Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheapest Possible Quals

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaumiD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Cheapest Possible Quals Reply with quote

I would like to teach in Vietnam, and prefer to stay on the legal side of things.

I gather you need some sort of teaching certificate to get a work permit as an ESL teacher. How picky is that? Do they have standards beyond just taking the absolute cheapest junk online class?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't this question about TEFL certs adequately answered on your other related thread: On-Site TEFL/CELTA/Etc. in Vietnam?

Anyway, an online cheapo TEFL cert, unrelated BA, and zero experience aren't going to impress. Plus, you'll find it tough to compete against other job seekers who hold a CELTA/equivalent face-to-face TEFL cert.
skarper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we covered this well but very cheap unrecognized TEFL certs are a waste of time/money/effort. You won't learn a lot and they will not help you get a work permit. While the gov dept that issues WPs may not care the schools that go thru with the process certainly do know the difference...

I say nothing or put in the effort/time/money for the real deal = CELTA in Vietnam.

Though I suspect you might not pass/complete the course. Many do not...so maybe nothing and just be a backpacker teacher, cobble together a few hours and have a few laughs. Then move on to your next destination. You wouldn't be the first and arguably it is all most employers/students want anyway.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: re: Celta? Reply with quote

Celta/tefl is generally a joke anyways...I did a one month tefl course, with two teachers, and some students who were on it were PGCE qualified....all said it was a joke. I learned far more actually teaching in China than I ever did on that course. Much like you can't learn how to fish on dry land, you can't learn how to teach.......bit of a simplistic analogy, but no CELTA needed, not in Asia, and expensive as well!
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely agree.

It's all fine and dandy the trainer leading you through exercises you should try, getting you to decrease your TTT! And being OTT with saying things like 'TTT', but at the end of the day, nothing will prepare you for 40 rich Chinese kids who have no manners and don't wish to lose face, they'd much rather you stuck on a Justin Bieber concert CD and be done with it.
TRH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: re: Celta? Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:
Much like you can't learn how to fish on dry land, you can't learn how to teach.......bit of a simplistic analogy, but no CELTA needed, not in Asia, and expensive as well!
The first part of your statement is certainly true but as the CELTA has the most substantial classroom component of the courses generally available it is probably superior, unless one has years of regular classroom or TEFL experience. I say this as one who has a BEd but not a CELTA.

While your statement that a CELTA is not needed may be true in most of Asia, it is substantially incorrect with respect to Vietnam. It may or may not affect the quality of your subsequent performance but it is the certificate most respected by employers in Vietnam. In fact for some it could be the difference between getting that $22 job instead of the $16 one.

LarssonCrew wrote:
, but at the end of the day, nothing will prepare you for 40 rich Chinese kids who have no manners and don't wish to lose face, they'd much rather you stuck on a Justin Bieber concert CD and be done with it.
This may be true but we are talking about 20 rich Vietnamese kids. Having relocated to Hawaii, I should perhaps not be making this criticism but you and Spelunker came to the Vietnam forum seeking information on Vietnam. You then chose to imprint your wisdom as it relates to China to the situation in Vietnam.
kurtz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: re: Celta? Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:
Celta/tefl is generally a joke anyways...I did a one month tefl course, with two teachers, and some students who were on it were PGCE qualified....all said it was a joke. I learned far more actually teaching in China than I ever did on that course. Much like you can't learn how to fish on dry land, you can't learn how to teach.......bit of a simplistic analogy, but no CELTA needed, not in Asia, and expensive as well!

There is a long thread about this somewhere on this forum. It has been done to death.

Frankly, you sound like a cheap backpacker teacher.

CELTA is the best going around and is reasonably priced I think, but I am not some cheap backpacker living life on the edge.

The good jobs I had was due to my CELTA and experience.

I use certain things from the CELTA to this day.
DaumiD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skarper wrote:
While the gov dept that issues WPs may not care the schools that go thru with the process certainly do know the difference...

OK, but that's a yes? I can legally be a teacher with a junk cert, then get a better job here later on the basis of experience?

Quote:
Though I suspect you might not pass/complete the course.

That's the main problem, yes. I can still appeal to Cambridge, but I don't think my final grade will be overturned. I spent my savings coming here for the CELTA course and now I'm trying to work out the best backup plan for being able to feed myself.
skarper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think many people have managed to get WP if they only have the very cheapest certificates.

Some may have - it's a bit like the wild west here sometimes - but generally not at all likely you can work legally with a certificate that doesn't have 6 hours observed teaching and some name awareness.

The schools who can get you a work permit [few are far between and getting more so] know that only a CELTA has any merit [they even get confused by Trinity Cert TESOL which are equivalent and actually known by insiders to be better].

Even CELTAs can be iffy - there is massive variation between providers. The scheme is Cambridge verifies the course meets their specs but it is up to the course provider to actually run/teach them.

There is a huge amount of material to cover and many boxes to tick. They can seem ridiculous and certain bits should really be updated. Furthermore, many jobs just do not allow for TEFL methodology. Even the language mills that are among the better places to work usually have too many students in a class with too much variation in level, age and reasons to be there.

People looking at working 6 months to a year in TEFL and not intending to be around long enough can find work without a TEFL cert of any kind. But very seldom can they get a work permit.

This has really all been done and redone in older threads.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: re: debates about china and vietnam Reply with quote

Quote:
In fact for some it could be the difference between getting that $22 job instead of the $16 one.

Fair point, but not something I would lose sleep over, especially when the living cost in Vietnam is so cheap. That 6 dollars you seem so worried about, equates to nothing in London or New York. I'd rather earn less in vietnam, than earn less in either of those concrete jungles.

As for the accusation about backpacker teacher by the other OP, no dreadlocks, no tattoos, do have an israeli military issue backpack in a garage at my brothers house, and I only read the beach once. Don't smoke pot and have never been to thailand. When you assume, you make an "ass" out of "u" and "me" but I can only figure with your high qualifications and education, you know how the assume quote goes?
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: re: debates about china and vietnam Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:
Quote:
In fact for some it could be the difference between getting that $22 job instead of the $16 one.

Fair point, but not something I would lose sleep over, especially when the living cost in Vietnam is so cheap. That 6 dollars you seem so worried about, equates to nothing in London or New York. I'd rather earn less in vietnam, than earn less in either of those concrete jungles.

That's a bit ridiculous. That "$6" is huge in Vietnam. That's the difference between traveling multiple times a year or once a year. Also the difference between a nice $450 apartment and a awful $250 studio.
kurtz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: re: debates about china and vietnam Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:
Quote:

As for the accusation about backpacker teacher by the other OP, no dreadlocks, no tattoos, do have an israeli military issue backpack in a garage at my brothers house, and I only read the beach once. Don't smoke pot and have never been to thailand. When you assume, you make an "ass" out of "u" and "me" but I can only figure with your high qualifications and education, you know how the assume quote goes?

I will give you that one Very Happy

Still, thinking the CELTA is expensive and that it is useless in Asia are pretty poor comments. Even a decent mill will ask for a CELTA or Trinity Cert. Cheap TEFL certs are for the bia hoi brigade who try and network for some more hours with bleary eyes in the hope that they can get enough dong together to pay the rent.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: re: fair enough Reply with quote

I will apologize.

I was a bit despondent then, had just been turned down for a summer camp job.

Celta, tefl, or none at all....whatever skins the proverbial cat. Happy summer everyone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: