Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions about teaching English in the Middle East
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuckinusa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Questions about teaching English in the Middle East Reply with quote

I am in the process of completing a bachelors degree in "Teaching English as a second language" at a private college in my town. The program is very rigorous and challenging, but i'm learning a lot. The program also requires 6 months of student teaching at the end. After I graduate, I will have a license to teach ESL to kids in k-12 in the United States. My question is do you think this will be good enough to get jobs teaching English in the ME? Also, should I still get a CELTA even though i'm getting a bachelors degree in TESOL? Thanks in advance for your answers.
izmigari

Location: Rubbing shoulders with the 8-Ball in the top left pocket

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot about the CELTA...it's over-rated and, basically, replicates your practicum. If you're single, you should check into ISS or Search Associates rather than have to go through the rigors and ambiguity of ME employers.
stuckinusa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

izmigari wrote:
Forgot about the CELTA...it's over-rated and, basically, replicates your practicum. If you're single, you should check into ISS or Search Associates rather than have to go through the rigors and ambiguity of ME employers.

Oh ok, Do they have a lot of tesol jobs? And would I qualify with a bachelors in tesol? Thanks
izmigari

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuckinusa wrote:
izmigari wrote:

Oh ok, Do they have a lot of tesol jobs? And would I qualify with a bachelors in tesol? Thanks

They are major overseas ed job brokers and conduct arranged marriages between ALL disciplines and TRUE international schools. Don't squander your hard-earned and credentialed qualifications on an employer who probably won't appreciate your skills.

Start slow, start low. Be humble. Build your experience. Build your career. Don't stop your education, stay competitive. I wasn't as fortunate as you. I had the same credentials, but was in my 30's, newly-married & had a non-teaching spouse. I needed cash but quick, so entered the forge of "The Kingdom". I went about my career bas-ackwards, but, over the years, turned it around to a winning end.

You can't IMAGINE how much better off you'll be in the short and long-run if you're recruited on American soil where employers are held to standards.
stuckinusa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

izmigari wrote:
stuckinusa wrote:
izmigari wrote:

They are major overseas ed job brokers and conduct arranged marriages between ALL disciplines and TRUE international schools. Don't squander your hard-earned and credentialed qualifications on an employer who probably won't appreciate your skills.

Start slow, start low. Be humble. Build your experience. Build your career. Don't stop your education, stay competitive. I wasn't as fortunate as you. I had the same credentials, but was in my 30's, newly-married & had a non-teaching spouse. I needed cash but quick, so entered the forge of "The Kingdom". I went about my career bas-ackwards, but, over the years, turned it around to a winning end.

You can't IMAGINE how much better off you'll be in the short and long-run if you're recruited on American soil where employers are held to standards.

Thanks a lot, Do you have any more advice? Should I try to get certified to teach other subjects? If so, which subjects should I get certified in? Thanks.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might think about doing a TEFL cert at some point.. Some employers are a bit anal and ask for BA plus TEFL but usually for unrelated degrees. Actually, my Saudi employer asks for this and there is no mention about related or unrelated degrees.

I would just go for a cheap TEFL course though with your degree. A lot of the time you might not need this additional qualification..
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuckinusa wrote:
After I graduate, I will have a license to teach ESL to kids in k-12 in the United States. My question is do you think this will be good enough to get jobs teaching English in the ME? Also, should I still get a CELTA even though i'm getting a bachelors degree in TESOL?

Should I try to get certified to teach other subjects? If so, which subjects should I get certified in?

Since your focus is teaching k-12, look at current international school job postings in your target ME countries to get an idea of what employers require. Teach Away, Seek Teachers, and Footprints post ads for k-12 TESOL teachers in the region. And no, it won't benefit you to hold licensure in other subjects unless you plan to also complete additional degrees specific to those subjects.

As for doing a CELTA/TESOL cert, licensed k-12 ESOL teachers generally aren't required to have one especially since their degree program includes 1-2 semesters of supervised and assessed teaching practice.

That said, you'll very likely need 2-3 years' (paid) teaching experience under your belt. So plan on staying in the US to gain those first couple of years in a public, charter, or private int'l school if you expect to compete for international school positions in the Mid East.

Also be aware that the governments of Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and Kuwait will not accept degrees/credentials that entailed any online coursework. The UAE rejects teaching licenses completed via online but at some point, might also take the same action with degrees.
izmigari

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On second thought, listen to the other poster.

What the hell do I know.
stuckinusa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
stuckinusa wrote:
After I graduate, I will have a license to teach ESL to kids in k-12 in the United States. My question is do you think this will be good enough to get jobs teaching English in the ME? Also, should I still get a CELTA even though i'm getting a bachelors degree in TESOL?

Should I try to get certified to teach other subjects? If so, which subjects should I get certified in?

Since your focus is teaching k-12, look at current international school job postings in your target ME countries to get an idea of what employers require. Teach Away, Seek Teachers, and Footprints post ads for k-12 TESOL teachers in the region. And no, it won't benefit you to hold licensure in other subjects unless you plan to also complete additional degrees specific to those subjects.

As for doing a CELTA/TESOL cert, licensed k-12 ESOL teachers generally aren't required to have one especially since their degree program includes 1-2 semesters of supervised and assessed teaching practice.

That said, you'll very likely need 2-3 years' (paid) teaching experience under your belt. So plan on staying in the US to gain those first couple of years in a public, charter, or private int'l school if you expect to compete for international school positions in the Mid East.

Also be aware that the governments of Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and Kuwait will not accept degrees/credentials that entailed any online coursework. The UAE rejects teaching licenses completed via online but at some point, might also take the same action with degrees.

No worries about my degree being online because i'm going to a private college almost within walking distance of my apartment.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For True International Schools you will have to have 5 years experience in your home country. Anything other than a True International School will leave you stuck in a quagmire of dishonesty and increasingly low and worsening pay. When I was at an International teaching convention in Bangkok, Thailand; there was teachers there from International Schools in the Middle East with their trip paid for by the school for their professional advancement. I can guarantee you the teachers weren't from "International Schools", the type that are common and prevalent in Asia and in the Middle East.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:41 am    Post subject: Double certified Reply with quote

stuckinusa wrote:
Thanks a lot, Do you have any more advice? Should I try to get certified to teach other subjects? If so, which subjects should I get certified in? Thanks.

Honestly, if you are at all good with Math or Science, you could add enough courses in order to be double certified to teach in a STEM field and ESL; you would be more marketable. There is a lack of STEM teachers who can teach the subject in an engaging way, beyond their own rote lecture/regurgitate classes.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gulezar wrote:
stuckinusa wrote:

Honestly, if you are at all good with Math or Science, you could add enough courses in order to be double certified to teach in a STEM field and ESL; you would be more marketable. There is a lack of STEM teachers who can teach the subject in an engaging way, beyond their own rote lecture/regurgitate classes.

Regardless of which Mid East countries the OP plans to target, having additional licensure to teach math wouldn't be enough. His/her CV wouldn't get a second look compared to those applicants with a BA/MA in math, certification/licensure, and several years' experience teaching math in their home country --- the standard for the better western-curriculum schools. Plus, some American content teachers may also hold an ESOL endorsement.

Before plunking down more money and time for licensure in other subjects, the OP needs to look at current job ads for teachers of math, science, computers, etc., to get a realistic picture of what employers require. That said, no one can predict what the outlook for teachers will be like in the Mid East in the next 5+ years --- about the time the OP would expect to apply for jobs.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:09 am    Post subject: Advice Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Before plunking down more money and time for licensure in other subjects, the OP needs to look at current job ads for teachers of math, science, computers, etc., to get a realistic picture of what employers require. That said, no one can predict what the outlook for teachers will be like in the Mid East in the next 5+ years --- about the time the OP would expect to apply for jobs.

I got certified to teach K-12 in two subject areas and it did not cost me any more money to be duel-certified, than to have just my ESOL certification. If the poster is going to stay in the US for another 5 years, as has been advised to do in this forum, he or she may as well get duel-certification. Heck, duel-certification could help in the job search in the US, too.

It really depends on the poster's state and his/her interests beyond English and the job market in 5 years, doesn't it?

The Middle East has more than enough ESOL teachers at this point. Right now they are screaming for STEM, but who knows what will be in demand in 10 years.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I am correct for true International Schools the applicant would have to have an actual English degree to teach English. In International Schools, I think it would be the same with English as with all teachers in other subject matters. There are some schools that are not International Schools, some in Saudi Arabia that probably still accept TESOL degrees, but TESOL is a specialized education degree not a subject degree. The kind of market that likes those degrees could be drying up and it could easily become a red herring. I would be careful in relying on one of those degrees, especially for the future. Employers don't care how much time you've spent on a degree or how educated you are. Look at how far a CELTA or TEFL certificate will carry you nowadays, and those were perfectly good certificates. The certificates are now red herrings "Oh you have one of those, I see". That type of degree or certificate will become increasingly less and less useful as the crappy foreign schools more and more close down or rely on low cost foreign non-native teachers, just like you're going to see in Saudi Arabia very soon. Expect advertisements offering 5000 Saudi Riyals for Arab teachers, and possibly any Western teacher willing to accept it, popping up. "I told you before, the salary is 5000 Riyals", spoken in a nice haughty manner Laughing
Gulezar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Go STEM Reply with quote

http://www.thenational.ae/uae/education/foreign-teachers-in-big-demand-at-uae-schools

This article seems to support the idea that there is a shift towards an emphasis on STEM education in the UAE.

“But, in particular, we’re seeing an increase in demand for teachers who have a science, maths or technology background," he said.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: