Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Will Brexit Affect People Teaching in Spain, & EU?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JRJohn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: How Will Brexit Affect People Teaching in Spain, & EU? Reply with quote

A penny for your thoughts. How will brexit affect opportunities for ESL teachers in Europe?
First of all, I am gutted about Brexit. I liked the idea of being in the EU, preserving our national identities, but having a common market and a free movement of people, as well as certain worker's rights being guaranteed. That opened up new extensive horizons to me as a young adult. I became fluent in French and Spanish, which was a great help. I have taught EFL in the UK, but also in Poland, where I did actually learn a bit of Polish. I enjoyed teaching there.
One other thing I did was teach in Spain. (I am going to write about Spain, because I know Spain well, but I am thinking of other countries too). I am not sure I would advise teaching in Spain as a career path, because many academias aren't serious schools, and/or see us as very much a disposable item. Hours can be cut back when you most need them. Jobs can be lost fast, and maybe a new job comes up.(When I was in Madrid, there was maybe an over supply of UK teachers). However, teaching in Madrid allowed me to get a sense of what life was like in the Spanish capital. I made many, many friends. My Spanish got even better, and I had a lot of fun, especially at night!
The consensus was, in 2001, that as an EU citizen, I had the right to come and go at will. Employers did not need to get an expensive Permiso de trabajo. And I could in principle get a contract, and at least some social security coverage. Americans, Canadians, and so on, were in an entirely different situation. Even if an employer wanted to hire them legally, getting an TEFL type job legally was out of the question. Some employers would hire them illegally. So, US and Canadian teachers had to leave Spain every 3 months, get a stamp in their passport, and then come back. That was the case till 2009.
But now, Americans have to leave the country after 3 months, and NOT return for another 3 months! As I am sure you can see, that renders teaching impossible. Now employers will want American teachers' papers to be en regla.
Since Brexit is happening, will the EU make an example of us and treat us in the same way? There is still a big demand for native speakers/ English teachers in Spain. But if we get treated like the Americans, teaching there will be impossible, at least under normal circumstances.
What do you think? Will we be treated as Americans i.e. outside the EU and unable to teach?
The only exception would be those part time classroom assistants, who are allowed to come on a student visa. That's the only way Americans can teach in Spain. But there can be problems with late payment of salary, organisational issues, and the salary is less than 1000 euros per month! To qualify for the programme you must be under 30.
What do you think will happen to the English teaching industry in Spain, once we are out of he EU? I would be delighted to read your replies. Thank you.
What about teaching opportunities in Poland, where I was able to live quite comfortably? Are these going to dry up now? As I said, a penny for your thoughts. [/b]
sparks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, read the news...

There is a two year wait to figure it out, nothing will happen for a while. What the results of it all will be for basically everything is anybody's guess. You can still work in Poland if your school gets you a work permit, which they can.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the sky won't fall tomorrow. I reckon longer term there will be some tightening; as the UK slowly evicts workers from the continent, the continental countries will inevitably retaliate. I hope none of the outcomes will be so concrete as to completely bar UK citizens from jobs in all cases, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: