Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many teach online, have, or plan to (even partly)?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many teach online, have, or plan to (even partly)?
1a) I now teach EXCLUSIVELY online through a 3rd party service—students pay them, they pay me.
14%
 14%  [ 4 ]
1b) I now teach PREDOMINATELY online through a 3rd party service.
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
1c) I now teach PARTLY online through a 3rd party service.
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
1d) I TRIED teaching online through a 3rd party service.
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
1e) I’d CONSIDER teaching online through a 3rd party service IF…
22%
 22%  [ 6 ]
2a) I now teach EXCLUSIVELY online independently—students come to me and pay me directly.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
2b) I now teach PREDOMINATELY online independently.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
2c) I now teach PARTLY online independently.
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
2d) I TRIED teaching online independently.
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
2e) I’d CONSIDER teaching online independently IF…
29%
 29%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 27

LongShiKong

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: How many teach online, have, or plan to (even partly)? Reply with quote

Given the growing number of online ELT providers and queries about online ELT, I thought it might be worth a survey. While much of online teaching seems to be through a 3rd party that provides the students and materials, it's the exceptions I think, most of us are interested in. For example, a friend of mine who predominantly teaches groups in his Vancouver home, often teaches someone online who's been referred to him from a face-to-face client (and are not in Canada). In addition, I wonder how many do a mix of F2F and online with the same student(s) or start off F2F, then switch to online for the convenience of their (adult) clients.

As a resource that someone else posted on the most complete on-line school list in universe thread, here again is a List of Online English Teaching Companies (Last update: July 19th, 2016) As might be expected, salaries range from $3 to 32/hr. Here in Canada, tutoring services charge $40/hr and I assume pay teachers $20-30/hr, if that's any comparison.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the option for "none of the above"?

spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I guess you have to exercise your option not to participate, as I have Wink

I used to do proficiency testing online in my (very small) spare time. Dullest*job*ever*. Secretly thrilled when the company dried up and blew away.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me out too. However, I'm curious as to how potential employers abroad perceive online teaching. In the picky Mid East, it's not counted as valid experience for classroom teaching positions.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it on a couple of CVs over the past few years (rather surprisingly; I honestly think in many cases it would be better to leave it off). I think the stereotype is that online teachers have few/low qualifications - why else would they work for the peanuts most online companies pay?

However, I know that's not always the case, and I have heard that in some job markets online teaching can provide a reasonable income supplement.

I believe we have a couple of members here at Dave's who supplement their income with teaching online. Maybe they'll be around soon to provide a more balanced perspective.
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach online, albeit it in a very specified field related to law.

I leave it off the CV, brick and mortar schools aren't interested in online.

In theory, I could find more work online and then go sit on a beach in a cheap SEA country and live off that, but it gets lonely and boring sitting in your house all day working.

I will go to China and continue to work online. I will live off my online earnings and bank my entire 'real school' savings.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Quote:

I guess you have to exercise your option not to participate, as I have Wink

This web app limits the number of poll options so I had to delete that one along with one for anyone who may have switched from 1 to 2. I imagine a number of 2s teach test-prep, business or ESP. I recall coming across a Toronto-based accent reduction 'school' website a number of years ago with lots of well-designed free resources---video clips, a tutorial-type quiz, etc., all intended, I presume, to establish the professionalism of the creator.

I'll ask the friend in Vancouver his hourly rate(s) for (1-1) online and find out what (F2F) tutoring services here in Canada pay their tutors.
hollysuel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught online for about 10 years. I learned a lot about the dos and don'ts in the industry and was given a lot of different opportunities including teacher training and being part of international projects that I would never would have had the opportunity if I had not taught online. I have worked independently, with 3rd parties and have run projects where I hired and trained teachers for clients.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hollysuel wrote:
I taught online for about 10 years. I learned a lot about the dos and don'ts in the industry and was given a lot of different opportunities including teacher training and being part of international projects that I would never would have had the opportunity if I had not taught online. I have worked independently, with 3rd parties and have run projects where I hired and trained teachers for clients.

I presume it was practical considerations that got you into online teaching: i.e. raising a family, living in an English-speaking environment, etc. Was your hiring/training all online too?
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday, I had to register with a #1, a 3rd party F2F and/or online* service bordering on #2---the Uber of F2F tutoring (?)---to find out how much autonomy their teachers have and what their take is. You describe your course offerings and charge what you want. The commission is 20% individuals and 35% for groups. I'm not sure how many of these services exist or how much of their take goes into marketi but just yesterday someone here PMed me asking me if I wanted to partner up in starting one.

* edit

Last edited by LongShiKong on Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick shout, I've worked for quite a while online and I've definitely come to the conclusion I'm not going with the 'pitch your tent and wait for customers' idea. I only work for actual schools or people that contact me. I'm not going to post my video and pics and everything and 'wait' for someone to book. The reason is that it becomes a meat market and you get American's living in Philippines and Thailand that offer classes for $8 an hour or something.
hollysuel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LongShiKong wrote:
hollysuel wrote:

I presume it was practical considerations that got you into online teaching: i.e. raising a family, living in an English-speaking environment, etc. Was your hiring/training all online too?

The hiring and training was all online. I got into online teaching for the flexibility that allowed me to work anywhere.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarssonCrew wrote:
Just a quick shout, I've worked for quite a while online and I've definitely come to the conclusion I'm not going with the 'pitch your tent and wait for customers' idea. I only work for actual schools or people that contact me.

Do you mean, you tried #2 and switched to #1? That's an option I hadn't thought of.

LarssonCrew wrote:
I'm not going to post my video and pics and everything and 'wait' for someone to book. The reason is that it becomes a meat market and you get American's living in Philippines and Thailand that offer classes for $8 an hour or something.

By "meat market", you seem to imply appearance more than ability is what attracts students. You've got me wondering how common is it among online schools to provide prospective students with pics and vids in addition to written descriptions and testimonials.

hollysuel wrote:
The hiring and training was all online. I got into online teaching for the flexibility that allowed me to work anywhere.

It seems some online schools reduce their commission (take of your income) after you prove yourself an asset to their reputation. Did that happen in your case? Did you feel they were giving you a fair rate?
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarssonCrew wrote:
I teach online, albeit it in a very specified field related to law. I leave it off the CV, brick and mortar schools aren't interested in online.

And judging by this report, looks like the bi players aren't interested in brick and mortar schools anymore either:

Quote:
Global Online Language Learning Market
NEW YORK, June 15, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- About the Online Language Learning Market

Online language learning consists of digital content and solutions that facilitate the learning of languages through ICT tools and platforms, such as mobile apps, e-Books, games, videos, audio clips, digital software, learning lab equipment, and online tutoring. These tools and avenues are interactive, allow real-time feedback, and enhance learning processes as they involve different formats to impart information. Among the languages spoken globally, English has emerged as the most preferred language to learn followed by Mandarin Chinese.

Technavio's analysts forecast the global online language learning market to grow at a CAGR of 10.9% during the period 2016-2020.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]http://www.ambientinsight.com/Library/Images/Effects/AmbientInsight-WorldwideLanguageMarket-2020.jpg[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: