Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Uni Teaching in HK for the Fall
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie123

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Uni Teaching in HK for the Fall Reply with quote

I am a highly experienced EFL instructor. I am looking to work at a university in HK or close by. Can someone please give me any leads? I guess they don't post on Dave's. I would also be interested in other good, non-uni jobs. Thanks.
Kowloon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The job section of the south china morning post is a popular place to look for work. Browse by Education/Training. Would you be willing to work High School? Seems to be a lot of SNET scheme jobs about this year and it can be very lucrative if you have the right qualifications.

http://www.cpjobs.com/hk/

I see on the very first page they have a position at the CUHK Campus in Shenzhen! Smile
Charlie123

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will check the South China Post. CUHK hass been advertising broadly and it is likely they have received hundreds of resumes (including mine). I'll hope for the best.
Charlie123

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice that a lot of the teaching job posts in HK ask for expected salary. How much would be fair to ask for a position like this?

http://www.cpjobs.com/hk/job/teacher-of-english-us-test-preparation-english-literature-history-ref-cp0611et16-1533900
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie123 wrote:
I notice that a lot of the teaching job posts in HK ask for expected salary. How much would be fair to ask for a position like this?

Oddly, that ad also states: "Salary will commensurate with qualification and experience."
Charlie123

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally avoid responding to ads that require salary expectations. However, a lot of ads in Hong Kong ask and if I pass them over for that reason there is a greater chance that I will miss one.

nomad soul wrote:
Charlie123 wrote:

Oddly, that ad also states: "Salary will commensurate with qualification and experience."
Jmbf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie123 wrote:

http://www.cpjobs.com/hk/job/teacher-of-english-us-test-preparation-english-literature-history-ref-cp0611et16-1533900

In general when asked for salary it's best to state the market rate (or slightly above). Use websites such as glassdoor or payscale to get an idea.
Charlie123

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easier said than done. Glassdoor won't publish without a subscription. Dave's is the best resource for this sort of info.

Jmbf wrote:
Charlie123 wrote:

In general when asked for salary it's best to state the market rate (or slightly above). Use websites such as glassdoor or payscale to get an idea.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie123 wrote:
Easier said than done. Glassdoor won't publish without a subscription. Dave's is the best resource for this sort of info.

Subscription to Glassdoor is free; I refer to it often and am presently seeing quite a few Hong Kong salaries. But so far you've only stated that you're a "highly-experienced EFL instructor." What are your specific qualifications?
Charlie123

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my online video CV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BRcrfyN6rk

nomad soul wrote:
Charlie123 wrote:

Subscription to Glassdoor is free; I refer to it often and am presently seeing quite a few Hong Kong salaries. But so far you've only stated that you're a "highly-experienced EFL instructor." What are your specific qualifications?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me guess... that stupid kiddie fruit video (again). Rolling Eyes
You asked about salary expectations; I'm sure you can figure out your "worth" on your own.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie123 wrote:
Here is my online video CV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BRcrfyN6rk

Haha!
Kowloon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will state some of the salaries I know, perhaps it might help a bit (all figures are monthly)!

EDB NET Scheme for Primary/Secondary (45-75/85k HKD including the housing allowance). They are always revising the salary and conditions so I could be off on the exact upper figures.
http://www.edb.gov.hk/en/sch-admin/admin/about-sch-staff/net-scheme/remuneration-package.html

Vocational Training Council (Around 40k for a Lecturer position, includes shared housing but unsure if they will provide an allowance instead)
http://www.cpjobs.com/hk/job/native-speaking-english-teacher-net-1331409

DSS/Private Schools (I interviewed at a very reputable Private EMI school on the island offering a starting salary that included provided housing - however they will occasionally agree to give an allowance instead - and the package would have been equivalent to 45k a month. However I know of some teachers at DSS schools getting just 28k)

British Council (senior teachers get 39-45k)
https://jobs.britishcouncil.org/ViewVacancy.aspx?enc=mEgrBL4XQK0+ld8aNkwYmJ5m/2nIrOfF1Iom+dlOnX5Pi65YvKV2qSpFy3Zo8Mp7St/4jAKh0smisdL31x3Ljg==

If I were in your shoes I'd be asking for something in the region of 45-50 as a starter. Consider that the VTC pay 40+shared housing and they're hardly Harvard. If you then arrived and felt that you were being grossly underpaid you could always find something more suitable after a year or two.

FWIW as Hong Kong is a bit more rigid and stable than other parts of the TEFL world I don't think expected salary will make a massive difference. Well regulated public or semi-public institutions here will have available salary scales and I can't imagine it being like say the Middle East or South Korea where you could negotiate (or get scammed out of) massive differences. (all IMHO)

Edit: The job ad you posted is for NTK. I was under the impression they were little more than a glorified centre/academy. If you're genuinely well qualified I think you could find something better.
Charlie123

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Kowloon. I am much obliged to you for taking the trouble.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post Kowloon! I also think that the OP with his qualifications should aim for a 40K+ income range BUT bear in mind that the best teaching positions here usually require some local experience. As long as the overall package offered is reasonable (remember to consider teaching hours, location and other responsibilities) then I personally would be willing to take a position slightly under market rate in order to get my foot in the door and start building up my network of contacts. Once established your personal network will play a significant role in helping you to move up into better positions.

Good luck! I still believe HK has excellent opportunities for hard working and motivated teachers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: