Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Degree authentication
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Degree authentication Reply with quote

Right ... I've been asked to get my degree cert authenticated.

Trouble is, neither the university in China nor the Chinese embassy in the UK nor anybody else for that matter, seems to be clear on what has to be done and by whom.

This Z visa thing is a major pain in the posterior Crying or Very sad

I am British. I am in Vietnam. Can I get it done here or are they expecting me to fly back to London?!
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sent mine to an agency in the UK, 161 quid later and I had a stamp from the FCO and from the Chinese embassy itself.
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarssonCrew wrote:
I just sent mine to an agency in the UK, 161 quid later and I had a stamp from the FCO and from the Chinese embassy itself.

I've sent you a PM.
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarssonCrew wrote:

I've sent you another one ...
Jenster85

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I have a similar query about having my degree notarised/legalised. I am Irish and living in the UK and am unable to travel back to Ireland to take care of this. Well I'm not completely unable, but it will be costly and I imagine it should be unnecessary. I just can't seem to get the right information I need.

Does anyone know if it is possible to have foreign documents notarised in the UK, through any UK agency(FCO is for UK documents only). I just got off the phone with a notary in Ireland who informed me I would have to physically go to her office in order to get it. A local notary near me in the UK didn't know anything about having Irish documents notarised.

I can have it notarised in Ireland through the Minstry of Foreign affairs (it seems) but a guy in the Chinese Embassy in London told me they wouldn't be able to legalise it. That would have to be done in Dublin. Given his hesitation and the tone of his answer I genuinely don't think he knew so I'm not convinced.

I'm sorry for babbling on. I'm really just so confused but I am guessing there is an easy solution out there. I've spent three afternoons sitting on the phone to various people and online and no solution yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime I'll keep calling agencies in the UK to see if they can help!
Spelunker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: re: right and right.... Reply with quote

Quote:
This Z visa thing is a major pain in the posterior Crying or Very sad

I am British. I am in Vietnam. Can I get it done here or are they expecting me to fly back to London?!

This is why I had to turn down a job offer in Saudi Arabia, and now it seems China is just as nuts in terms of requirements to get a visa. It used to be a whole lot simpler, used to be, but not now.

I'd expect to have to return to the UK, you may well have to get everything seen by and stamped from an official at the chinese consulate there, then head back when you have the Z visa. Good luck, sp
jaybet3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what the rules are in other countries, but here's my recent experience. I am American living in Indonesia so flying back to have docs authenticated and visas done is not practical.

I used an agency based in Washington, D.C. (Capitol of USA).

First, they got my diploma authenticated and stamped by the Chinese consulate. Now they are processing my Z visa.

My advice is to use an agency in the Capitol city of your home country.

These agencies usually have a working business relationship with the government agencies which makes the process smoother. If there is a problem, the agency can usually work it out.

Also, getting stamps from the "big boys" in government is much better than some other smaller city since all the other consulates refer to the main embassy.
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaybet3 wrote:
I don't know what the rules are in other countries, but here's my recent experience. I am American living in Indonesia so flying back to have docs authenticated and visas done is not practical.

I used an agency based in Washington, D.C. (Capitol of USA).

First, they got my diploma authenticated and stamped by the Chinese consulate. Now they are processing my Z visa.

My advice is to use an agency in the Capitol city of your home country.

These agencies usually have a working business relationship with the government agencies which makes the process smoother. If there is a problem, the agency can usually work it out.

Also, getting stamps from the "big boys" in government is much better than some other smaller city since all the other consulates refer to the main embassy.

All good info except that in the U.S., the Chinese consulates require applicants to use the consulate which has jurisdiction over the applicant's particular state.

I am unsure if this map is still current (it probably is), but here's what one Chinese consulate says about jurisdiction in the U.S. :

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/zmzlljs/t84229.htm

Travel Document Systems and Visa Rite can probably serve all Chinese consulates in the U.S..

Good luck.
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came to the conclusion early on that using an agent was best. Especially with the high cost of public transport into/out of London. Trains into London plus things like lunch whilst there, other costs would cost me upwards of $50+ a trip.

Anyways, I therefore mailed off my degree, paid the $240 fee and sat back for ten days, got it back without leaving my chair.
jaybet3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh! Another thing to stress about. I sent an email to the agent processing my application about residence jurisdiction and will post their reply.

Hard to believe that the embassy wouldn't have jurisdiction over the consulate-general.

Just another brick in the wall .....
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaybet3 wrote:
Argh! Another thing to stress about. I sent an email to the agent processing my application about residence jurisdiction and will post their reply.

Hard to believe that the embassy wouldn't have jurisdiction over the consulate-general.

Just another brick in the wall .....

Don't be discouraged. The agent probably forwarded it to the supposed "correct" consulate or he does enough business with his local consulate to get the job done regardless of the "rules". People who do this for a living can get things done. Things often turn out better than one might think.
littlec

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject: authentication of academic quals Reply with quote

I'm just doing the same thing but a little easier since I'm am Aussie currently home in Aus. Step 1 find "Notary Public" to certify true copy of degree/academic transcript pay fee Step 2 visit DFAT and pay for Authentication (they check the veracity of the Notary Public) Step 3 take original degree now certified by Notary and authenticated by DFAT to Chinese Embassy or Consul and apply for authenticaton (another fee) . Step 4 send authenticated document to China for application for FEC Step 5 receive invitation letter and FEC paper work from PRC Step 6 apply for Z visa
In your case it would be much easier to use an agent but you'll need to part with your passport and original academic records.
Tazz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite honestly, unless the job was paying handsomely....or maybe 'reasonably'-in excess of 15 thou + furnished accommodation, I just couldn't be arsed with the steps described.......that's a considerable amount of your own coin being spent...for what? For me China has been a relatively easy option as it were regarding the application process rewarded by a moderate salary. They just ain't paying enough to justify jumping through so many hoops....
Spelunker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: re:someone with a pair and a spine.... Reply with quote

Quote:
Quite honestly, unless the job was paying handsomely....or maybe 'reasonably'-in excess of 15 thou + furnished accommodation, I just couldn't be arsed with the steps described.......that's a considerable amount of your own coin being spent...for what? For me China has been a relatively easy option as it were regarding the application process rewarded by a moderate salary. They just ain't paying enough to justify jumping through so many hoops....

That's why I stayed in HK, rather than jump through their bloody stupid hoops. Glad to see there is one poster who has a pair, and is not afraid to speak out. To use cockney rhyming slang, it's taking the Arthur Bliss mate, they are having a bath, aren't they?
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I got it authed because I figured in future, if I wanted to do Korea or Japan or something I may need it, so it's like a one off lifetime payment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: