Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Summer school NOT in contract

View previous topic :: View next topic  
delal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Summer school NOT in contract Reply with quote

A question about contracts here: I was told that mine is a "standard Milli Eğitim" one, but it says nothing about how many hours I'm contracted to work for per week for the salary agreed.
Also, the contract says nothing about having to work summer school, which is after the MEB school year finishes, so is it legal for the school to try and make us foreigners and 1 Turkish member of staff work at summer school for no extra pay? How do I find out?
Thanks in advance for any feedback
(I've also posted this on Facebook)
billy orr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the contract state anywhere how much annual leave you are entitled to? It may be limited to 30 days or even less in the first year of work. That way they may expect you to work as they require the rest of the time.
delal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Thx Reply with quote

Thanks for replying.
Trouble is, the contract says nothing at all. It's a complicated situation in which a gentleman's agreement is now being abused.
More fool us Shocked
Nebbich

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Turkey! The standard contract, with no specification, is actually limited to 30 hours per week. Was the contract in Turkish or English? Is Summer School is not specified, it's true that they may make you work up to the limit of the holiday period.
delal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's a 30 hr week, is there actually a specified amount of holiday that goes with that by any chance?
Nebbich

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there's a legal minimum holiday. 30 days, I believe...are you at a school or university? You could try the Istanbul Blacklist on Facebook for a more immediate response from many others.
Lev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he's saying the contract is a standard Milli Eğitim one, I'm guessing it's a school rather than uni? If so, not sure how that might differ from uni but...

AFAIK, there is no legal 30 day minimum holiday. For YOK at least, I believe we are bound by the standard Turkish labour laws - no entitlement in the first year, 14 days from 1-5 years, 20 from 5+ -15 and 26 thereafter (http://turkishlaborlaw.com/turkish-labor-law-no-4857/19-4857-labor-law-english-by-article#56)

You might find something re working hours there too, which should be applicable unless your contract states otherwise.

As far as summer school, I'd guess that falls within your contacted year of work (even if that's not part of the standard academic calendar), most places I know consider it so and therefore don't pay teachers extra for summer school.

Do you think HR would be any help in clearing up contractual issues? I know some places also have job descriptions (not always signed or even seen by employees) which can be binding...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: