Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching at a private university?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JasonAhlenius

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Teaching at a private university? Reply with quote

Greetings,

I'm an teacher with 2 MA degrees and experience teaching in the D.F. and university classes in the U.S. I'm planning to return to the D.F. this August, and am interested to hear others' experiences in getting work at private universities (Anahuac del Sur, Iberoamericana, Motolinía del Pedregal, etc). I'm especially interested in the flexibility and the teaching environment, which I understand to be less rigid and formal than private schools. I welcome general responses and specific answers to some questions:

1. Is there any way to get anything secured before arriving in the D.F., or do I just have to go knocking on doors?

2. Do these schools take on teachers with FMTs (or whatever the tourist visa is called since 2013), or is there some sort of formality expected with a Residente Temporal?

Thanks!
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching at a private university? Reply with quote

JasonAhlenius wrote:
Greetings,

I'm an teacher with 2 MA degrees and experience teaching in the D.F. and university classes in the U.S. I'm planning to return to the D.F. this August, and am interested to hear others' experiences in getting work at private universities (Anahuac del Sur, Iberoamericana, Motolinía del Pedregal, etc). I'm especially interested in the flexibility and the teaching environment, which I understand to be less rigid and formal than private schools. I welcome general responses and specific answers to some questions:

1. Is there any way to get anything secured before arriving in the D.F., or do I just have to go knocking on doors?

2. Do these schools take on teachers with FMTs (or whatever the tourist visa is called since 2013), or is there some sort of formality expected with a Residente Temporal?

Thanks!

For most, if not all, universities you will need a work visa. It is illegal to work on a tourist visa, sometthing that is widely ignored, but still carries some risk. You might want to check out Universidad Panamericana, they have a Saturday program that you might use to get your foot in the door. And, yes, you almost always have to be there to get a job. The one exception, that I know of, are the Uni's in the Oaxaca system. MotherF will be along with more information, I'm sure.
JasonAhlenius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then how does this work with the new immigration system? As I understand it, you need to be outside of the country in order to be approved for a Residente Temporal. Do I have to have a work-approved visa from another institution in order to work at a private university, or just leave the country once I get approved? It seems like there would be too many barriers in place to make working there worthwhile unless you already have a Residente Temporal.
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching at a private university? Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:

For most, if not all, universities you will need a work visa. It is illegal to work on a tourist visa, sometthing that is widely ignored, but still carries some risk. You might want to check out Universidad Panamericana, they have a Saturday program that you might use to get your foot in the door. And, yes, you almost always have to be there to get a job. The one exception, that I know of, are the Uni's in the Oaxaca system. MotherF will be along with more information, I'm sure.

Well, they are public unis, full time work, (not very flexible), and not in Mexico City. But if you want to know more about them, there are some openings for the fall.
JasonAhlenius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a private university that will help foreign teachers acquire documentation for the Residente Temporal?
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonAhlenius wrote:
Does anyone know of a private university that will help foreign teachers acquire documentation for the Residente Temporal?

The Uni's don't help you acquire the documentation you need, that is a requirement of Migracion, that is, your diplomas and certificates. Your employer would offer you a job and MIGHT have a lawyer help you with the paperwork. When I lived in Mexico City, I regularly took teachers to Migration to help them with the paperwork. For part time jobs most places already like you to have a Resident visa, at least where I worked, we did, and would give priority to those people. These are only very general comments. What is your background and education?
JasonAhlenius

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks BadBeagleBad. I currently hold two masters degrees in Spanish and English literature, experience teaching university language classes, and business English in the D.F. I'm not so worried about my qualifications as much as how to get the visa in the first place for a part time position.

A friend currently living in the D.F. has connected me with his immigration lawyer, who works independently. I'm willing to forward the money for the immigration lawyer, but then what does the university need to provide to get the Residente Temporal? Do I just need the job offer letter from the uni then?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the lawyer doing for you exactly or is he working for the school too?

The school needs to file a job offer to immigration. They'll want at minimum your passport, name, DOB, and nationality. They may also want your degrees (though this isn't often asked for by immigration, strangely).

While not on your checklist of things to do, the school also has to be registered already with immigration for such sponsorship and have their taxes up to date and paid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JasonAhlenius

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I'm working on those.

The lawyer is working independently of the school, and I would hire her directly to basically navigate the labyrinthine immigration process. The issue right now is that several of the private schools have said they don't help with the process of applying for the visa. I don't know if getting my own lawyer would remove that reluctance.
MotherF

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonAhlenius wrote:

The lawyer is working independently of the school, and I would hire her directly to basically navigate the labyrinthine immigration process. The issue right now is that several of the private schools have said they don't help with the process of applying for the visa. I don't know if getting my own lawyer would remove that reluctance.

I doubt it. If they don't want to help it probably means that they aren't registered which may mean that the don't have their taxes in order.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
labyrinthine immigration process

I find it quite straightforward actually, from my point of view as both an employer and a foreigner. The bottleneck these days are the schools.

Quote:
I doubt it. If they don't want to help it probably means that they aren't registered which may mean that the don't have their taxes in order.

Yep.

And by that, there is nothing a lawyer can do to help you until you have an offer. There is no independent way into a work visa, save for unlikely scenarios such as marriage to a Mexican or refugee status. Perhaps fleeing civil unrest in the US might qualify these days though... Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JasonAhlenius

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, well that at least helps me to narrow down the problem to the universities. Does anyone know of a private university that is willing to provide visa sponsorship? Even the UNAM and Anahuac del Sur have said they don't help with the documentation process.
notamiss

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they say only that they don’t help with the documentation process, or that they are unable to sponsor you?
If they have authorization from INM to hire foreigners, all you need from them is the sponsorship letter, and you can manage the visa process without their help. (Or the lawyer can help you.) As Guy said above, it is not that hard.
JasonAhlenius

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like they do not have the proper registration with INM to do so: "No estamos autorizados a realizar ese trámite."
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonAhlenius wrote:

It's actually not a labyrinthine process, haha. I used to take teachers for my school in Mexico City to Migration all the time and I am not a lawyer (I never played one on TV either) and have never been through the process myself as I am a Mexican national. You do need to be able to speak Spanish and be polite, I found that being polite and grateful gets you further than anything else. If you can follow instructions you can likely do it yourself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: