Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Tips for Finding ESL Jobs at American Universities
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muckles wrote:
Hi, sorry for my ignorance, but who is an IEP?
I too have just completed my MA TESOL and am looking to teach ESL at a community college or state college etc in USA. I have taught over 7 years in Korea and am returning to USA with a MA. I am looking for a part time or full time job, but none are being offered in the websites.
Thanks

IEP stands for intensive English program -- an ESL program at a college or university where pre-admission or provisionally-admitted international students study EAP (English for academic purposes) to prepare them for university study.

Since the academic year starts next month in most colleges/universities in the US, you've missed many of the full-time positions for this year, though there are still some being advertised (see below). Full-time positions are competitive, and you'll need to be open to going anywhere in the US to maximize your chances. Your experience abroad will help you. Your lack of experience in the US will hurt you. Was your experience in Korea at university level? Teaching English for academic purposes? If so, those will also help you.

Part-time positions are generally not advertised as much, if at all. You're best off contacting individual programs directly (look up ESL programs at local universities and find a contact email address). You might be able to pick up a class or two here and there as an adjunct instructor.

I'm not sure what you mean by "none are being offered in the websites" -- Higher Ed Jobs currently has 34 full-time ESL positions and 99 adjunct positions listed. You might not fit the requirements of all of these, but you'll probably fit some.

All of that said, many ESL programs in the US are downsizing right now. The last few years have seen substantial decreases in student numbers in many places.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Your experience abroad will help you. Your lack of experience in the US will hurt you. Was your experience in Korea at university level? Teaching English for academic purposes? If so, those will also help you.

Ditto that. The closer your overseas experience is to matching the teaching competencies indicated for most US IEPs, the better your chances are for employment. That's what you'll need to emphasize in your cover letters, if relevant.
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Need Tips for Finding ESL Positions at American University Reply with quote

An "IEP" may also be referred to as an "EAP" (English for Academic Purposes). Then, of course, a college/univ. may denote their ESL program as the ALI - American Language Institute, etc.

An IEP is also an "Individualized Educational Plan" for public school students with documented disabilities or learning disorders (e.g., ADD/ADHD, SpEd). It is a federally enforceable educational plan which outlines all the special accommodations tailored to that particular student's learning needs.

It can be confusing.

PS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Tips for Finding ESL Positions at American Universi Reply with quote

peripatetic_soul wrote:
An "IEP" may also be referred to as an "EAP" (English for Academic Purposes). Then, of course, a college/univ. may denote their ESL program as the ALI - American Language Institute, etc.

Intensive English actually refers to the short timeframe or length of delivery of the program; whereas, English for Academic Purposes, indicates the type or concentration of English being delivered (i.e., the ESP domain). It's not unusual to see courses like Business English, English for Legal Purposes/Law, and TOEFL prep being offered in many US intensive English programs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: