Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Xiangtai Polytechnic College

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beijingbilly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Xiangtai Polytechnic College Reply with quote

After many years in the Middle East I have hit 60 and need to look elsewhere. I have had several offers from China--and the above seems to be the best. I have read around about jobs in China and learned that public university jobs are often the best. However, a few points worry me:

1. First, I was told this was a public uni but then it morphed into a poly. I am not sure if this makes much difference--but they are asking me to do 18 hours a week, which seems more than the average 12-15 at a uni. I fear the quality of student might be a lot worse than at a uni.

2. I have a PhD and they said this was why they particularly wanted me. They have offered 8000 RMB monthly--which I think is not bad for a third tier city. Everyone seems to agree that I would probably save at least half of that. Accommodation is free and on campus (they say it is a 4 bedroom apartment which I will have alone). Also, they agree to pay all utilities except any telephone bill.

3. The contract stipulates that I will have health insurance and can take 15 sick days with pay--though they must be supported with a sick note. After that, I can be absent sick up to 3 months and will be paid 80% of minimum wage. There are bonuses for completion of each semester and the flight there and back will be refunded at the end of the contract. The contract is for exactly 12 months. It is stipulated that I will receive the same holidays during that time as Chinese citizens. I assume that means a long 4 week break too? It is also stipulated that I can take off up to ten emergency days every year (without pay of course).

4. I like being independent and the person who interviewed me told me I could teach whatever I wanted to my classes. This is mostly good, but also means a lot of preparation. I worry the students might be really poor.

5. Probation is one month and I can leave without penalty during that time. After the probation there is a sliding financial penalty to pay if I leave starting at $2000 immediately after the end of probation, then to $1500, $1000 and $500 for the last 2 months. I don't like these penalties, but I think they are pretty standard now? I don't intend to leave and if I really needed to after 6 months or so, paying them $1000 would not be a big deal. Still, is it some kind of red flag?

6. It's quite hard to get much information on Xingtai. The interviewer said there will be some Germans on campus in September and that lots of schools have foreign teachers in the city, so there is an expatriate scene. I don't worry too much about this, but it is nice to have at least a few other expats around. I worry that I will be completely isolated in a third tier Chinese city with absolutely nothing to do in my free time. A certain Adam Hopes who has taught in China for 11 years said the people of Xingtai were the kindest he had ever met in China and treat foreigners really well. The lady who interviewed me was really nice too.

7. The last point worries me a lot. It seems Xiangtai used to have the accolade of being the most polluted city in China--though I think that title now goes to another city in the Hebei region. I think Beijing and all those cities around it are heavily polluted. Perhaps there isn't really much difference between them? I wonder if the pollution in Xingtai is so bad that it might become a deal breaker? Or maybe just a year there wouldn't really have too much effect on someone's lungs?

If anyone can offer advice or ideas on this to a first-timer in China, his/her thoughts would be much appreciated. Does this seem like an okay deal?

Last edited by beijingbilly on Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found vocational college students a delight as they are usually focused on a career. Uni students often just progress to graduation and see what turns up.
17 hours (I assume it's all contact time) sounds a bit much, but given that you will likely be employed under a standard SAFEA the max is in fact 20 hours.
Generally the timetables pan out to 14 or 16 hours and again I'm surprised that they tell you at this stage exactly how many hours you'll teach. I've never had my timetable earlier than the night before the semester starts.
Another point is that vocationals teach 3-year associate degrees and students do work placements in Y2. The foreign teacher resource is accordingly concentrated into the freshmen classes and there won't be any English majors.
Which majors seem to work hardest at English seems to be related to how much they see English as a key to their job prospects. Hotel Management and Tourism majors are keen students in my experience - IT technicians less so.
The class attitude may of course be related to the gender balance with girls setting the standard and pace of the class.
Surprised at the 4-bedroom remark. Do you mean 4-room? In my exp apartments are: 2xbedroom, lounge/sitting room/dining, plus kitchen and bathroom which will likely incorporate a washing machine with spin cycle.
Given the time of year etc, I advocate the least downside approach. you really should have your deal in place before the summer holiday.
Unless someone comes up with a horror story seems you have a reasonable offer. Once you are settled look at the surrounding higher status schools and pay a visit with a view to moving on in Y2. Having said that, continuous service with one school generally seems helpful in getting renewals beyond the age when a new hire wouldn't get a look in.
The Chinese respond better to face-to-face contact as we do.
Look for the thread 'Job Offer Checklist' to see the other stuff you should be asking about. Airfare refund/allowance is one that is worth really tieing down. In the day you got a refund but now it's as low as 8000RMB and could be less.
I'll PM you a link to my ebook. It'll cost you a few dollars but you may find it worth a read.
Best

NS
beijingbilly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer. I also had one or two private responses too. However, I notice they all ignored the question about pollution. Perhaps this is something most people in China just block out of their minds as there is nothing they can do about it?
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each city is different around a pretty polluted baseline.
Coastal cities that get sea breezes are better and inland ones worse.
A former student took her first trip to London last week and her text to me ran: 'The air is so clean!'.
You can get portable air filters and if the school is paying for your utilities they might be a good investment - not cheap though.
Away from home you are stuck apart from facemasks.
max71081

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Xiangtai Polytechnic College Reply with quote

beijingbilly wrote:
A certain Adam Hopes who has taught in China for 11 years said the people of Xingtai were the kindest he had ever met in China and treat foreigners really well. The lady who interviewed me was really nice too.

I can attest to this...My favorite students came from xingtai...friendly, kind, generous, helpful...the people of xingtai should be the least of your worries...
teenoso

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pollution could be a real issue if you plan to stay there a long time, but for a one-year contract it might be bearable.The quite generous salary perhaps includes a 'pollution premium', because lots of foreigners would never consider working or living in the Hebei or Henan regions, so the college is having recruitment problems.
The cold in winter may also be something you should consider.

I suggest you contact the school and try to nail down the class sizes. I think this is more important than the students' English level.
Classes of 35 students or fewer seem to work ok, but if you are given classes of 50 or 60 (or more) then class management and meaningful interaction and speaking activities become almost impossible (IME).
beijingbilly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But pollution is a problem everywhere in China? No one is safe? Perhaps Beijing may not be much better than cities like Xiangtai? Of course I can understand teachers wanting to avoid pollution. But in that case it might be better to avoid China completely?

Good point about class size. I have just left a question on Skype about it. But college probably will not get back until afrer May holiday.
beijingbilly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually she promptly replied: between 20 and 40 a class.
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beijingbilly wrote:
But pollution is a problem everywhere in China? No one is safe? Perhaps Beijing may not be much better than cities like Xiangtai? Of course I can understand teachers wanting to avoid pollution. But in that case it might be better to avoid China completely?

Everywhere in China seems to be getting worse.
I could see blue skies a few years ago. Now, I never see blue skies.
In Anhui I have seen brown skies. My students thought I was lying when I told them that I could see thousands of stars at night in the USA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: