Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

guangzhou job
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrpianoman

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: guangzhou job Reply with quote

is 16000rmb per month plus 3000 housing plus 8000flight ok for an adult teaching job in Guangzhou? Can I get a room for 3000? Will I be able to find privates easily there?
mrpianoman

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 people have looked at this post but no one has answered. Is anyone in Guangzhou who knows?
max71081

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrpianoman wrote:
50 people have looked at this post but no one has answered. Is anyone in Guangzhou who knows?

Billy Joel knows Laughing
blox

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my time in gz...3000 would maybe get you a normal shabby Chinese style apartment but definitely nothing central so maybe state where your work location is...closest metro station?

If 16,000 is before tax your really on round 12 which I was getting during my time in gz and lived alright, had a good time but also made me force my way up the job ladder.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gzclassifieds.com/real-estate/rooms-for-rent-shared
Ain't Google wonderful?
Laurence

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Wall Street English, right?

It's the best-paid language school, I think. Sounds like you are going for the full hours contract, which won' leave you much time for privates.

You'll be able to save some of your base salary though - it would be a pretty crazy month to burn through all that.

Setting-up costs will be high though, and nice apartments start at 4000 per month in GZ. Most people I know there pay more than that.
claka77

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's quite reasonable but it depends on who you're working for (and how many hours they're making you work). I lived on 8000 + free housing + 10000 for flights at a college in Tianhe North District near Guangzhou East Railway Station; the hours were low (no office hours) and the free housing made a difference (with a couple of privates on the side, I didn't need to do them but it paid for a holiday). If I was at a training centre I'd want something like what you're being offered though (as apartments where I lived were around 4000rmb). Near Zhujiang New Town/Liede I think apartments can be a lot more (it's a nice area if you want to be near foreign restaurants,bars,etc) however Taojin maybe an alternative (cheaper but rougher, variety of restaurants and many foreigners are there).
mrpianoman

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I think it's 25 hours teaching and 15 office hours. I don't think it's wall street. Those rooms on that website are pretty reasonable, albeit that you're sharing with someone. When do you get your first housing allowance usually? after working for one month or immediately when you arrive?
mrpianoman

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been offered a job in Beijing this morning for the same money (16k) but they don't know if they can get me a FEC as I don't have a BA, only a graduate diploma. So they said do I want to work on a tourist visa and travel to HK every 3 months. Dunno whether to accept or wait to see if this job in Gz is offered to me as it's close to HK. Can't I just get a BA somewhere to save all the fuss?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrpianoman wrote:
Can't I just get a BA somewhere to save all the fuss?

Sure, at one of those places in your home country known as an "accredited university." Rolling Eyes
mrpianoman

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have a degee in england anyway.
mrpianoman

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it doable to go to HK from Beijing every 3 months to renew your tourist visa? The agent said it's 600-1200 RMB for the flight in china. I think it's 3.5 hour flight. They're offering 16K but it's teaching junior science with all the teaching materials given to you so should get more really as they're hiring me cos of my PGCE.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No BA, a 'degree' and a supposed PGCE (interesting how you got this without a BA). All this after getting sacked three weeks into a Berlitz gig in Italy. Sounding quite like an under-bridge dweller again.
mrpianoman

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said and it's getting tedious, my graduate diploma is equivalent to a bachelors degree in England. It was recognised by the then department of education and science as conferring degree pass status. Look, put it this way, I could have done a BA in music instead but I wanted the performing element at the time so I chose the Graduate 'of my conservatoire' course instead. Obviously in hindsight, it would've been more convenient to have done a BA as all countries recognise this. If I wanted to teach in America or Australia, I can get my qualifications transcribed to show they are acceptable for teaching in the USA or Aussie. You use an equivalency .

There is no 'upgrade' necessary to a BA, since I already have a degree equivalent in the UK (and the saudi employer recognises this as already discussed)

I may have to be a bridge dweller in China/Saudi, who the heck knows.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
mrpianoman

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:54 am Post subject: Reply with quote Report Post

I've been offered a job in Beijing this morning for the same money (16k) but they don't know if they can get me a FEC as I don't have a BA, only a graduate diploma. So they said do I want to work on a tourist visa and travel to HK every 3 months. Dunno whether to accept or wait to see if this job in Gz is offered to me as it's close to HK. Can't I just get a BA somewhere to save all the fuss?

You keep bringing it up yourself. I agree it's tedious Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: