Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taxis versus car rentals in Muscat ????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaharaDesert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Taxis versus car rentals in Muscat ???? Reply with quote

Are there lots of taxis in Muscat ?
Are they metered ?

Does anyone know how much it costs to rent a basic car per month in Muscat ?
Roses189

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found taxis in Muscat to be expensive and often don't use the meter even if they have one. A basic car such as a Toyota Yaris should cost around RO175 a month but it pays to shop around.
SaharaDesert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

175 OR car rental per month ?
How current is that information?
Can I PM you ?
Roses189

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes if course. Pm me. I handed my car in last week. Not in Muscat but it should be more competitive there. If not I can give you the details of who I hire from out of town
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget taxis and car rentals in Muscrat...I found travelling in a minivan or shuttle around the city to be easier, healthier and was able to save more money. Just find a place to stay near your college or school and you'll be fine Enjoy Oh Man!!!!
Charlie123

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always make sure to agree on the price of the ride before you get in the taxi. Unmetred taxis often charge a different price if you appear to be from a western country. Often, this price is much higher than for other nationalities. It is possible to negotiate, though (BEFORE you get in the cab). Also, it's possible to arrange for a taxi driver to pick you up and drop you off every day for a reasonable price. I know two university instructors who did this for an entire school year. It cost them 40 riyals a month for a 15 minute cab ride, each way. This was in Salalah, but I think Muscat would be similar.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We South Africans usually get charged less than other nationalities by minivan and Muscrat taxi drivers..I believe this is due to our being considered "Africans" so nationality does play a part in all this in Oh Man. Shocked
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised Uber hasn't yet hit Oman.
Tazz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOD edit
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

I suspect that they haven't been allowed in because the government wants to make sure that all taxis are driven by Omanis.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
nomad soul wrote:

I suspect that they haven't been allowed in because the government wants to make sure that all taxis are driven by Omanis.

I'm not promoting Uber; however, that shouldn't stop Omanis from working for the company as an option. Confused

By the way, I loved riding in the ladies/families-only taxis in the UAE. Cool
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
I'm not promoting Uber; however, that shouldn't stop Omanis from working for the company as an option. Confused

I would guess it is because they know that it would be overrun and overtaken by all those hard-working sub-continentals with cars.

VS
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Don't ask - just pay the price Reply with quote

Except for the airport taxs, there are no meters.
I never negotiate the taxi fare beforehand to avoid the endless haggling that follows.Just ask a couple of (male) students what they pay going from A to B by taxi, that's the price.
Hail a cab, jump in the back and mutter the destination in Arabic. As soon as the cab is there, toss the correct amount of baizas and jump out to be on your merry way.
Most cabbies will accept this technique. If the odd one complains, reply in Arabic that you know the price as you keep walking away.
For regular pick-ups (to work or Arabic classes), get a sub-cab. There are plenty of male drivers from the sub-continent (India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh...), who are reliable, cheap and pleasant. If you are a female, Arabic female drivers are an option. Just ask your female students (be discrete) for contact details.
Naturally, these drivers are not legal taxis but if a friend, neighbour or work colleague gives you a lift, its much the same.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Don't ask - just pay the price Reply with quote

Whatever will be wrote:
I never negotiate the taxi fare beforehand to avoid the endless haggling that follows.Just ask a couple of (male) students what they pay going from A to B by taxi, that's the price.
Hail a cab, jump in the back and mutter the destination in Arabic. As soon as the cab is there, toss the correct amount of baizas and jump out to be on your merry way.
Most cabbies will accept this technique. If the odd one complains, reply in Arabic that you know the price as you keep walking away.

In the Gulf, I always had a car, but this is exactly the technique that I used successfully in Cairo for many years. You do need at least a bit of Arabic to do it... have your students teach you.

VS
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: The problem wirh cars Reply with quote

A car creates the following problems:
* No car parking, especially around the workplace as there are hundreds of students and teachers who are in need of parking space.
* Texting and speeding locals who will crash into you and blame you for it as the stranger who has no clue about driving in their country.
* Going out at night and having a few drinks means taking a taxi anyway.
* For travel into the wadis or up the mountains, hiring a 4 wheel drive for the weekend is necessary.
* The cost of the car eats significantly into the already modest salary and won't allow for saving any money.

My suggestion: find a place near work, walk to work or arrange regular transportation with a colleague or cheap illegal drivers, hire a car/4 wheel drive on a day/weekend basis if the need arises and save the monthly 170-180 car rental cost plus petrol, insurance, maintenance, traffic fines, etc.. That's a good 2000 Rials per year which you can use to buy 30 days of extra annual leave and some money to travel outside of Oman.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: