Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA in Poland
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a small point : it does depend on having the right management, but I took on a lot of marketing duties in my old job that were there for the taking because no-one else was doing them.

Just changed career and moved into a job dealing with international marketing - it's in a medium sized Polish company, and I'm responsible for everything targeted towards foreign clients. It might not be in teaching, but teaching opened the doors. I still do a little bit of teaching for the management, but it's a handful of hours a week and the other 35 is spent on the main job.

ChuckMC fails to mention that he was working as a Callan teacher in the worst school in Bielsko-Biała, and then couldn't find anything worthwhile in Wrocław because he simply wasn't qualified. Perhaps he should look at himself as the failure and not Poland, because as most of us know - working hard *will* get you somewhere in Poland.
wojbrian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can imagine that a 250pl meal goes something like this. Smile

Appetizers = 50
Meal for 2 = 100
10-15 beers = 100

I am a non drinker so I do not have the expense of drinking.

I never ever spent that much going out but I didn't mind living on the cheap.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

With a wife and son it doesn't break down like that.

3 starters 60, 3 mains 150, 3 waters or cokes 18, 3 coffees 21 and if we have a bottle of wine (my son is old enough) add another 100 at least.

Single life is way cheaper obviously. However, the 5k a month if your lucky salary for a new guy (more likely 4) is nothing once you remove 1500 for rent.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

It's going on holiday as a family or visiting the UK which really hurts! Also once you get married, the endless name day, birthdays and other holidays. Also, most teachers really struggle from July to November since schools are closed from mid June to Mid October and as I found out last year, private business lessons also cancel for longish periods several times a year. It's really hard to make a living in Poznan and have a normal life ie car, house, dog, nice meal out once a week, a few beers now and again and SOME SAVINGS.
sparks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SAVINGS issue is a big thing for the lifers, I believe. Unless you have something from back home or working somewhere else, your zloty savings ain't worth sh** considering that the 1100 you pay to ZUS every month will ensure you 800 zl a month in your old age, if by some magic it doesn't collapse in the meantime. Even putting away 2k zl. a month is only 500 dollars, not much.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: erm... Reply with quote

sparks wrote:
The SAVINGS issue is a big thing for the lifers, I believe. Unless you have something from back home or working somewhere else, your zloty savings ain't worth sh** considering that the 1100 you pay to ZUS every month will ensure you 800 zl a month in your old age, if by some magic it doesn't collapse in the meantime. Even putting away 2k zl. a month is only 500 dollars, not much.
Why are we converting into dollars out of the blue? If you're a lifer in Poland and pay into retirement in Poland, isn't it reasonable to assume you'll retire in Poland?

If a Swiss national moves to America, earns USD most of her working life, and then complains that 'it won't add up to much when I move back to Zuirch', she's clearly made a very poor life choice. You'd tell her, 'Why didn't you work in Switzerland if that's where you wanted to retire?'

Dragonpiwo, PM me the next time you want to go to a restaurant in Poland. I'll save you a small fortune (by Polish standards). Have you ever heard of http://www.ceneo.pl/ , https://okazik.pl/, or https://www.groupon.pl/?

4k/mo. doesn't look so grim when you can get 2 mains for 32zl at Giovanni Rubino (Italian place in Stare Miasto) in Warsaw.
sparks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dollars are the reserve currency and a good way to judge your earnings. I shudder to think where the zloty will be in 30 years time. Best to convert to dollars or pounds, currencies with a history of not being shite.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: earning zloty Reply with quote

Where the zloty will be in 30 years is anyone's guess. Nothing too volatile predicted in the next 12 months at least. http://www.tradingeconomics.com/poland/currency/forecast

Aside from the Middle East, there aren't many countries where you can earn a good salary in terms of USD or GBP teaching EFL. Korea and Japan used to pay great, but those days are pretty much gone.

So I don't think Poland is significantly grimmer for TEFLers than any other country. If your aim is to save up money for retirement, you're best off avoiding TEFL altogether, or learning to live like the locals do (e.g. no 250zl dinners, cheap vacations to Greece or Eastern Europe, use public transportation, etc.).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: