Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Uni Teaching in HK for the Fall
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kowloon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I agree with the above. In fact they often really like it if you have the same local experience at the level you will be teaching. This time last year I was at a language centre applying for PNET positions and didn't get a sniff. However I did get a job as a non-EDB NET at a local Primary school and this year I was inundated with interview offers.

I appreciate that might seem obvious however there has been little change in my qualifications and the difference was zero last year to over a dozen this year.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah many people overlook the importance of local experience and contacts. Did you end up accepting / taking an EDB NET position?
Kowloon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply. Yes I was offered a position a few weeks back and accepted. Will start on the scheme in the coming academic year.
kpjf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Kowloon!
Kowloon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

It has been an exciting journey so far in HK. On the one hand it really taught me the importance of being able to demonstrate specific local experience in order to get the better positions. I would never have gotten on the NET scheme without my year as a non-EDB NET at a local Primary school.

On the other hand however I have learned not to undersell myself in the future. I took a position at a low level mom 'n' pop language centre last year as I was anxious to start earning money. In hindsight I could have waited and better positions would have opened up.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Kowloon! It's onwards and upwards (hopefully) for you from now on. Please do come back and update us on your experience going forward. I've heard that EDB NET positions vary widely from school to school, hope your school is one of the more 'progressive' ones.
Charlie123

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers and congrats. Thanks for the info.
Kowloon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both. Yes I will try and get on here and give the occasional update about how I'm getting on.

Likewise to you Charlie. If you end up getting the type of job you're looking for here in HK let us know! Best of luck.
Charlie123

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long does it take to get a work visa for a teaching job? Can it be expedited with $$$?
Jmbf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No working visa's can't be expedited with cash. If everything is in order, all docs submitted and nothing unusual about your application, it should be pretty quick. I've heard of visa's being processed in less than 4 weeks.
Kowloon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah my initial visa was processed in about 10 days. It was for a basic language centre job, I have a CELTA and I am from the UK.

When I changed employer a few months later confirmation took longer and they required more documents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: