Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Hard Is It To Get A Job In Bahrain?!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sabr505

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: How Hard Is It To Get A Job In Bahrain?! Reply with quote

Hello,

I hope this finds you all well. How difficult is it to get a job in Bahrain. My husband is working in Eastern Province. I am supposed to move to Bahrain next month.

I'm a native English speaker from US and I have an Associate degree with TESOL certificate.

How difficult is it to find employment in Bahrain with those qualifications?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't usually see TESOL positions posted for Bahrain, and those ads that do appear are at the university level and require a TESOL-related MA.

For work visa purposes you'd need, at minimum, a BA (likely related to TESOL). You didn't mention if you have any EFL teaching experience but employers are less likely to hire a newbie.

That said, once you get there, you'll be in a better position to see if there's potential employment with your qualifications. Berlitz and other private language schools would be a start. Assuming you're a trailing spouse (on your husband's visa), keep in mind you'd be considered a local hire if you do find jobs you're qualified for. That equates to mediocre pay as well as zero to limited benefits.
balqis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very hard, next to impossible.
teacherman73

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what age/grade you want to teach.

Your best bet would be as mentioned, one of the private language schools like Berlitz or ACEC. You might actually be overqualified for ACEC haha.

Other than that, an int'l school might hire you as an assistant. You'd have to inquire. Day care centers also hire native speakers. Maybe no visa.

Overall, the ESL/EFL scene here is very limited.

The other option is tell a uni that you have an MA or PhD in TESOL etc., and you are waiting for your original diploma to arrive, get it notarized, the embassy to verify it, the embassy needs another paper from your uni...etc., I know of at least two unis that let teachers teach for a whole year with no proof of qualifications.

Welcome to Saudi with beer, I mean Bahrain.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots o Chinese business ladies teaching English in Bahrain these days....and THEY are armed with degrees mostly in martial arts...not ESL!!! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Bahrain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: