Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apostille/Visa requirements in Kazakhstan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAnomad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Apostille/Visa requirements in Kazakhstan Reply with quote

I'll be working in Kazakhstan in the fall, and I'm a bit confused about a request I have to prepare my documents for a visa. I've been asked to get my relevant qualifications apostilled. This was specifically noted as my BS and MA degrees, not my teaching certificates/licenses. Here are a few of the questions this evokes for me:

1) Do I get a notary-authenticated copy of the diplomas apostilled? Or do I get the actual, original diplomas apostilled? Or both? I am confused by what I read on the forums here, but they weren't specific to Kazakhstan.

2) My diplomas do not show the subject of my degrees. I was told I don't need to get my transcripts apostilled, just the diplomas showing what degree I was awarded. However, it's so strange because my diplomas just say "Master of Arts" or "Bachelor of Science." The subjects/specializations are not on the diplomas themselves. Should I get my transcripts apostilled as well, just in case? What about my teaching certificates/licenses? I was told that in Kazakhstan, it is a degree in education that makes one qualified to teach, not a license or certificate. However, since I am from the US, a degree in education is not sufficient to teach, and in the case of secondary educators (which I am), it is not the type of degree required to obtain a license. I mean, I studied education but my degree is in my subject. Any thoughts on this?

3) If I do get copies (not originals) of my documents apostilled, do I need to have the copies made and certified by the issuing institutions and then apostilled? Or can I just have copies made myself with a notary and then send them off for the apostille? Is the issue to make sure the credential is legitimate or to make sure the copy is a legitimate copy of the credential?

I've had the experience before where my employer was pretty wet behind the ears with the visa process and kind of botched the whole thing, to be honest. I'm trying to see what I can find out and wading through documents online isn't helping much since I think the qualifications/apostille requirements have more to do with getting the work permit and invitation letter that are needed to get the visa than with documents directly submitted for the visa themselves. I want to get everything as quickly as possible and as correctly as possible, but I'm not really clear on what the requirements are.

If anyone has had experience with this and would like to chime in, your thoughts are much appreciated! Thanks!
kazpat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who (what school) is processing your visa request with the ministry? PM or email me if necessary.

I had a copy of my diploma notarized by my city clerk and this was sufficient for an apostille from the state level Secretary of State. This satisfied the authorities in Kazakhstan. However, rules can change so hopefully someone has done this recently and can help you.

You are correct, the employer applies to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for a work permit (if applicable) and visa reference number. Once the reference number is issued it is telexed to the relevant embassy or consulate. Some Kazakh embassies or consulates also request that you submit a copy of the reference number document yourself. (it varies) Depending on your state of residence you will work with New York or DC. I deal with New York and the people there have been absolutely fantastic in my experience. You may have to call several times but once you get someone on the phone they answer all questions.

I believe that there is a new law which requires a copy of the contract to be submitted to the ministry as well. Your employer is hopefully aware of the process as of 2016.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: