Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

20 Lecturers Sacked in Ibri
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: 20 Lecturers Sacked in Ibri Reply with quote

No less than 20 English Lecturers employed through Hawthorn sacked at CAS Ibri end June with just 1 day notice given. Hawthorn apparently didn't get their contract renewed. Only 10 Ministry teachers remain to teach in the next academic year starting September 2016.

Due to low oil prices the Ministry can't rehire any of the sacked teachers nor will or can Hawthorn give teachers a letter of no objection needed for re-employment within Oman.

Anything similar happening at the 5 other Colleges of Applied Sciences in Oman?
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems contrary to the current recruitment efforts:

CECN is looking for English Language Teachers to start August 28, 2016.
The advertisement on this board was placed on Monday, 4 July 2016.

TATI is looking for 8 teachers, again the advertisement is placed at Dave's.
Look under Thursday, 30 June 2016.

I feel sorry for the teachers in Ibri, the sacked staff will have to find an alternative in a hurry; remaining staff will have a very hard year in front of them.
grogster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

talked to one teacher here in Ibri who hasn't heard a thing about it but am told another teacher has had to return from summer vacation to clear out.
Roses189

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know every Hawthorne employee received the same letter. We take it that according to the contract Hawthorne must give 60 days notice of non-renewal of contract. As Hawthorne have not yet been given the final approval for the extension of their 3 year contract they had no choice in the matter. They said they would contact teachers as soon as they knew more but meanwhile they would be paying out gratuities etc as is the normal case when a contract ends. Most assume they will be re-signed once the approval comes through. Apparently this is similar to what happened 3 years ago when Hawthorne's contract was extended by the ministry. Nobody I know has heard it's because of budget cuts. We can only wait and see...
madrileno

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: 20 Lecturers Sacked in Ibri Reply with quote

flow wrote:

From what I've heard from acquaintances at the Applied Science here in Salalah, teachers had, for the most part, been seeing this coming since a while back and made appropriate plans. A similar large number of teachers have gotten the axe, but had planned accordingly to cushion the blow from sudden unemployment. Many of these teachers are on vacation now, but are returning in September to pack up, and sell off the things they don't want to keep.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: 20 Lecturers Sacked in Ibri Reply with quote

madrileno wrote:
flow wrote:

From what I've heard from acquaintances at the Applied Science here in Salalah, teachers had, for the most part, been seeing this coming since a while back and made appropriate plans. A similar large number of teachers have gotten the axe, but had planned accordingly to cushion the blow from sudden unemployment. Many of these teachers are on vacation now, but are returning in September to pack up, and sell off the things they don't want to keep.

Pretty much. All the teachers and coordinators who were over sixty got shown the door, along with a few others.

The talk around the water cooler about which company was going to win the tender went on for months and months at the Salalah CAS, and, I'm sure, many others around the country. The tender process started early this year, but, the Ministry really should have begun mid-to-late last year so that the matter could have been finalized well before the contract renewals came up. However, that's just the Gulf for you, I guess. Anyway, we were informed a few months ago that Hawthorn had won the tender and the rest was just a formality. However, literally just before the holidays, staff were then told that the tender board haven't signed off on the deal yet and it's unfolded like Roses189 has said. Personally, I don't blame Hawthorn for any of this and it seems more a case of bureaucratic incompetence/lethargy. I've moved on, as planned, anyway, but, having said that I still have many friends from Salalah who are, understandably, very anxious about what's going to happen and I, for one, really hope things work themselves out soon.
Roses189

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawthorne was officially told today that they didn't get the contract. No NOCs will be issued. Looks like CECNE might just have that contract.
Tazz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So people that have worked all year -from September to late June without a break at all during this time, remember hawthorn put a block on that this year, find out during their vacation time in July that they no longer have a job for the next academic year starting September?!!! And, to top it all, there's no possibility of an NOC-meaning they have to pack up and leave! Who's to blame....? Ministry, recruiter....who knows? Ultimately this is totally disrespectful and unacceptable treatment of the staff. New hires of CECNE beware, teachers are regarded and treated as little more than disposable servants by these MOM and MOHE Colleges.
Roses189

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only that. Hawthorne will deduct the payment for the return airfare given with the holiday pay from the final payment. Just another parting blow for teachers who went on holiday happily after being assured verbally over and over again that Hawthorne had indeed won the contract.
Roses189

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone affected by this from any college please PM me. We have a group discussion going and people still in Oman are doing what they can to get advice and help to try to turn this around.
David S

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bb

Last edited by David S on Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
David S

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:27 am    Post subject: Oman Ibri Reply with quote

Regarding the CECNE advert on eslcafe (Jul 4): that would appear to be for Colleges of Technology, judging from the salary figures.
Tazz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they, Al Nawa, are gradually chipping away at the salary + benefits....total deal worth less than a 1000 monthly now! Crying or Very sad
flow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

865 OR aint much. I know from experience as I had a car the whole time I was in Ibri. Again, I can't repeat this enough AVOID CAS Ibri. There's a new HOD, totally useless who doesn't give a hoot about the teachers. She's incompetent, nasty, disrespectful and very unprofessional. We received several rude childish emails from her regularly during our time there. I am glad I left in March before the sh*t hit the fan. Apparently she never told anyone about the planned sacking of all the teachers with a day's notice even though she knew that it was likely to happen. In fact a former colleague of mine told me she went on holiday just a few days before end June, just a couple of days before teachers were told by Hawthorn through email that they won't be asked back.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Man salaries are really low now...I was earning OR 1,475 monthly total monthly package teaching in Ibri for three years....I left Ibri due to the haunting spirits and ghastly ghosts and goblins that were resting in the cemetery below my apartment...the Ibri Hotel waterhole was my only comfort during my stay there in Oh Man Shocked Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: