Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Start up costs in HCM
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Has this topic been covered before?
Its easier this way
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Im not ashamed
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0

hubris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Start up costs in HCM Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Moving to Ho Chi Minh in July and just wondering if any of you have advice on start up costs. Im a 23 year old Male from Ireland. Housing wise, Id like something simple, close to D1 and with western facilities. Id like to think I have a good idea of how much I will need to set up and start teaching but Id appreciate any input.

Also, If you have and advice or tips in securing a job. Ive read a lot of articles saying that the demand is high at the moment, but id like to clarify this with people that actually have their boots on the ground. Smile

I have a tefl cert and a BA degree. Advice in general is welcome, and hey I wont even be mad if I get a few negative comments. (yeah this topic prob has been covered before)
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple years back I wrote a pretty extensive rant on this very topic.

Came in with $1000. Wound up having to sell one of my cameras for around $500 to get some extra scratch.

Would recommend coming in with no less than $2000 in your pocket but it's certainly possible if you have the right attitude. There's lots of jaded negativity frequently flung about these boards. You'd do well to heed where it comes from but ignore that venom.

Housing, especially nice western-style accomdation is kinda pricey in D1 these days. D7 would be a better bet - I had myself a decent 75/m2 apt with two bedrooms/bathrooms for $500/mo after utilities. D1 I'd imagine would be $600+

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=104369
sigmoid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would recommend coming in with no less than $2000 in your pocket

I concur, but would not recommend keeping it all in a single pocket.

Quote:
Also, If you have and advice or tips in securing a job...

Search for "English teaching jobs Vietnam" on the internet. For example, there's a job board on this website:

http://eslcafe.com/joblist/

Send your CV to some schools that look interesting. Wait for replies.

Correspond with schools that reply. Maybe set up a potential interview for when you arrive. Ask some questions.

At some point in the future, arrive in Vietnam. Contact the schools you have corresponded with. Let them know you are here.

Don't bring boots. It's too hot and humid to wear boots in Vietnam.

Drop your CV off at some schools you have not already corresponded with. Wait for replies.

Hopefully, get some replies and set up some interviews.

Go to the interviews. If they like you, they will often schedule a "demo lesson". If you do a good demo, they may offer you some classes, or a position.

Anyway, yes, demand is fairly high, especially at this time of year around May - Nov.

Quote:
Advice in general is welcome

Specific questions work better. Cool
commandunclear

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pm sent.
creeper1

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if bringing any cash at all to Vietnam is a good idea. I mean you must obviously bring some but ffs.this is the year 2016 and we ought to be using our Visa cards for most things.

My advice is don't bring thousands of euros from Ireland instead bring your credit or debit card. I think you will be able to pay for hotels that way.

Lots of thieves around district one and some of them use a technique of cutting through your trouser pockets to remove money unbeknownst to you.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone is suggesting bring $2000 cash into the country. Laughing They're just saying to have that much available to you via bank, sock, or whatever means you usually keep your money.
TRH

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

creeper1 wrote:
I'm wondering if bringing any cash at all to Vietnam is a good idea. I mean you must obviously bring some but ffs.this is the year 2016 and we ought to be using our Visa cards for most things.

My advice is don't bring thousands of euros from Ireland instead bring your credit or debit card. I think you will be able to pay for hotels that way.

Lots of thieves around district one and some of them use a technique of cutting through your trouser pockets to remove money unbeknownst to you.
Landing in Vietnam with no cash at all as Creeper1 suggests could be a nightmare. You could put a lot on VISA if you intend to stay in four or five star hotels and eat at high end restaurants in District 1 only. You could have fun running through your $2000 or even €2000 in maybe a few weeks that way. And don't forget the foreign exchange fees.

The small guest house is going to want cash and if you want to buy breakfast on the street, showing a credit card will get a bemused response together with a still outstretched hand. Get used to using cash. Vietnamese have credit and debit cards but seem to use them only for big ticket items.

What you need to do is set up a banking situation in Vietnam asap but that is another whole topic. If you really do use your Euro based VISA card you will need a way to pay the bill electronically or else it is not going to work well after you fail to make a few payments.
kurtz

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RustyShackleford wrote:

Came in with $1000. Wound up having to sell one of my cameras for around $500 to get some extra scratch.

Would recommend coming in with no less than $2000 in your pocket but it's certainly possible if you have the right attitude. There's lots of jaded negativity frequently flung about these boards. You'd do well to heed where it comes from but ignore that venom.

Housing
, especially nice western-style accomdation is kinda pricey in D1 these days. D7 would be a better bet - I had myself a decent 75/m2 apt with two bedrooms/bathrooms for $500/mo after utilities. D1 I'd imagine would be $600+

Nice. I'd say there is an equal amount of pea-brained 20-something know-it-all brats who should not be in a foreign country; like the ones who come with only a grand and run out of money so they have to pawn their stuff. Or others who need a loan or an advance from their first pay check which means they are always skint. Irresponsible and just plain stupid.

$5000 USD minimum to start up in an Asian country. I have seen it too many times with ignorant brats arriving with nothing, and then losing their job and then being in a sorry state indeed.

People need to listen to the mature and experienced *cough* I mean "jaded" posters as they might just have some good advice, but most people on boards like this only hear what they want to hear.

As the discussion has turned to the basics of carrying money abroad; again, it is not brain surgery. Emergency cash hidden somewhere, debit card and credit card. Use a card to take out the maximum allowed to reduce fees. Pay off credit card so you don't have to pay interest.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: re: hmmmm Reply with quote

From a fat, balding, poor late 30s bloke who has been round the ringer in asia....the best way, have a job lined up before you go, that you know is yours. Stay in a hostel for the first month if you need to....you can hunt for fancy damn apartments once you have got a month or twos local salary in your hand/money belt under your shirt/bank. Going in and thinking of renting apartments in the downtown area, with no job on arrival, and then presumably going out in the meantime won't lead to anything good. You want to land there with at least a few concrete job offers, and then live like a monk the first month or two.....yeap, no fun, but if you want fun then you go to Bangkok or Vegas, not places like China or Viet....approach getting a job in a methodical way, and I'm sure you will have no problems.

Just my take...others may disagree, and that is their right. My opinion is my own.

Cheers,
SP
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with above, but for gods sake do not stay in a dorm.

Find a cheap place, all you need is a bed with a bathroom[maybe shared if you're flat broke].

I don't know how Vietnam works but some places like China you work a month and often get paid half way through the next.

Pay the accommodation upfront. If you've got somewhere to live then you can mould the other stuff around that.

If you've only got $150 left for the month, you know you've got 5 dollars a day, so it looks like street food and carbing up on shitty cake is your way forward.

If I came in with say $3000 I'd probably find a cheap house / room and pay three months up front plus deposit [say $200 a month x 4]. Then you know you've got $2200 to last you, AND you've got a guaranteed roof over your head.

Don't be taken in by the glitz and glamour. Don't go clubbing so much, don't go whoring too much.

Also, don't analyse how cheap things are coming in with $4000 in your pocket. You might say 'well my house is only 1/20th of this!' but, if you're only earning $1000 then actually it's 1/5th.

I had that problem. Came to China with about $10,000 in Sterling and everything was crazy cheap, $15 meals for 4 people etc. THEN it ran out and I got my first paycheck, about $600. Woops.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: re: good points Reply with quote

Quote:
Find a cheap place, all you need is a bed with a bathroom[maybe shared if you're flat broke].

I don't know how Vietnam works but some places like China you work a month and often get paid half way through the next.

Pay the accommodation upfront. If you've got somewhere to live then you can mould the other stuff around that.

If you've only got $150 left for the month, you know you've got 5 dollars a day, so it looks like street food and carbing up on shitty cake is your way forward.

If I came in with say $3000 I'd probably find a cheap house / room and pay three months up front plus deposit [say $200 a month x 4]. Then you know you've got $2200 to last you, AND you've got a guaranteed roof over your head.

Don't be taken in by the glitz and glamour. Don't go clubbing so much, don't go whoring too much.

Also, don't analyse how cheap things are coming in with $4000 in your pocket. You might say 'well my house is only 1/20th of this!' but, if you're only earning $1000 then actually it's 1/5th.

I had that problem. Came to China with about $10,000 in Sterling and everything was crazy cheap, $15 meals for 4 people etc. THEN it ran out and I got my first paycheck, about $600. Woops.

Valid points....getting accomodation sorted and out of the way, at least gives you a place to sleep, shower, s**t, shave and shampoo.

Agree about clubbing and whoring....but even though I like a beer, my sort of beer places would be the bia hoi type ones, or like in China drinking big cold bottles of cheap lager while eating cheap snacks, no interest in bars now really.

Cheers again,
sp
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtz wrote:
RustyShackleford wrote:

Housing
, especially nice western-style accomdation is kinda pricey in D1 these days. D7 would be a better bet - I had myself a decent 75/m2 apt with two bedrooms/bathrooms for $500/mo after utilities. D1 I'd imagine would be $600+

Nice. I'd say there is an equal amount of pea-brained 20-something know-it-all brats who should not be in a foreign country; like the ones who come with only a grand and run out of money so they have to pawn their stuff. Or others who need a loan or an advance from their first pay check which means they are always skint. Irresponsible and just plain stupid.

$5000 USD minimum to start up in an Asian country. I have seen it too many times with ignorant brats arriving with nothing, and then losing their job and then being in a sorry state indeed.

People need to listen to the mature and experienced *cough* I mean "jaded" posters as they might just have some good advice, but most people on boards like this only hear what they want to hear.

I didn't mean to imply that guys such as yourself are wrong - I said 'ignore the venom' not 'ignore their words,' such as calling others pea-brained. My choice to go to Vietnam was a calculated one based on a lot of research. I consulted with friends on the other side about its feasibility. The camera was also a conscious, if reluctant, choice to bring as collateral.

In the end, I've lived out the better half of my 20s abroad, learned a couple languages and gotten a Masters degree. That means jack-all about my intelligence and I've made more than my share of mistakes. Ultimately though, today's experienced and mature jaded folk are just as often yesterday's pea-brained brats.
SinaloaPaisa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4,000 dollars a save amount to come out with?

I am assuming it takes 1.5 - 2 months to get their first pay check?
Mattingly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Start up costs in HCM Reply with quote

hubris wrote:
Hi guys,

Moving to Ho Chi Minh in July and just wondering if any of you have advice on start up costs. Im a 23 year old Male from Ireland. Housing wise, Id like something simple, close to D1 and with western facilities. Id like to think I have a good idea of how much I will need to set up and start teaching but Id appreciate any input.

Also, If you have and advice or tips in securing a job. Ive read a lot of articles saying that the demand is high at the moment, but id like to clarify this with people that actually have their boots on the ground. Smile

I have a tefl cert and a BA degree. Advice in general is welcome, and hey I wont even be mad if I get a few negative comments. (yeah this topic prob has been covered before)

Welcome,

For start up cost, I would come wit a minimum of $2,000 as a cushion.

Yes, it will take a a couple weeks or month after you start a job(s) to receive a paycheck.

It also pays to go carefully when choosing jobs, and asking around about a school's reputation before taking something right away will help avoid a bad situation.

IMO, there is demand, AND there are a lot of teachers competing for jobs.

I don't think you noted what ages you prefer to teach?

Do you have any experience? I'm only asking, b/c if you don't have any yet, then I suppose you do not have a preference for age or types of classes.

Kids?

Cheers.
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One tip is , whatever you do, spend as little as possible your first month or two. You may end up earning 2500-3000 and live will be great, but you never know.

Come in and find a shared house for $150-200 so that you are keeping costs down. Once you've paid for a couple months of that, you know how much you have left.

First thing is pay for a few months accommodation. A roof over your head means you won't be living on a park bench and have a place for a shower etc. Then you can adjust. If things get expensive you can live on $5-10 a day, no problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: