Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apax english and District 11

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hubris

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Apax english and District 11 Reply with quote

Hi guys,

So just had an interview with Apax english. The company itself seems solid and they offer pretty decent benefits.

Anyone worked for them before?

Also the 4 schools were I could be placed are in: D1, D3, D11 and Tan Binh.

Any thoughts on these as locations? I know D1 and D3 are more central but for a first time teacher are the other 2 locations too remote?

I know I should wait till I arrive until I start my job hunt, but It was good to speak to a school.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apax contacted me about this time last year. I had dropped off my resume a couple of months before and was no longer available so nothing came of it. They contacted me again about 6 months ago to ask if I knew anyone in Ha Noi.

Quote:
The company itself seems solid and they offer pretty decent benefits.

Yes, that was my general impression. They look very corporate and well-organized, and the correspondence I received from them was quite professional.

Quote:
Also the 4 schools were I could be placed are in: D1, D3, D11 and Tan Binh.

Any thoughts on these as locations? I know D1 and D3 are more central but for a first time teacher are the other 2 locations too remote?

All 4 of those districts are not very far apart and located in the midst of the heaviest traffic in the nation. Bring the highest quality mask/filter you can get your hands on. But, yes, D. 11 and Tan Binh mean somewhat longer travel time in the noise and pollution and sometimes rain.

If you are working in that area, it's not a bad idea to live in District 4 just across the river. District 7 is good too, but a little bit more of a commute.

Quote:
I know I should wait till I arrive until I start my job hunt, but It was good to speak to a school.

It won't be long before someone mentions "boots on the ground". Laughing Laughing Laughing

No, start your job hunt now. Correspond with any schools that look promising by e-mail, skype, chat apps, etc. so when you do arrive you have a number of good options and possibilities and the managers are already familiar with you, your background and what you have to offer. Of course, try to get as much information about the school and the position as possible and check out their websites, etc.
nomadic_meow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else worked with Apax? I don't see much else on these forums about them, but they are advertising again.

I found very mixed reviews here. Curiously, there seemed to be just enough recent more glowing ones to push the less happy ones from just a few months earlier onto the second page (could be coincidence, but I do wonder).
sigmoid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a glance through the reviews. Looks like the typical language school in SE Asia.

My guess is, if you check out the reviews for some other schools, you'll find very similar complaints. IMO, looking for a good language school in VN and the neighboring countries is like a search for the holy grail, or the philosopher's stone.

If you feel like living in VN, look for the least bad ones instead. Most folks play the field and work at several schools and drop one when it becomes too much trouble. Meanwhile, they look for other opportunities like Korean and Japanese private students, etc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: