Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NET Scheme questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mitsui

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah,
well I learned more about this by a current NET teacher.
He works in Kowloon. It just seems to me that those from the UK would be favored, due to their education background.. I can apply but I have my doubts.
Japan is just getting to be a harder place to work, so it sounds like a time for a change. If not Hong Kong, then China.

Eight years as a high school teacher in Japan must count for something as teaching at universities for 10 years, seven of them full-time.
I taught drama and singing too, and ran a club for a few years.
gemerald

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just jumping in here but does anyone know if having work experience in a Language Centre would be favorably looked upon, or whether a local HK Primary/ Secondary school would be more favorably looked upon by the NET powers that be?

I have an offer from both and am trying to decide which one to take. If it doesn't have a HUGE knock on effect on my NET chances I am inclined to go for the language school as its location is more convenient and salary and benefits higher - which I kinda need for my first year in HK!

Thanks for any input!
mitsui

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is good enough for the Diploma/Certificate of Teacher Training Qualification?
My practicum is listed on the MA transcript, for six credits.
If it is just the MA diploma, I can do that.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmbf wrote:
If you include the special allowance (housing allowance) of approx HKD 21K / month .

I am curious, how much of that will you actually need to use for rent and utilities?
Jmbf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimadecaomei wrote:
I am curious, how much of that will you actually need to use for rent and utilities?

Completely depends on your lifestyle preferences and how frugal you want to be. If you are willing to flatshare, your entire rent and utilities could be less than 7-8K / month. If you want a modern flat to yourself in the centre of town budget at least 10-15K / month. If you want a larger flat suitable for a family your rent could easily be 20-25K++ / month.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gemerald wrote:
Just jumping in here but does anyone know if having work experience in a Language Centre would be favorably looked upon, or whether a local HK Primary/ Secondary school would be more favorably looked upon by the NET powers that be?

I have an offer from both and am trying to decide which one to take. If it doesn't have a HUGE knock on effect on my NET chances I am inclined to go for the language school as its location is more convenient and salary and benefits higher - which I kinda need for my first year in HK!

Thanks for any input!

Language centre work is rarely considered as 'proper' teaching experience. Work in a local school would definitely be looked upon more favourably.

Quite curious as to how a language centre position would have better salary and benefits than a position in a local school? Even if the salary were equivalent, normally language centre work involves more hours and much less time off.
mitsui

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannot get the CNCC. The Japanese police want a form or letter from the Board of ED, but this is not provided on the NET website.
I sent an e-mail to them but no response so far.

So I have to ask the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
CEB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:
Cannot get the CNCC. The Japanese police want a form or letter from the Board of ED, but this is not provided on the NET website.
I sent an e-mail to them but no response so far.

So I have to ask the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

I said earlier, you can do this in HK
mitsui

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't live there and don't have time or money to go there.
If I can apply without the CNCC I can do that.

In general people need a police clearance form before they will get a visa, in the rest of the world.
mitsui

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do I need letters from the places I went to school stating that I did indeed study there? Just the copies of the diplomas is not enough?
enterthedragon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HK board od education are advertising on TES for NETS. 67000 HK$ a month is the top salary for a secondary English teacher PLUS 20k accommodation allowance.

It's a good gig if you can get the top pay. WHat's their criteria for the top wack does anyone know?

How much income tax do you pay if you are single with no kids on 67000 a month?
Jmbf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enterthedragon wrote:

How much income tax do you pay if you are single with no kids on 67000 a month?

On that income you would pay approx HK 101K in tax as a single with no kids (working out to an effective tax rate of around 12.5%).

You can calculate your tax using the HK IRD website (just google it).
mitsui

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applied. My Statement of Service had to be changed, and it had to be stated what the percentage of time I taught junior and senior high school was. I was not sure what that meant. I had worked at a combined K-12 school with four divisions.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:
I applied. My Statement of Service had to be changed, and it had to be stated what the percentage of time I taught junior and senior high school was. I was not sure what that meant. I had worked at a combined K-12 school with four divisions.

Best of luck! Let us know how it works out.
mitsui

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My impression was that having prior experience running a club was good. I think that because it is a competitive position, having extra experience in something else would help. One current NET I know can also teach French.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: