Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BAE Advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danshengou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Class interruptions Reply with quote

bigdurian wrote:
danshengou wrote:
Quote:
20-25k+ can still be found. And if you stay at a place for a few years with regular payrises etc.

IF you lasted longer than 6 months at this gig it would be a miracle, let alone made military EFL a career, especially in Saudi Shocked

Currently happy where I am, which is worth a lot in the land that time forgot.

Well, that makes one then. Would be interesting to see how many have lasted longer than 6 months since the turnover is so high.

As long as there are people who continue to accept the lousy terms and conditions, there will be ongoing downward pressure on salaries and benefits, increased workloads, etc. As if 30 contact hours a week beginning at the crack of dawn with students who can't stay awake isn't enough already, you only get one flight home a year and very little time off, etc.

If you must grab a few quick paychecks out of desperation, it is understandable, but barely even then.

Last edited by danshengou on Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigdurian....are you in a military-type setting (we don't need specifics as many have signed Official Secrets Act)?

No surprise that salaries are decreasing in Saudi (outside the military gigs anyway). After the nest 18 months, Saudi may experience a capital flight.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/07/31/texas-shale-oil-has-fought-saudi-arabia-to-a-standstill/

QEHC are offering 9-10k SAR, Prime Teachers are advertising university PYP gigs starting at 10k SAR. European Center have ca. 12 k (but you only get half that for vacation pay which accrues at the astonishing rate of 1.75 days per month! The European Center tells you that 12000 is made up of 'basic pay' of 5000, 5000 for "teacher performance and professional development" and 2000 "expat allowance". So, month's vacation =5000SAR. This has little to do with Saudi economy and more to do with the owner's greed.

At least at BAE/Language Solutions the $4500 is paid in dollars so conversions to British sterling means a monthly "bonus" of £340-£360 a month....if you can stick it out for 6-9 months that means a cushy little top-up of £2000 - £3000 for your ISA.
danshengou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take these jobs only if you are desperate (i.e., broke and/or homeless) and willing to take your savings to the nearest roulette wheel and let it all ride.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siobhan 22 wrote:

After the nest 18 months, Saudi may experience a capital flight.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/07/31/texas-shale-oil-has-fought-saudi-arabia-to-a-standstill/

Wonderful News! Laughing
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have google-searched BAE and teachers LinkedIn and there are some who have been there 5-7 years, though it mentions they are either 'senior teachers' or have gone on to the 'testing section'. Hard to find any profiles of people who have spent quite a while at the 'chalkface'.
bigdurian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Class interruptions Reply with quote

danshengou wrote:
bigdurian wrote:
danshengou wrote:
Quote:
20-25k+ can still be found. And if you stay at a place for a few years with regular payrises etc.

IF you lasted longer than 6 months at this gig it would be a miracle, let alone made military EFL a career, especially in Saudi Shocked

Currently happy where I am, which is worth a lot in the land that time forgot.

Well, that makes one then. Would be interesting to see how many have lasted longer than 6 months since the turnover is so high.

As long as there are people who continue to accept the lousy terms and conditions, there will be ongoing downward pressure on salaries and benefits, increased workloads, etc. As if 30 contact hours a week beginning at the crack of dawn with students who can't stay awake isn't enough already, you only get one flight home a year and very little time off, etc.

If you must grab a few quick paychecks out of desperation, it is understandable, but barely even then.

I don't work at BAE.
bigdurian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siobhan 22 wrote:
Bigdurian....are you in a military-type setting (we don't need specifics as many have signed Official Secrets Act)?

No surprise that salaries are decreasing in Saudi (outside the military gigs anyway). After the nest 18 months, Saudi may experience a capital flight.

QEHC are offering 9-10k SAR, Prime Teachers are advertising university PYP gigs starting at 10k SAR. European Center have ca. 12 k (but you only get half that for vacation pay which accrues at the astonishing rate of 1.75 days per month! The European Center tells you that 12000 is made up of 'basic pay' of 5000, 5000 for "teacher performance and professional development" and 2000 "expat allowance". So, month's vacation =5000SAR. This has little to do with Saudi economy and more to do with the owner's greed.

At least at BAE/Language Solutions the $4500 is paid in dollars so conversions to British sterling means a monthly "bonus" of £340-£360 a month....if you can stick it out for 6-9 months that means a cushy little top-up of £2000 - £3000 for your ISA.

I am in a military position, but not at BAE.

I think it's okay personally. Good salary, not too stressful, and not too heavy a workload.

It's all relative. I've had worse jobs.
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I ask how many contact hours of teaching you have at your job, and the duration of each lesson?
bigdurian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siobhan 22 wrote:
May I ask how many contact hours of teaching you have at your job, and the duration of each lesson?

It's about twenty to twenty-five a week, forty-five minute classes, depending on what schedule we have been using.
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly better than BAE.. 6 x 50minutes apparently but 1pm finish on Thursday.
danshengou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like BigD's got it a bit better than the fellas at BAE. Still a tough sell though to teach military cadets in Saudi, even if it's in good ol Dhahran.
Lena haveit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Everyday finishes at 1 pm at TSI Reply with quote

5.30 am for start of teaching. Cadets are out of the classroom and teachers leave the building at 1.

There are rumours of a double shift come October when a flood of new cadets arrives. There will be no classroom space for them, so that's why a double shift is proposed. While this may sound like a good thing for teachers, whether or not there will be enough staff is another story. Instead of a double shift, it may be a very long day's split shift.
Makkah

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siobhan 22 wrote:
Have google-searched BAE and teachers LinkedIn and there are some who have been there 5-7 years, though it mentions they are either 'senior teachers' or have gone on to the 'testing section'. Hard to find any profiles of people who have spent quite a while at the 'chalkface'.

I wouldn't read too much into a person being a ST or curriculum development or testing. In some cases it can be that they just need someone ASAP, and who is available just to do the job and not cause problems or rock the boat so to say. Though, if the same people are converted (excluding University) from contractor to direct hire then yes they can kick back abit. Where I'm based I see a few guys who are working as contractors (teachers) invent amazing and unique titles for themselves on LinkedIn. A bit of an on going private joke.
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Everyday finishes at 1 pm at TSI Reply with quote

Lena haveit wrote:
5.30 am for start of teaching. Cadets are out of the classroom and teachers leave the building at 1.

There are rumours of a double shift come October when a flood of new cadets arrives. There will be no classroom space for them, so that's why a double shift is proposed. While this may sound like a good thing for teachers, whether or not there will be enough staff is another story. Instead of a double shift, it may be a very long day's split shift.

Hopefully maybe two longer shifts 5.30 - 1.00, then 2.00 -9.30??
That would keep the same working hours for the $4500 per month.

I hope to find out when I'm mobilized Sep/Oct.
villiusfog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for BAE as an ELT. To my knowledge the package is one of the best going. While the cadets can be difficult, I've generally speaking enjoyed working with them. I've had more good days than bad days and would encourage people to apply. As in any workplace there are challenges, which seem to have been identified by some of my colleagues! I won't go into details on the schedule as I don't want to speculate or rumour monger. Be assured you could certainly land far worse jobs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: