Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

British Family Attacked in Thailand
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shakey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: British Family Attacked in Thailand Reply with quote

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/28/shocking-video-emerges-of-british-family-being-brutally-attacked/

Did anyone see this in the news? A retired British couple were attacked on the street along with their son.

The Thais are not a violent people. So I am shocked that this happened in Thailand. The Thais are such gentle people who are always smiling.
Knedliki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm shocked that the man was attacked from the side in such a cowardly way while the attacker was surrounded by fellow Thais.
Thais usually fight fairly.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knedliki wrote:

They do? I've been attacked by Thais in Thailand before, and it didn't seem like a fair fight at all. I was attacked because I was trying to keep a Thai mob from attacking a Thai transvestite that was already on the ground.

When Thais fight they tend to mob or fight in groups, especially against foriegners who are beneath them so it's OK with them.
Shakey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Thailand is so safe. And Thais are so friendly and always smiling.

I do not even believe that the Asians beating those British tourists are even Thai.

They must be some other nationality. I just cannot see Thais being violent.
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Is what you're consuming legal? And where can I get some?
Knedliki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot that every time a Brit uses sarcasm or irony they should sate their actual meaning in big capital letters.

Something along the lines of. The following sentence is IRONIC...IRONY ALERT
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knedliki wrote:
I forgot that every time a Brit uses sarcasm or irony they should sate their actual meaning in big capital letters.

Something along the lines of. The following sentence is IRONIC...IRONY ALERT

I didn't respond earlier, but, I'll just say that forums such as these aren't good mediums to convey sarcasm/irony. That's why we have emoticons. Besides, the [fake] views you expressed above were nowhere near as ridiculous as some of the nonsense that I've read on this forum, often written by people who seem to sincerely believe what they are saying Confused.

Furthermore, most forum users here don't know each other from a bar of soap. Whilst I don't doubt that you had your tongue firmly in your cheek while you were typing, others couldn't see that and, like in your above example, a sarcastic/ironic post is basically indistinguishable from a post by some stranger who is unknowingly talking utter bollocks. IMHO, that's not a 'Brit'/'everyone else' thing, that's an 'Internet forum' thing.

Anyway, in regards to the attack itself, disgusting! However, on the plus side, I have no doubt that the authorities are going to come down hard on the offenders. Heaven knows how much damage this has caused the Thai tourism industry.
Knedliki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sentence about the cowardly way the family were attacked gave the context for my subsequent irony.
I realise a lot of native English speakers don't get irony and sadly see the English language in black and white instead of different shades.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knedliki wrote:
My sentence about the cowardly way the family were attacked gave the context for my subsequent irony.

Well, others took it as you expressing surprise over the event because "Thais usually fight fairly". Why not? Like I said before, probably very few (if any) people here know you from a bar of soap and sincere idiotic/inaccurate statements get posted on Dave's all the time! Furthermore, speaking for myself, I typically don't study forum posts here for non-literal meanings as the purpose of this forum is to communicate ideas/information instantly. There are plenty of forums out there where people can, for example, share and discuss poems/short stories and search for metaphors, similes, literal meanings, irony etc. until the cows come home, but this isn't one of them.

Knedliki wrote:
I realise a lot of native English speakers don't get irony and sadly see the English language in black and white instead of different shades.

I'm actually studying a Master's in English Literature and I think I have a pretty good understanding of concepts like irony, literal expression etc. However, like I explained before, we have emoticons for a reason and this is not a good medium to convey sarcasm/irony. That's not to say you can't do it (Shakey did it on this thread, without causing any misunderstandings). Anyway, I don't want to belabor the point, or derail the thread, and I've had my two cents. If you want to maintain that the misunderstanding was caused because the audience here is too unsophisticated to appreciate your writing then I guess there is no harm in that either.
Knedliki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why you need to over analyse everything I write. Does it give you some sense of self importance?

Good luck with your studies and when you write your thesis and want to convey different concepts, don't use emoticons. I don't think your prof will appreciate it.
Knedliki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote "Thais usually fight fairly"
Shake wrote "Thais are not a violent people"

Not wanting to put words in Shakey's mouth but I think he was being ironic too. Can you explain why you took such exception to my post?
RiverMystic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This wasn't a great advert for Thailand and the Thais, was it? Jumping some geriatric tourists and then prancing around like you had just floored Tyson or something. I'm afraid "cowardly" is the only word that fits.

I've never encountered any violence in Thailand. I work in China, BTW, but spend about a month on a Koh Chang every year. Sometimes I'm surprised there isn't more violence. There's plenty of seedy foreigners in TL, as we all know. I think most of them don't cause too much trouble, though, as they are "busy" doing other things.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knedliki wrote:
I don't know why you need to over analyse everything I write. Does it give you some sense of self importance?

Just responding to the points you made and my supposed "sense of self importance" has nothing to do with it. In my view, you expressed yourself poorly earlier and, instead of just acknowledging it and having it done with, you went on to blame everyone else (due to their inability to appreciate nuance) for the resulting and understandable confusion.

Besides, this is a discussion forum. If you post a POV here, others are free to post in response and either agree with you, or to disagree. I happen to disagree with what you wrote earlier and I've given my reasons as to why. If that's "over analyzing", in your view, then so be it. Just by the by, as far as I know, this is the third time I've posted in response to any of your posts so I think it's a bit of stretch to say that I'm over analyzing everything you write.

Knedliki wrote:
Good luck with your studies and when you write your thesis and want to convey different concepts, don't use emoticons. I don't think your prof will appreciate it.

Thank you for the good wishes and, don't worry, I won't be using emoticons for my thesis as that would be highly inappropriate for that medium.
Knedliki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point of view is that you seem like an individual who is incapable of seeing the nuances of the English language.

Each to their own eh
Knedliki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knedliki wrote:
I wrote "Thais usually fight fairly"
Shake wrote "Thais are not a violent people"

Not wanting to put words in Shakey's mouth but I think he was being ironic too. Can you explain why you took such exception to my post?

I'm still waiting for your explanation. Why do you think I expressed myself poorly?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: