Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Best Full-Time TESL Prospects for 2016 and beyond

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: The Best Full-Time TESL Prospects for 2016 and beyond Reply with quote

The National Center for Education Statistics' latest report shows that for 2013-2014, ELLs comprised 9.3% of the student population in public schools in the US compared to lower % in prior years and suggests a continued increase for 2016 and beyond. The attached link also contains a map showing the % of ELLs by state.

http://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator_cgf.asp

Currently, TESL seems to be a more lucrative FULL-TIME career in public school than community colleges and universities where the majority of instructors are adjuncts (and those part-time jobs are on the downswing in many universities that have depended on government-funded international students, e.g., from KSA, in which tuition rates are 3x the in-state rate and represents a significant financial loss).

To teach ESL in public school, requirements often include a B.Ed. or M.Ed. with ESL endorsement, Praxis, and state teaching license. Some TESLers who pursued the MA/Applied Linguistics or MA/TESOL route in the College of Arts & Sciences may teach on a probationary basis while completing required education courses and Praxis to obtain licensure (varies by state).

I fell into this latter category (over 15 years ago) and submitted transcripts to the DOE's endorsement division for evaluation. Fortunately, since I had taken several Education courses during my B.S. and M.A.s, I only had to pursue one 3-cr. course for state licensure ("post-MA to teach ESL K-12") which I completed online. Perhaps those of you aspiring to switch to p.s. teaching will be as lucky.

Best wishes,

PS
mitsui

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the state. Arizona sounds like that. I took one online class.

I think Oregon has ongoing professional development after certification expires.
madhatter109

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Best Full-Time TESL Prospects for 2016 and beyond Reply with quote

Nice post, Peripatetic Soul!

I'm one of those people. I got my MA about a year ago for the distinct purpose of teaching at university and avoiding public schools. I had been teaching for years in private schools for adults and always vowed that I would never ever enter the public school teaching arena. I went to get my MA so that I could teach at universities, but now those jobs have disappeared (like you said, KSA had a lot to do with that). It's a bummer. There are so many public school job advertisements though. TONS. For those Masters of TESOL who are willing to go back to school and spend more money on tests to get licensed just so they can enter the American public school system, all the power to you. I remember being a student in public school and how horrible the teachers' lives were. I just don't think I could stomach it at this point in my life.
RedLightning

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Best Full-Time TESL Prospects for 2016 and beyond Reply with quote

madhatter109 wrote:
I remember being a student in public school and how horrible the teachers' lives were. I just don't think I could stomach it at this point in my life.

Aside from that, your salary of 50k/year becomes 15k after taxes, housing, and transportation.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madhatter109 wrote:
For those Masters of TESOL who are willing to go back to school and spend more money on tests to get licensed just so they can enter the American public school system, all the power to you. I remember being a student in public school and how horrible the teachers' lives were. I just don't think I could stomach it at this point in my life.

Did you see Adult education: an alternative to teaching k-12?
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: The Best Full-Time TESL Prospects for 2016 and beyond Reply with quote

Dear Madhatter,

I hear ya. I only lasted 8 years in public school (teaching m.s. and h.s. ESL). The kids were great in general but it was the adminsuits who kept dumping more and more work on us with little or no remuneration. Now, also, health insurance, retirement and other perks have been considerably shaved. Still, for those who have families and need benefits, it beats piecing together several adjunct positions and not knowing from one semester to the next if one will even have a class to teach. I'm no longer in that category but I empathize with all the young TESLERs out there who are realizing there are very few FULL-TIME jobs at the tertiary level and the once cushy EFL prospects are on a precipitous decline as well.
Best wishes,
PS
madhatter109

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
madhatter109 wrote:
For those Masters of TESOL who are willing to go back to school and spend more money on tests to get licensed just so they can enter the American public school system, all the power to you. I remember being a student in public school and how horrible the teachers' lives were. I just don't think I could stomach it at this point in my life.

Did you see Adult education: an alternative to teaching k-12?

Hi Nomad,

Yeah, thanks for posting that info. That is certainly something to look into! I think I would enjoy teaching GED and adult Ed, my only worry is that they would contain subjects that I haven't even looked at for years and years. It's something to certainly look into though. Thanks for posting it.
mitsui

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At what age do you think it is too late to work at a public school?
I am weighing the pay and other things, by comparing the US to Japan.
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: The Best Full-Time Prospects for 2016 and Beyond Reply with quote

Mitsui,
Sent you PM.

PS
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: The Best Full-Time Prospects for 2016 and Beyond Reply with quote

Public school is not for the faint-hearted and is imperative to possess strong classroom management skills. Students today are quite tech savvy so possessing those skills is another plus. The name of the game is to entertain in order to educate.

"Keep them busy and you'll keep them out of trouble."

As I have said, though, I only lasted about 8 years and returned to college ESL.

PS
timothypfox

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make a decent salary in public schools in the US. The trick is to work in a state with a higher salary, and a state with a good teacher's union. I worked in NYC, and if you had a second master's degree, your salary got bumped up. If you can then migrate to the suburbs, I heard some places pay better than NYC. However, I lasted only 5 years before leaving to work in a private high school in Japan. In fact, the union clashes with the administration and pressures on teachers to take sides drove me out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: