Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching at UNSIS near Oaxaca City

View previous topic :: View next topic  
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Teaching at UNSIS near Oaxaca City Reply with quote

Hello,
Does anyone have experience teaching at UNSIS in Miahuatlan de Porfirio Diaz (about 2 hrs from Oaxaca City)? Is that in the boondocks? Anyone have more information on this institution and its location (things to do, transportation, etc.? Gracias.

PS
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if anyone else is going to answer, and I'm also not sure what I can tell you beyond what a Google search will. Maihuatlan is the largest community in the Sierra Sur region. As you know two hours from Oaxaca, which makes it pretty darn close as far as transportation in the state of Oaxaca goes. It is a transportation hub between Oaxaca City and the Pacific coast. So getting around is not a problem.

I looked up your past posts to try to see what information you might be looking for, and I think the biggest issue is that you understand this is a full-time job with set hours from 9-2 AND 4-7 for a total of 40 a week with 15-25 teaching hours so not a "semi-retirement" position.
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Teaching at UNSIS near Oaxaca City Reply with quote

Hello,
I certainly would not eliminate the opportunity to teach full-time although I am in a position where I could also accept an adjunct gig. I was mainly curious about the area with respect to cultural activities. It was a pleasant surprise to receive an email with an employment application and other attachments in response to my inquiry since many positions in Mexico, Central & S. America most often require one to be on the ground. In any case, based on a PM, UNSIS in Sierra Sur seems a bit too remote for me.

I loved the coffee, chocolate and unique cuisine of Oaxaca City! There are so many attractions to enjoy such as Mitla, Monte Alban, natural "lana" carpet weaving village in Teotitlan del Valle, etc.

Thank you again.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching at UNSIS near Oaxaca City Reply with quote

peripatetic_soul wrote:
Hello,
I certainly would not eliminate the opportunity to teach full-time although I am in a position where I could also accept an adjunct gig. I was mainly curious about the area with respect to cultural activities. It was a pleasant surprise to receive an email with an employment application and other attachments in response to my inquiry since many positions in Mexico, Central & S. America most often require one to be on the ground. In any case, based on a PM, UNSIS in Sierra Sur seems a bit too remote for me.

I loved the coffee, chocolate and unique cuisine of Oaxaca City! There are so many attractions to enjoy such as Mitla, Monte Alban, natural "lana" carpet weaving village in Teotitlan del Valle, etc.

Thank you again.

But, you might want to check the news if your plans are to visit Oaxaca any time soon. Not a good idea right now.
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Teaching at UNSIS near Oaxaca City Reply with quote

Thank you, BadBeagle,

Yes, I've read about the teacher protests and political unrest. While there in March during Holy Week and "spring break," our hotel was mostly occupied by the police force and I noticed a strong police and/or military presence in every main artery from San Felipe to the town center.

I won't be returning there soon but appreciate the heads up.

PS
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, this is business as usual in Oaxaca. The same photos and videos have been repeated so many times that it seems worse than it is, and not the kind of thing bystanders would get caught up in.

And for lurkers rather than the OP,
There are many places in Oaxaca that are remote, but Maihuatlan is not one of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: