Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ALFSI? Anyone ever heard of them?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: ALFSI? Anyone ever heard of them? Reply with quote

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/114137987?trk=job_view_browse_map

No, I'm not trying to advertise for them. I never heard of them. I already work at a university and am not looking to jump ship to work for some institution that I don't know.
jserio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the non-Turkish qualifications for this seem low? Only 1 year of teaching? I have a Master's (non TESOL related) and four years ESL experience and have been looking for jobs in Istanbul. This seems like a good opportunity. Mind me asking what your background is for working at a university?
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jserio wrote:
Do the non-Turkish qualifications for this seem low? Only 1 year of teaching? I have a Master's (non TESOL related) and four years ESL experience and have been looking for jobs in Istanbul. This seems like a good opportunity. Mind me asking what your background is for working at a university?

I taught at Korean academies for a few years, and I taught at a university in Korea for four years, and I have an MA in TESOL. That said, it's very important to have connections in a country like Turkey or some kind of stroke of luck i.e. to meet the right kind of people. It's important to get to know other expats, Turks etc... You don't need an MA in TESOL or something per se. Plenty of people don't have that. Of course, that will change with time. They'll up the requirements, I imagine.
ossie39

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: ALFSI Anyone hear of them? Reply with quote

Think of the song, Whats it all about Alfie? (Cilla Black) : )

Poor and at times non-existant communication to parties showing interest in work.Problems with acknowledgement, clarification and attitude. My friends agree with me (10 who have commented) - about the rude interviewer who understands little about education. Imagine a leather jacket salesman from Aksaray who wishes to show you a nightclub. You will get the idea. They are an agency helping with universities that outsource for cheapness.
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: ALFSI Anyone hear of them? Reply with quote

ossie39 wrote:
Think of the song, Whats it all about Alfie? (Cilla Black) : )

Poor and at times non-existant communication to parties showing interest in work.Problems with acknowledgement, clarification and attitude. My friends agree with me (10 who have commented) - about the rude interviewer who understands little about education. Imagine a leather jacket salesman from Aksaray who wishes to show you a nightclub. You will get the idea. They are an agency helping with universities that outsource for cheapness.

There are some good jobs to be had out there. There are perils to working as an EFL/ESL teacher overseas, and it's good when other instructor give others the 411 about what place like ALFSI are all about. There are, of course, a lot of sleazy people out there who think the law and ethics are simply subjective and more about those in charge gaining the upper hand over those who are under them.

A friend sent me a link regarding ALFSI. I sniffed at them, and I didn't have a good vibe, so I ignored them, essentially. I was just curious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: