Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gaining Experience

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nadjajhanelle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Gaining Experience Reply with quote

Hi all,

I recently completed my TEFL course at ITTO last October, and have been working with a company called Pricetalk since then, mostly because that was the school ITTO had set me up with and I wanted to start working right away.

However, I want more, and have gained interest in becoming a teacher in a more structured environment. I have applied to some international/private schools, but I am by no means confident about getting those jobs because they ask for at least two years of experience teaching, and I only have around six months or so. While it's possible for me to work at a language school and "gain experience" there, I don't believe it would be the kind of experience the international and private schools are looking for.

I have read through some threads here, and I see that there are 'upper' and 'lower' tier schools, and that the latter is more willing to hire teachers just starting out. Does anyone know of schools that are known for hiring new teachers? The location doesn't matter. I am just wondering if it is at all possible to work one's ways up the industry in this way, or if I am better off starting in my home country or something.

For information, I have a Bachelor of Science in Social Anthropology, and graduated last November. I have worked with high school kids before, but not in a formal classroom setting--more along the lines of conducting research, and giving presentations.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and you are free to PM if necessary.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're in that difficult phase of getting your foot in the door somewhere that will be able to offer the right experiences to climb the ladder. Now is absolutely the best time to be knocking on doors at bilingual schools to see who will hire you on. My advice is to just keep knocking until someone answers.

Sticking it out in ESL to adults at language institutes will rarely work to get you into the schools you want, as you suspect.

Be aware though that you have immigration issues to deal with...most of those second tier, starter schools aren't able to get you the work visa you'll need to stay...put that item near the top of your list as you start talking to schools.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
nadjajhanelle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
You're in that difficult phase of getting your foot in the door somewhere that will be able to offer the right experiences to climb the ladder. Now is absolutely the best time to be knocking on doors at bilingual schools to see who will hire you on. My advice is to just keep knocking until someone answers.

Sticking it out in ESL to adults at language institutes will rarely work to get you into the schools you want, as you suspect.

Be aware though that you have immigration issues to deal with...most of those second tier, starter schools aren't able to get you the work visa you'll need to stay...put that item near the top of your list as you start talking to schools.

Yeah, this is what I've been doing. When I wrote the original post, I was feeling a bit discouraged because I hadn't heard from any of the schools I interviewed with, but I just got an excellent job offer from CAP. Not a bad start, I'd say.

For anyone else reading this, don't give up or get bogged down. It is definitely possible to get your foot in the door if you work at it.

Thanks, Guy.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh good to hear...I visit CAP once or twice a year (was just there a few weeks back). Enjoy!

Just curious...did you reach out to them or they to you? I see you are on our website...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: