Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

anyone got a 1 year visa after the recent change?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charvo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: anyone got a 1 year visa after the recent change? Reply with quote

Hi everyone. Has anyone here received a 1 year visa for US citizens? I'm not talking about 1 year visas for folks married to Vietnamese women. I'm referring to the recent change. I just got a visa renewal within the country and they gave me 3 months.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not a 1 year visa for marriage, it's a 5 year visa. Also the 1 year tourist visas have not come into law yet. Laws take awhile to go into effect even after they've been proposed and cleared.
Charvo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExpatLuke wrote:
There's not a 1 year visa for marriage, it's a 5 year visa. Also the 1 year tourist visas have not come into law yet. Laws take awhile to go into effect even after they've been proposed and cleared.

No. Actually, there is a 1 year visa for folks married to Vietnamese citizens.. I know someone who got one in Aug 2015. He works at a language center with me. I know of someone else who got a 3 year residency card because he has a Vietnamese wife.

As far as the 1 year visa for US citizens goes, I think that might be delayed until after the TPP gets ratified. I was just wondering if anyone actually got it. The US embassy sent out a monthly bulletin asking folks to email them if they got a visa that was not 1 year. I can't find the bulletin anymore, but I'm sure that was noted.
EFL4Life

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by EFL4Life on Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
TRH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExpatLuke wrote:
The so-called 5 year visa is a Certificate of Visa Exemption (VEC) which is theoretically for visiting relatives. In the case of most teachers your spouse is your sponsor although Viet Kieu can essentially self sponsor. It is strictly speaking not a visa but allows one to have a 6 month stamp on entry and 3 month renewals without leaving the country. There is disagreement over whether it can be combined with a work permit in all provinces but it seems possible at least in HCMC.

Charvo wrote:
No. Actually, there is a 1 year visa for folks married to Vietnamese citizens.. I know someone who got one in Aug 2015. He works at a language center with me. I know of someone else who got a 3 year residency card because he has a Vietnamese wife.
I have never heard of a 1 year marriage based document and have no comment either way. As far as the 3 years, this must be the Temporary Residence Card for spouses of Vietnamese citizens. This is a 3 year residency card which allows unlimited egress and reentry. and is similar to the Residency Card that can be obtained with a Work Permit. It is new, and for that reason, may not be available in all locations. So strictly speaking as EFL4Life wrote, there is no "marriage visa," but there are documents that serve in it's stead.

EFL4Life wrote:
Quote:
As far as the 1 year visa for US citizens goes, I think that might be delayed until after the TPP gets ratified.
VN and the US have not ratified TPP, and we should not assume it will happen 100%. Highly likely to be ratified (unfortunately) but it has not been done (yet).
EFL4Life: I am happy that you seem to have come around to my position while I have moved toward yours. Smile I did some checking on a US State Dept site and found that the TPP only requires reciprocity for business visas which makes sense since it is a business agreement. I also found, as you stated elsewhere, that the 1 year tourist visa was negotiated in separate but parallel negotiations. Reading the winds from half way across the pond, I have to think that ratification is possible but unlikely. It only needs 50 votes but several Democrats are against it and Republicans will vote against anything Obama is for. For 2017, Trump is dead set against it while Clinton says that she is. The only way I see passage is if a new President Clinton reneges on her campaign position, which of course is entirely possible. The Vietnamese have a lot to gain from the TPP but little to gain from the 1 year tourist visa. They are wise to play wait and see.

I can agree with the sentiment that agreements such as the TPP are not beneficial to most US residents, but US expats, including teachers, would directly or indirectly benefit from the trade boost that will follow.

Also, in theory nobody should be teaching on the one-year tourist visa but we all know how that goes.
EFL4Life

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: