Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AirBnB rooms/apartments

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bahrainteech

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: AirBnB rooms/apartments Reply with quote

I looked at AirBnB rooms and apartments for rent in the Philippines and they are expensive. around £600+ per month. Why so expensive there? I know a philippino and she pays 2,700pesos per month for a room which is £40.
That is a big difference even though one;s a whole apartment and the other's a room only. How much do apartments cost to buy there then?
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: AirBnB rooms/apartments Reply with quote

bahrainteech wrote:
I looked at AirBnB rooms and apartments for rent in the Philippines and they are expensive. around £600+ per month. Why so expensive there? I know a philippino and she pays 2,700pesos per month for a room which is £40.
That is a big difference even though one;s a whole apartment and the other's a room only. How much do apartments cost to buy there then?

Due to restrictions on foreign ownership of real property.... LOTS, especially if you are looking at short term rentals like AirBnB .

That said... you can get a 25 year lease on a land plot and buy a nice freestanding, 2 bedroom house for about 2 million pesos (£30k) out in the province.

Rentals for other apartments are found on the ground... let your G/F do the negotiating.... the moment they see the white face the price goes up 10-fold.

Here are some samples of houses (~60 sq m) in the NCR for about 30k quid (with rental prices in the 200 quid range):
jimpellow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally have stayed away from AirBNB the last few years in my travels. It seems to attract increasing numbers of exploiters of the foreigner.

Like many countries, there are two sets of prices, with the foreigners never receiving the lower one - apple for apple.

As stated above, it is not uncommon for smart gringos to get a Filipino they trust to scope out interested properties and prices and then return with the local.

I also think they inherited from the Spanish a very macho ego towards pricing. A majority would rather let an apartment sit vacant at an inflated price, rather than rent it at a reasonable price.

I am of course generalizing, but I think some good understandings of what is at work.

I would suggest getting a short term place that fits your budget, and then ask around. Foreigners will often find you, even walking down the street. "Hey, don't I know you?" "I think you were asking me about apartments I had for rent." Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: