Site Search:
 
Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tens of Thousands KSA Students Leaving USA

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
hash



Joined: 17 Dec 2014
Posts: 444
Location: Wadi Jinn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Tens of Thousands KSA Students Leaving USA Reply with quote

Saudi scholarship students in America fall by 40,000

http://www.arabnews.com/saudi-arabia/news/909571
(See especially highlighted paragraph 4)

JEDDAH: The number of Saudi students studying in the United States has fallen from 120,000 in 2015 to 80,000 in 2016 largely because many have graduated and returned to the Kingdom.

This is according to Mohammad Al-Isa, cultural attaché in the United States, who said that this was the figure for 51 states. He said the scholarship program has been reevaluated but would continue to provide opportunities for Saudis to study abroad, a local publication reported.

Al-Isa said his office was responsible for ensuring Saudi students are admitted to the best universities in the United States, including Ivy League institutions such as Harvard and Stanford.

Al-Isa said there was no room for laziness, with those failing to work being sent back to the Kingdom with nothing to show for their time overseas. The program was being amended to include some of those studying in the United States at their own expense, he said.

The scholarship program made great strides in ensuring scholarships in various disciplines, he said. In the medical field, Saudis were currently being trained at important medical centers including Jones Hopkins and Mayo Clinic.

In addition, outstanding students producing groundbreaking work now have a major law office, hired by the Saudi government and specializing in patents, to protect their rights. The number of patents filed by Saudi students has risen from 60 to 300, said Al-Isa.

He said that Saudis are encouraged to return home after obtaining their certificates. If students want to pursue their academic careers further, they can do so through one of the 37 universities in the Kingdom. For those who wish to engage in practical work, it would be the best to return home and find jobs, he said.

He said Saudi scholarship students mainly face problems with the immigration department when they move from one university to another without consulting the cultural attaché and official United States bodies, or if their visas expire.

On a related matter, David De Maria, assistant dean for international programs at Montana University, said the number of students coming from Saudi Arabia has fallen, which was unfortunate because it would deprive the two nations of developing closer ties.


Last edited by hash on Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
veiledsentiments



Joined: 20 Feb 2003
Posts: 17604
Location: USA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is according to Mohammad Al-Isa, cultural attaché in the United States, who said that this was the figure for 51 states.

I wonder where that 51st state is... I hadn't heard about its addition.

Quote:
Jones Hopkins

Sort of like Johns Hopkins? They ought to know this one as it has been the medical university that has run the major eye hospital in KSA and others around the Gulf for many years...

VS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hash



Joined: 17 Dec 2014
Posts: 444
Location: Wadi Jinn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
.
Quote:
Jones Hopkins
Sort of like Johns Hopkins? They ought to know this one as it has been the medical university that has run the major eye hospital in KSA and others around the Gulf for many years... VS
Or this one: "Al-Isa said his office was responsible for ensuring Saudi students are admitted to the best universities in the United States, including Ivy League institutions such as Harvard and Stanford. "

I didn't realize Stanford was a member of the Ivy League....at least no one told me that the 4 years I was there.

(But I must confess, I never realized it was JOHNS Hopkins. I thought it was JOHN HOPKINS).


.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blackbear



Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Posts: 52

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hash wrote:
.......
I didn't realize Stanford was a member of the Ivy League....at least no one told me that the 4 years I was there.

(But I must confess, I never realized it was JOHNS Hopkins. I thought it was JOHN HOPKINS).


As Pat Paulson once said; "Picky, picky, picky" remember that Scot47 Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gregory999



Joined: 29 Jul 2015
Posts: 372
Location: 999

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Quote:
This is according to Mohammad Al-Isa, cultural attaché in the United States, who said that this was the figure for 51 states.

I wonder where that 51st state is... I hadn't heard about its addition.

I like this one! Laughing

I will tell you why Al-Isa mentioned 51 states.

He checked the number of stars in the USA flag, and by chance, he discovered that the flag has 51 stars not 50, so for him the USA has 51 states not 50. Laughing

Which, politically and imaginary speaking, he is right! Very Happy

A U.S. 51 star flag has been created in case a 51st state actually joins the United States.
51st state refers to a place or territory that is not one of the 50 states of the United States, but people think about making it the 51st state. It is sometimes a joke term in American politics, and sometimes a realistic one. It is usually said about the possibility of Puerto Rico or other U.S. territories becoming part of the United States. When used to refer to other countries, it is a joke, usually about Canada. There have been tries by people in the United States to get Canada to join them (like in the Articles of Confederation), but Canada has never taken up these offers.[1] It is also sometimes used to refer to countries that seem to be controlled by the United States. Before the year 1959 when Alaska and Hawaii became states, the sentence "the 49th state" was used.[2][3]

In 2012 the people of Puerto Rico voted to become the 51st state but they cannot become a state unless the United States Congress agrees.[4]
https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/51st_state
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blackbear



Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Posts: 52

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOOD LUCK in trying to get Canada to join the US of America. Sure there will be a LOT of Canadians who would jump up and down with wanting to join, but the majority won't - especially when they find out there are fewer social service nets (aka unemloyment insurance), more guns, less peace-and quiet and... DO NOT FORGET about the fact that the Province of Quebec uses Napoleonic-code based law and are most anti-gun of any province, never mind that their language is officially French.

Nah, as the old song says: "Dream long with me..." The Canadian 51st state is just a whimsical pipe dream after one too many brandys on a winter evening in front of some fake log fire Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spiral78



Joined: 05 Apr 2004
Posts: 11496
Location: On a Short Leash

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sure there will be a LOT of Canadians who would jump up and down with wanting to join,


Hmmm. Indeed. Especially given the demeaning circus this year's election cycle has become.

I have lived on and off in Canada for 13 years and I don't know a single Canadian who would like to join the US, personally.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gregory999



Joined: 29 Jul 2015
Posts: 372
Location: 999

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackbear wrote:
GOOD LUCK in trying to get Canada to join the US of America. Sure there will be a LOT of Canadians who would jump up and down with wanting to join, but the majority won't -

No way, if elected president, Mr Trump would love to build a wall between Canada and the USA, but the reality in ground is not practical for him, because it will be very long wall and very expensive!!! Laughing
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/02/26/a-border-wall-with-canada-no-way-says-trump_n_9324614.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
veiledsentiments



Joined: 20 Feb 2003
Posts: 17604
Location: USA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
I have lived on and off in Canada for 13 years and I don't know a single Canadian who would like to join the US, personally.

I grew up on the border... still live near it... and spend every winter down in the warm south with mostly Canadians.

I've never met any Canadian who would ever consider being a part of the US as a positive move.

And 007.... there are only 50 stars on the US flag. There are a number of designs in the case of the adding of another state, but none have been produced.

VS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blackbear



Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Posts: 52

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregory999 wrote:
Blackbear wrote:
GOOD LUCK in trying to get Canada to join the US of America. Sure there will be a LOT of Canadians who would jump up and down with wanting to join, but the majority won't -

No way, if elected president, Mr Trump would love to build a wall between Canada and the USA, but the reality in ground is not practical for him, because it will be very long wall and very expensive!!! Laughing
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/02/26/a-border-wall-with-canada-no-way-says-trump_n_9324614.html


And for blowhards like DJ Trump (JMHO) - how will US Engineers build a wall through the middle of Lake Superior, Lake Huron, etc... remember the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald....

Onward with the US election campaign. Freedom!! Fun for foreigners to watch for amusement at the present time.... yes, I know for US voters it is serious, but for foreigners (like myself) who cannot vote it is quite amusing - especially the tirades about women. Huhhh? Around half of US voters are women - so why in the world would any candidate belittle any woman in/on this planet??? Am I, as a foreigner, missing something here?

Personally, we have strayed OT. So time to re-focus...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gregory999



Joined: 29 Jul 2015
Posts: 372
Location: 999

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackbear wrote:
how will US Engineers build a wall through the middle of Lake Superior, Lake Huron, .

Very simple, use floating lake wall, and the problem is solved. Of course it will cost Trump $1 billion to do it. Laughing

Quote:
Onward with the US election campaign. Freedom!! Fun for foreigners to watch for amusement at the present time.... yes, I know for US voters it is serious, but for foreigners (like myself) who cannot vote it is quite amusing - especially the tirades about women. Huhhh? Around half of US voters are women - so why in the world would any candidate belittle any woman in/on this planet??? Am I, as a foreigner, missing something here?

The women of the United States of America will make Trump lose the election, because he insulted them 7 times. Very Happy

Now, back to the topic ....

The number of the Saudis students in the USA will decline exponentially during the next 5 years .... .. the golden years of free grants from Uncle Bandar are over!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2018 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Teaching Jobs in China
Teaching Jobs in China