Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Former JETs to improve tourism

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject: Former JETs to improve tourism Reply with quote

Quote:

Ex-JET teachers eyed to help improve English-language tourist information

JUL 19, 2016
Former Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme participants (JET program) could be tapped to improve English-language information at cultural landmarks under a proposal being considered by the Cultural Affairs Agency.

Enlisting the help of former JET program alumni will be mentioned in a report on how to improve English-language signs, fliers and other information for cultural assets such as temples and shrines, the agency said Tuesday.

The report will be released at the end of this month, said Miyuki Tajima, an official with the agency. She noted that municipal governments will be encouraged to find ways to make such facilities more user-friendly for foreign visitors.

--snip--

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/07/19/national/ex-jet-teachers-eyed-help-improve-english-language-tourist-information/#.V48TGZDyqrU

On the one hand, it's sad that local Japanese information sources are so poor, and on the other, this is an opportunity for informed JET alumni to contribute to improved off-the-beaten-path tourism.
Black_Beer_Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why they're focusing on enlisting the help of ex-JET teachers when there are plenty of even more qualified foreigners to help with tourist brochures.

I am thinking about university professors, public school teachers, any foreigners that are married to Japanese citizens and have families.

Most JET teachers are inexperienced newly-graduated university students who may spend 1 > 3 years in Japan. That's not that much time.
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former JET program participants I worked next to, or preceded me, are now university professors, school teachers, members of Japanese families, and a great number of them are conversant, if not fluent, in Jaoanese.

For the last two weeks, former JETs have been teaching an intensive English course at my school, and all of them have detailed knowledge of the prefectures and regions in which hey were placed. Foreign language information on those regions is sparse.

I was a JET years ago, and within the first six months of my placement, became conversant in the local dialect of my region, Nanyoben. I was also sent out by my city hall to document local festivals in photos and articles for English publications. While on my JET placement, I was often asked to guide foreign visiting teachers and travelers because I could translate from the local dialect to English and French.

My predecessor, who is now a prof at an American university where she teaches Japanese language and literature, wrote for local newspapers. She's fully bilingual.

I used to work for a municipal government where, amongst teaching and teacher training assignments, I translated local folk tales into English.

I now work for a private high school where I task my English Speaking Society club to provide current info on traditional and pop culture, and events. There are next to no foreign language sources. It's an opportunity for them, with guidance, to use their limited English to promote the area.

There is a huge untapped resource in former JET participants.

I've coached a few JET applicants and they now work across the Kanto region. All of them, and me, are part of Japanese families.

Last edited by TokyoLiz on Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total
scrying

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JET likely needs a bit of a boost in the eyes of the bean counters, particularly if they are thinking of ever trying to expand again. Showing other uses for them specifically (rather than tapping a much larger and readily available pool) gives them the public reps they need. Also, they'd likely try to get them to do it gratis or on the cheap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mitsui

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not say just being in JET makes them better qualified than others.
I have been here for 15 years, but was not in JET.

It is dumb to contact people who don't even live in Japan, or don't know the language well enough.
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granted, JET participants are not necessarily more qualified than other non-Japanese resident here. However, the JET Program provides a screening process on intake, and alumni association that helps vets cooperate and coordinate plans.

I would expect that that a project to engage JET alumni would appeal to Japan residents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: