Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA in Poland
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Master Shake

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If not spending an arm and a leg for decent food and grog makes me a backpacker, then so be it.

There're not only cheap and cheerful places, but also reasonably-priced, mid-market ones serving great food as well. You can get a very tasty curry / pizza / pasta / Thai meal / roast duck or even decent Mexican food for 25-50zl a plate.

I lived in Warsaw, as you're no doubt aware.

I take your point about how it's not as easy to find the better paying TEFL jobs outside of the Big Potato. But you're based in Poznan, so don't think your comments hold true for all the rest of Poland either.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

It is what it is: 50 pln/hour in a language school and 80-100 freelance. 100 hours a month makes you 5,000 gross or 10,000 gross minus tax and social security.

I've never met anyone who makes 10k a month teaching in Poland. (since 1995). Most I ever made was 7.5k net and a free flat in Warsaw. Getting that job was a total fluke and I literally worked 7 days a week.

This guy's going to arrive, do a CELTA and get a job at a language school with a missus in tow. That's a hard landing.

They'll struggle unless they have savings or the bank of mum and dad. Warsaw is full of work but it's also expensive. In most major places, the market is flooded and the Poles are excellent teachers these days.

Our local curry house is 35 for a main, 8 for the rice, 12 for the bread and 28 for the starter. The 3 Thai restaurants I've been to (Papaya in Warsaw, Thai Thai in Sopot and Whythai in Poznan) have all been expensive. Anyhow that's irrelevant. If you're making 5,000 Gross ie less than 4,000 net and your rent is 1300, you're left with very, very little on which to live let alone buy clothes, pay for medicine, fly home and join a gym.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
This guy's going to arrive, do a CELTA and get a job at a language school with a missus in tow. That's a hard landing.

Rolling Eyes
The OP won't be "towing" his wife behind him; she intends to teach as well whether in Poland, Czech Republic, wherever.
chuckMC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But why would they want to work in Poland? They are probably in the 30's now. There's no money in Poland. Why can't they get serious and get a REAL teacher license in the US, instead of a entry level CELTA, either back home or online (i.e. TeacherReady program)? With a professional teaching license they can find better paying jobs.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckMC wrote:
But why would they want to work in Poland? They are probably in the 30's now. There's no money in Poland. Why can't they get serious and get a REAL teacher license in the US, instead of a entry level CELTA, either back home or online (i.e. TeacherReady program)? With a professional teaching license they can find better paying jobs.
Totally true, that. That's basically what I'm doing now.

There are many programs in the US now that will pay for part or all of your master's in education and your teaching license, provided you agree to teach in low income schools in the US for a few years afterwards.

CELTA is obviously a much, much shorter (5 week) time commitment.

You really need to be sure that teaching is your thing before you embark on a licensure program. CELTA is great way to try it out.

P.S. The OP never said whether he would be supporting his wife or not, so let's not jump to conclusions.
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckMC wrote:
There's no money in Poland.

I've always disagreed with this, and will continue to do so. There's a shed-load of money in Poland - it's just a question of tapping into it.

How do you tap into it:
1) do the hard graft - this inevitably means doing 3-4 years for schools learning your trade, learning your market (specific to Poland), and getting contacts.
2) Be entrepreneurial. You have to work for yourself. Working for a school will only benefit the school owner.
3) Be prepared to take the knocks and come back fighting.
4) Learn your market and offer something new.

Not easy, but doable over time, and it's quite possible to clear 10k if you want to.
sparks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10k isn't that much in Warsaw nowadays. To being doing "well" in the quagmire of TEFL Poland 12-15 is a better marker. Of course, the more the better but this requires having others work for you.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparks wrote:
10k isn't that much in Warsaw nowadays. To being doing "well" in the quagmire of TEFL Poland 12-15 is a better marker. Of course, the more the better but this requires having others work for you.
Are you talking net or gross? 10k/mo. gross of company income is a very different thing from 10k net.

10/mo. net is a very comfortable living wage for a single person in Poland in any city. Raising a family on 10/mo. net is perfectly feasible as well. It may not be the American Dream of big house in the 'burbs with 2 cars in the garage, but you'd get by just fine.

I didn't meet any teachers in Warsaw who consistently made more than 10k/mo.. Even working 30hr weeks at 100zl/hr would have you making about 9k net. Like you said, sparks, maybe it's possible if you start farming out work to other teachers (and are very good at it). But that's a whole other ball game from 'just' teaching TEFL.
chuckMC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who would aspire to work in Poland to make only $2,500 a month? My goodness, if you have the skill and ability to achieve such a high income by polish standards, than you should be using those same skills and ability in countries that offer more money. Why not Germany?

Again, Poland is only a good option if you are a womanizer and/or a drunk.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:19 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

If we stopped 100 EFL teachers at random in Poland, 95 of them would be earning less than 5k gross.

As the man said;'30 hours a weekat 100/hours is 12,000 minus tax and NI/Zus payments ie around 9k.'

While that is a great salary for Poland and just about doable, 30 hours/week in different locations, often starting early and finishing late, is not a lifestyle choice you'll enjoy as you get older. Employing others to do it makes a lot of sense. however, as I've repeated ad nauseam, it's a tough call outside Warsaw.
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckMC wrote:
Who would aspire to work in Poland to make only $2,500 a month?

dragonpiwo wrote:
if we stopped 100 EFL teachers at random in Poland, 95 of them would be earning less than 5k gross.

We're never going to see eye-to-eye on this one, so I don't expect a damascene conversion, but I can't understand the thinking or justification for these two sentences. What are you? Imperialists who think they have the right to fortune because you happen to be living in Poland? Get over yourselves.

From http://www.bankier.pl/wiadomosc/4-5-Polakow-zarabia-mniej-niz-3549-zl-netto-7228674.html this article (and I'm taking it at face value & its 12/2014 figures) it says only 20% of Poles make it past 5000 zl pcm. Only 19,000 poles earn more than 16k zl. Read that again 19 thousand people from 40-odd million earn more than 16k.

It puts into perspective what you're 'demanding' of the trade as giving you a minimum comfortable safety net. The TEFL industry owes you nothing and yet you write as if it does in terms of the money you should be earning.
The TEFL industry is like every other industry in Poland. You start work, you work hard, you learn your trade, you take a few risks and you get successful.

chuckMC wrote:
Who would aspire to work in Poland to make only $2,500 a month?

Answer: more than 90% of Poles have to live in their own country (who would have thunk it eh?) and most aspire to earn more than 1250 USD pcm.

Let me correct this for you:
dragonpiwo wrote:
if we stopped 100 Polish people at random in Poland, 95 of them would be earning less than 5k gross.

Your arguments are glib, ill-thought out arguments. You say it as if just anyone can pick up sticks and bugger off elsewhere re:TEFL earnings elsewhere (and we've had the discussion about TEFL earnings elsewhere and the small fraction of places - which are hardly everyone's cup of tea / representative - where you can earn more). Your arguments ignore, as I've tried to point out above, the realities of a TEFL wage in light of the wages of Poles.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckMC wrote:

and chuckMC wrote:
Who would aspire to work in Poland to make only $2,500 a month? My goodness, if you have the skill and ability to achieve such a high income by polish standards, than you should be using those same skills and ability in countries that offer more money. Why not Germany?

Again, Poland is only a good option if you are a womanizer and/or a drunk.

Geez, give it a rest, dude. You sound like a broken record. Rolling Eyes

You started that thread Why do people think Teaching ESL is too easy? to whine about how your friends and family "pity for me being a lowly ESL teacher." I suggest you not obsess about others' intentions but instead focus on improving your own TEFL "image."
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: re Simon Reply with quote

From http://www.bankier.pl/wiadomosc/4-5-Polakow-zarabia-mniej-niz-3549-zl-netto-7228674.html this article (and I'm taking it at face value & its 12/2014 figures) it says only 20% of Poles make it past 5000 zl pcm.

So if you stopped 100 POLISH people (you changed my words), 20 would be making 5k or more. Maths not your forte?

I make 30,000 a month plus bens like food and housing in the UAE. I don't need lectures on working hard. EFL owes me nothing you are right but I object to people suggesting 10k is the new norm. It patently isn't. I know dozens and dozens of EFL teachers/lecturers who supplement with writing and translation and none of them, NOT 1 of them makes 10k gross and I know them all across Poland and have done for the past 20 odd years.

I don't know anyone who can teach 40 contact hours a week effectively, running from A to B for 12 months of the year to make the sums Sparks is on about.

I'm not telling people to avoid Poland, I'm just telling them they will be skint as feck in all probabilities even if they work 'hard'.

So you can't stick that 'imperialist' tosh in your pipe. I'm not try to sell sand to Arabs, just telling it how it is.
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put my hands up - wasn't so careful at 6am in the morning, maths isn't my forte, much as your forte isn't being able to speak about Poland without blathering on about the UAE - which, as me, you and other people have discussed and hopefully agreed on by now, the UAE isn't even remotely relevant to the TEFL market in Poland - make more money elsewhere? Gosh, what a shock.

You're trying to tell it as it is? So am I - it's the same as anywhere else. Start off and then work hard. If you get lucky - and in a damn sight less than 20 years - it's because you've put in the hard graft.

TBH my beef wasn't so much with you, I'm sure if I were ever to cross paths with you, I'd quite like to sit down and have a beer. It was more with that Chucky fellow talking rubbish.
sparks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ten k I was talking about was gross, so, yeah, 12-15 to be pulling that net. I sort of agree with Dragon on this, you can't stay in Poland and keep thinking that making 5k a month is acceptable, you also need to think that if you have a couple of thousand extra zl. laying around at the end of each month, it's only about 500 dollars--not much to save considering our generation probably won't be able to rely on the gov't. I know the pay is better elsewhere but I like it here--usually, and am sort of making a go of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: