Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

As Seeb International School
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
As it transpires that the OP has qualified teacher status in the UK + 3 years experience there, may I suggest seriously negotiating that salary upwards?

Seconded.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strategically, I would wait until the visa has been approved. Then, the employer has much more invested and would be keener to secure the OP.

The OP should have received a "letter of offer" in which basic salary, allowances, benefits and work conditions (hours of work, annual leave, sick leave) are clearly outlined.

Once the OP has arrived in the country, an employment contract will be offered. It may be rather different from what was in the letter of offer. This tactic is known as "bait and switch".

So, if the offer is now low, expect even less once you're here; especially if they take your passport off you for "processing". Basically, it's a trap.

I would be _very_ suspicious, if an employers is offering that little.
Firstly, it's not good to work for somebody _that_ stingy, as they will be miserly with other issues as well (work time, annual leave).
Secondly, who else will accept such rubbish conditions and why? These are your colleagues, which whom you will have to work day in, day out.

How will you feel when you find out that your colleagues are getting 1400 OMR, although they do the same work? Won't that grind you month after month when you are getting peanuts and living in relative poverty?

All in all, not a good offer.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting the issue of strategy and negotiations to the side, 1100 OMR, for a certified teacher with three years' relevant experience, is, IMHO, bordering on an insult. I'm studying towards a PGCE now and I'm not doing it in order to take a pay cut. If it was 1100 OMR plus decent fully-furnished accommodation, good health insurance, return flights and very generous holidays (i.e. three calendar months a year) then, arguably, that would be something to consider.

However, personally, Faizan, I'd recommend researching opportunities in Brunei. There was a long discussion in the below thread in case you are not aware of it:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=54068

But, if you really want to live in Oman, I think you should, based on what you've said, aim for better. Anyway, that's just my two cents and good luck no matter what you decide.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st Sgt Welsh
Thanks for the post! Brunei sounds very interesting indeed.

I did a bit more searching and found that the teaching salary of 3,500 - 5,500 Brunei Dollar per month (depending on qualification and experience) equates to about 995 - 1,560 Omani Rial per month. On top of it, Brunei offers free housing and paid flights home.
there's also an annual increment and a completion bonus.
Living costs (electricity, water, food, transportation) seem to be low/ equivalent to Oman.

Since accommodation is usually 25-30 % of the salary, that's another 1000 BD/280 OMR each month.

Financially, it's a much better preposition.
In terms of living environment: the climate is pleasant, the island of Borneo has amazing flora and fauna, and Indonesia & Malaysia are just a quick drive over the border.
Professionally: it can't be much worse than the Middle East.

Now, excuse me please as I'm off to compose my application.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever will be wrote:

Now, excuse me please as I'm off to compose my application.

Good luck!
Faizansaleem3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once the visa has been approved I'm going to look at negotiating a better salary as I've also done a bit of research and the average salary for a teacher there is 1271 OMR. I'm going to aim for 1400 OMR which I think is reasonable. Let's just hope it all doesn't fall through in the process.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: