin Spacey in American Beauty, but I'm only in my early 30s. I thought about other times in my life when I was an adjunct making half the money I am now - and I was actually a lot happier. What I've realized from working full time and earning a decent living is that money really doesn't make you happy. It's certainly nice to have - but I'd rather be making less money in an interesting city than earning a lot of money in a place that is extremely boring. Life is just too short. Hopefully a full time job comes up in a city I'm interested in, but if it doesn't, an adjunct position wont be the end of the world.

Seems "boredom" is a major issue for you. Teaching in a university IEP in some other state may not provide the type of excitement you seek. Maybe you should consider heading to Asia or South America to teach. For a challenge and boost to your resume, check out Georgetown University's ELF Program.
taikibansei

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

Also, instead of emailing and phoning university HR departments about possible upcoming positions, the OP should email his letter of interest and resume to the IEP director at each uni he's targeting.

Who suggested the bit in bold? I sure didn't. I suggested contacting the schools/programs directly.

What I've done successfully in the past (and had done to me by prospective teachers) is this:

1) Look up the program information for each university within driving distance (either from where you live or where you want to live). In addition to course offerings and curriculum information, try to find the name (and if possible the contact information) of the directors/department chairs.

2) Email (attaching CV) the program directors/department chairs. I find it a big plus if you list not just your availability but the exact courses they offer which you are qualified to teach.

3) If you don't hear back, followup by phone to the department head/director in a 2 or 3 weeks.

nomad soul wrote:

The OP didn't mention if he's a member of his local TESOL affiliate, but it offers excellent opportunities to network with his peers about job opportunities that open up in his state. Ditto for Linkedin.

Again, and similar to my query to rtm, have you really found Linkedin helpful in looking for academic jobs? I've been on Linkedin for years and yet have never been contacted regarding academic employment--maybe (probably Very Happy) it's just me?
rtm

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taikibansei wrote:
What I've done successfully in the past (and had done to me by prospective teachers) is this:

1) Look up the program information for each university within driving distance (either from where you live or where you want to live). In addition to course offerings and curriculum information, try to find the name (and if possible the contact information) of the directors/department chairs.

2) Email (attaching CV) the program directors/department chairs. I find it a big plus if you list not just your availability but the exact courses they offer which you are qualified to teach.

3) If you don't hear back, followup by phone to the department head/director in a 2 or 3 weeks.

I'd agree that this is a good strategy for searching for adjunct positions. I'd hope, however, that the OP would also be putting effort into searching for a full-time position (which would require a different strategy).

Quote:
Again, and similar to my query to rtm, have you really found Linkedin helpful in looking for academic jobs?

I haven't. I'm on LinkedIn, as are other people I know in academia, but it's really not built for academics or searching for academic jobs. It always sees I work at a university, and recommends what it thinks are relevant jobs -- usually in chemistry and physics.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taikibansei wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
Also, instead of emailing and phoning university HR departments about possible upcoming positions, the OP should email his letter of interest and resume to the IEP director at each uni he's targeting.

Who suggested the bit in bold? I sure didn't. I suggested contacting the schools/programs directly.

I wasn't nitpicking your suggestion. I was clarifying that the OP shouldn't take that as just phoning or emailing HR departments but instead, should email the IEP heads directly.

and taikibansei wrote:
Again, and similar to my query to rtm, have you really found Linkedin helpful in looking for academic jobs? I've been on Linkedin for years and yet have never been contacted regarding academic employment--maybe (probably Very Happy) it's just me?

I started networking while still completing my MAT x years ago, and one of those connections helped me secure a supervising teacher for my practicum. Whenever I attended conferences, trainings, etc., in the US and abroad, I always had my personal networking/introduction cards with me to pass out and have continued to update my Linkedin connections with teachers, trainers, IEP administrators, and US Embassy personnel and RELOs I met/befriended. And although I no longer teach, I recently had a second interview for a training-related position via a referral from one of my Linkedin connections. I've been very proactive about networking and so far, Linkedin has been useful.
Muckles

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
taikibansei wrote:
nomad soul wrote:

I wasn't nitpicking your suggestion. I was clarifying that the OP shouldn't take that as just phoning or emailing HR departments but instead, should email the IEP heads directly.

and taikibansei wrote:

I started networking while still completing my MAT x years ago, and one of those connections helped me secure a supervising teacher for my practicum. Whenever I attended conferences, trainings, etc., in the US and abroad, I always had my personal networking/introduction cards with me to pass out and have continued to update my Linkedin connections with teachers, trainers, IEP administrators, and US Embassy personnel and RELOs I met/befriended. And although I no longer teach, I recently had a second interview for a training-related position via a referral from one of my Linkedin connections. I've been very proactive about networking and so far, Linkedin has been useful.

Hi, sorry for my ignorance, but who is an IEP?
I too have just completed my MA TESOL and am looking to teach ESL at a community college or state college etc in USA. I have taught over 7 years in Korea and am returning to USA with a MA. I am looking for a part time or full time job, but none are being offered in the websites.
Thanks
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muckles wrote:
Sorry for my ignorance, but who is an IEP?
I too have just completed my MA TESOL and am looking to teach ESL at a community college or state college etc in USA.

It's very likely the type of program you're looking to teach in.

Intensive English Programs (IEP) are the academic English language programs that prepare international and local ESL students for university/college studies. Most US universities have an IEP (possibly yours as well). Those that don't, generally partner with a private ESL school. See http://www.ielp.uw.edu/programs/academic-prep/iep/ to get a sense of what an IEP provides.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: