Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Private Tuition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrpianoman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Private Tuition Reply with quote

I signed up to first tutor for English and piano tuition but so far no one has even looked at my profile. It's at least a week. I also put an ad in the local Polytechnic for private lessons, corsi inglese. No one has got in contact!

So what's the matter with Italians then not wanting private lessons? I thought i was going to be inundated with requests being a native speaker. One of the teachers where I work said however that she charges 10 euro an hour as they won't pay more than this. She tried 20 euro I think but didn't get many. Why such a low rate for private lessons then in Italy? I want 25euro per hour.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did your ad say, and where did you post it? €25 an hour could be quite steep depending on where you are. You might also be up against other people (who might have been doing private tuition for a while, and so have a group of students, who recommend them to others).

I've only ever done private lessons once, and I charged lower than what you want. I knew the family beforehand, which is why they asked me. I regularly get asked for private lessons through people I know, friends of friends. (I also regularly turn private work down as I have no time, but that's a different issue.)

In my opinion, you need to be patient and you need to build it up. Give away the first lesson free perhaps, get to know people, show yourself as someone serious and professional, etc etc.

Also, right now might not be such a great time. People are just about finishing their last month before school / university ends.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: