Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tutor Time - do you have any experience?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michaela

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Tutor Time - do you have any experience? Reply with quote

Hello fellow teachers!

I was offered a job with Tutor Time in Hong Kong. Does anyone have any experience with them? Good or bad?
The contract is for 2 years and involves working half saturday...so I'd like to hear your opinion first.

Thanx a lot!
killa11john

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just sent u a PM as i am also starting with tutor time
Michaela

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killa11john wrote:
just sent u a PM as i am also starting with tutor time

replied Smile
Kowloon

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're working 5 and a half days a week I would expect at least 28k a month for that. I earned 25k for 5 days a week back when I worked at a language centre. That was to teach 30 hours, an extra 200HKD was paid for additional classes on top of that. (The base salary at my place was 23k, plus 1k for each legit qualification you had).
Michaela

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kowloon wrote:
If you're working 5 and a half days a week I would expect at least 28k a month for that. I earned 25k for 5 days a week back when I worked at a language centre. That was to teach 30 hours, an extra 200HKD was paid for additional classes on top of that. (The base salary at my place was 23k, plus 1k for each legit qualification you had).

The salary I was offered is a generus one indeed! However working every saturday for 2 years...I declined their offer. Money is not everything.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michaela wrote:
Kowloon wrote:

The salary I was offered is a generus one indeed! However working every saturday for 2 years...I declined their offer. Money is not everything.

I think when considering a position you have to take into account the total package. Salary, allowances, working hours, working conditions, job responsibilities, class sizes etc etc. Also, you have to think about where you are in your career. What might be suitable for a keen 'green' teacher might not work for a more experienced one. Working Saturdays is quite common for language centre positions, many teachers do so in order to build up their experience and improve their local contacts. Then they use that and move on to better jobs (often within the EDB NET scheme, intl schools or even freelancing on their own).
Spelunker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: re: yeap Reply with quote

Quote:
Working Saturdays is quite common for language centre positions,

You know your onions regarding HK language centre positions. As sunday is a holiday, it's the one day the parents can cram the students in, and the one full day the LC's have to make good money
Dancebiscuits

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked there for a year, leaving halfway through a 2-year contract.

It's not 'teaching' by any stretch - it's babysitting. You'll also find the lack of Saturday mornings (and therefore Friday nights) a real pain. Unlike a proper government or international school, they offer no relocation package or airfare, and they're not particularly helpful about the process - it's pretty much just a revolving door for them. You're very much a dancing Western monkey, there to sing songs and impress the parents who are spending a fortune for the privilege of native English speaking carers.

All that said...
They're very well-equipped little kindergartens, the kids are extremely cute and well-loved, the staff genuinely care and the salary is OK. The curriculum is actually age-appropriate (unlike other kindergartens I've worked in), and you can have a lot of fun if you're inclined towards silliness - dressing up, singing songs etc - and hard work.

I had a fairly good year there because I had a very nice school manager and the boss and the parents liked me. I wouldn't recommend it to someone with a serious interest in school teaching, or a dodgy back and knees!
Spelunker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: re: pretty much every kindie/TC.... Reply with quote

Quote:
It's not 'teaching' by any stretch - it's babysitting. You'll also find the lack of Saturday mornings (and therefore Friday nights) a real pain. Unlike a proper government or international school, they offer no relocation package or airfare, and they're not particularly helpful about the process - it's pretty much just a revolving door for them. You're very much a dancing Western monkey, there to sing songs and impress the parents who are spending a fortune for the privilege of native English speaking carers.

That is an apt description of many a training centre or kindergarten in HK. You are just eye candy for the parents, who want their little minion to be attended to by the ghost man/woman, nothing more, nothing less.
celta

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: re: pretty much every kindie/TC.... Reply with quote

That is an apt description of many a training centre or kindergarten in HK. You are just eye candy for the parents, who want their little minion to be attended to by the ghost man/woman, nothing more, nothing less.[/quote]

Hear! Hear! Absolutely! Primitive, ignorant and rich!

Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: