Site Search:
 
Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Political Plagiarism
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dr X



Joined: 04 Jul 2016
Posts: 84
Location: Everywhere

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Political Plagiarism Reply with quote

Was Donald Trump’s wife’s address to the Republican convention a blatant steal from Michelle Obama (and Rick Astley)? Or was it all an elaborate act of sabotage by a rogue speechwriter?
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/shortcuts/2016/jul/19/melania-trump-speech-she-couldnt-make-it-up-michelle-obama
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steki47



Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Posts: 1029
Location: BFE Inaka

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Political Plagiarism Reply with quote

Dr X wrote:
Was Donald Trump’s wife’s address to the Republican convention a blatant steal from Michelle Obama (and Rick Astley)? Or was it all an elaborate act of sabotage by a rogue speechwriter?
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/shortcuts/2016/jul/19/melania-trump-speech-she-couldnt-make-it-up-michelle-obama



This sounds familiar to me.
https://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2008/02/20/the-obama-plagiarism-scandal/

Sabotage? Possible. Bad troll? Maybe.

In any case, I am sure it will destroy Trump's campaign. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guerciotti



Joined: 13 Feb 2009
Posts: 842
Location: In a sleazy bar killing all the bad guys.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Political Plagiarism Reply with quote

steki47 wrote:

This sounds familiar to me.
https://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2008/02/20/the-obama-plagiarism-scandal/

Sabotage? Possible. Bad troll? Maybe.

In any case, I am sure it will destroy Trump's campaign. Very Happy


So the main difference being, Obama had permission.

I think Trump did it deliberately.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
asiannationmc



Joined: 13 Aug 2014
Posts: 1342

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biden, running for president when he was accused of plagiarism admitted plagiarism, Barack Obama comparison is more similar, as he was accused of lifting pieces of a speech from another politician; however, he was also the candidate, and Melania is not. could it be that the alleged plagiarist plagiarized from another alleged plagiarist, by the way I lifted part of this post from a previously published article on the possibility of Michelle lifting some of her speech from a 92' book on Business in Africa ...early on ... many punk groups were accused of lifting riffs and chords from other Musicians much like Led Zip lifted from Randy California and Spirit .... it's the universal E chord y'all ....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steki47



Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Posts: 1029
Location: BFE Inaka

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Political Plagiarism Reply with quote

Guerciotti wrote:
I think Trump did it deliberately.


In the spirit of trolling, I certainly hope so.

Michael Obama borrowed a bit from Saul Alinsky. Solid radical activist points, bro!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr X



Joined: 04 Jul 2016
Posts: 84
Location: Everywhere

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Political Plagiarism Reply with quote

steki47 wrote:
Michael Obama borrowed a bit from Saul Alinsky. Solid radical activist points, bro!

Michael?

It is Michelle Obama not Michael Obama.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johnslat



Joined: 21 Jan 2003
Posts: 13859
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Dr. X,

Oh, it would seem that you're unaware of what some right-wing loonies are claiming.


http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/2015/06/persistent-information-surfaces-that-michelle-obama-was-born-a-man-video-3166390.html

Just more trumpery, of course. Very Happy

trumpery
noun trum·pery \ˈtrəm-p(ə-)rē\
Popularity: Top 30% of words
Definition of trumpery

1 a : worthless nonsense
b : trivial or useless articles : junk <a wagon loaded with household trumpery — Washington Irving>

2 archaic : tawdry finery

Regards,
John
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spiral78



Joined: 05 Apr 2004
Posts: 11496
Location: On a Short Leash

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
b : trivial or useless articles : junk <a wagon loaded with household trumpery



Hmmm. Just watching some footage of Trump's 'trumphic' aircraft arrival tonight;-)

Household trumpery, indeed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steki47



Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Posts: 1029
Location: BFE Inaka

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear Dr. X,

Oh, it would seem that you're unaware of what some right-wing loonies are claiming.


http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/2015/06/persistent-information-surfaces-that-michelle-obama-was-born-a-man-video-3166390.html

Just more trumpery, of course. Very Happy

trumpery
noun trum·pery \ˈtrəm-p(ə-)rē\
Popularity: Top 30% of words
Definition of trumpery

1 a : worthless nonsense
b : trivial or useless articles : junk <a wagon loaded with household trumpery — Washington Irving>

2 archaic : tawdry finery

Regards,
John




joke
noun \ˈjōk\

Simple Definition of joke
: something said or done to cause laughter
: a brief story with a surprising and funny ending

Hugs and kisses,
Steki
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johnslat



Joined: 21 Jan 2003
Posts: 13859
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear steki47,

Those people aren't "joking."

Regards,
John
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steki47



Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Posts: 1029
Location: BFE Inaka

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear steki47,

Those people aren't "joking."

Regards,
John


No, we aren't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johnslat



Joined: 21 Jan 2003
Posts: 13859
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear steki47,

Which is pretty sad - if you go for crap like that.

Regards,
John
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steki47



Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Posts: 1029
Location: BFE Inaka

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear steki47,

Which is pretty sad - if you go for crap like that.

Regards,
John


SAD!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nomad soul



Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 11353
Location: The real world

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on the topic...

Oddly, Meredith McIver, the Trump Organization's writer who "helped" Melania write her speech (and later apologized), majored in English. The concept of plagiarism isn't unknown to her. Poor judgment, or simply being sloppy?

"Melania Trump's speech: How do you define plagiarism?"
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2016/0720/Melania-Trump-s-speech-How-do-you-define-plagiarism
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adventious



Joined: 23 Nov 2015
Posts: 237
Location: In the wide

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Oddly, Meredith McIver...majored in English. The concept of plagiarism isn't unknown to her. Poor judgment, or simply being sloppy?

"Melania Trump's speech: How do you define plagiarism?"
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2016/0720/Melania-Trump-s-speech-How-do-you-define-plagiarism
I'd wish her alma mater named and shamed unless they rescind/revoke her degree.
The judgement passed on Arts degree holders is bad enough-- what excuses this silly jackass might trot out for theft, or the rhetoric of partisan pundits seeking to blur what "defines" plagiarism, is professionally damaging.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2018 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Teaching Jobs in China
Teaching Jobs in China