Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EURO 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which team will win EURO 2016?
Germany
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
Spain
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
England
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Portugal
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Belgium
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Italy
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
France
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Other
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 11

twowheel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portugal vs. Wales and Germany vs. France

Any ideas for the final?

I say both semis are tough and tight but ultimately it will be Portugal vs. Germany for the final.

Again, I shall contend that that particular final match would be anticlimatic with Germany winning 3-1. Spain vs. Italy, Italy vs. France, and Germany vs. France would prove to be more spectacular matches than the upcoming final on Saturday, July 10th.

twowheel
twowheel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My God man, just when it appeared that Italy vs. Germany was the match and it couldn't get any better, we now have Germany vs. France...and it could get a whole lot better regarding top-notch Continental football.

Yeah, I'm hypin' it up...and shamelessly at that. See you on Thursday, July 7th.

twowheel
Hod

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod wrote:

-Rooney will start every game.
- Bale will tear England apart on 16th June. This game is on a Thursday at 2pm UK time. Nice one, UEFA.
- England finish third in Group B, but as one of the four best-placed teams, they'll play Group C winner (Germany) or Group D winner (Spain)*.
* This is my understanding from UEFA's waffly website.
- France

One out of four.

I was disappointed with Germany tonight, but most of their players are past their best. There's no wow factor with them anymore, unlike France.

But what are Portugal doing in the final? I'm not being funny, but even England's players are better man for man.

Just as 2010, England had some of the best players in the tournament, but for unknown reasons, they couldn't be bothered. Living in Germany in 2010, I can't forget German captain Philip Lahm's post-match interview after losing to Spain in the semis. He was distraught, barely able to speak through the tears. That won't happen with England, even if their current players were plenty good enough to reach the Euro 2016 finals.
twowheel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

England man for man better than Portugal? Perhaps, but team...

I was disappointed with Germany as well. Plenty of aggressive attacking offense, but just could never put one in. France's defense was excellent.

1984's Platini is to 2016's Griezmann?

I think France-3, Portugal-1.

I'm not a fan of Portugal and CR7 (does he wear make-up when he is on the pitch?).

I am a Germany fan but I do have respect for Les Bleus. Agreed. They do bring the "wow factor".

twowheel
twowheel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lengthy quotes from Didier Deschamps:

"I had my share [of finals] as a player. I'm very proud as a coach and proud of my players – it's not that I'm not happy personally but it's mainly for the players. When I wore this shirt it was the proudest moment of my career. There should be nothing above the French shirt for the players; perhaps that's not always been the case but they're now very aware of what they can give to people when they're wearing this shirt for."

"We haven't had easy games. Germany were the best side [we've played]; we did what we needed to today. Hugo Lloris was great, he was crucial today. Germany have a lot of technical ability, they move the ball very well and even though they were without a few players they had a lot of experience. We have a few players with a few caps but they gave everything and that's great for me as a coach."

(www.uefa.com)

twowheel
kpjf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twowheel wrote:
England man for man better than Portugal? Perhaps, but team...

When you look at England's players on paper they should do better. It's been like this for some time. Why? Anyway, next England manager? http://www.rte.ie/player/6c/show/apres-match-492/10593324/

Quote:

I was disappointed with Germany as well. Plenty of aggressive attacking offense, but just could never put one in. France's defense was excellent.

But the penalty completely changed it. I wonder if they hadn't scored that penalty because Germany were looking like the team that would win it before the 44th minute. Of course we could argue that Germany hadn't scored a goal with all that dominance, but the penalty changed everything.
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people I know are rooting for the French. Strange in some ways when you consider Portugal are the underdogs, the smaller nation, have never won a thing and France have the advantage of playing at home. Must be the Ronaldo Effect! Smile
Dr X

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, never ever under-estimate small nations. History of 2004 is not repeated in 2016.

Portugal won Euro2016, they are taking the trophy home.

The French are in tears.
twowheel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Continent is interesting.

A team that finished third in their group with three draws against three teams they should have beaten, and then a win in aet and a second win down to pens...I guess Portugal was resting up and saving themselves...looks like it paid off.

Sour grapes on my part, admitted, but I say Germany would have beaten Portugal in the final.

twowheel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: